Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Spotify Unwrapped 2022: it comes around earlier every year

I didn’t think I listened to Spotify as it has nothing to offer me or attract me in any way, and yet I got this:
37E417B6-8CA6-4BBC-A9BD-C5DC437D50CF.png

I love Ministry. Not so much the new stuff but "Mind is a terrible thing to taste"and" the Land Of Rape and Honey" are seminal albums in that genre.

Amazed how many actual music fans seem to use this service - why? Not judging cos of how badly they serve the musicians. It’s just such a shit platform for finding old music and discovering new and yet people who actually like music seem to be using it loads.

I don't have a CD player or turntable in my office, or when I'm out. And it is a useful way of checking out interesting stuff before you purchase. Which I then do.

I'll still be knocking out a top thirty for the AotY, all of which I've bought (bare one or two at the moment) as well as the old stuff that I've picked up as well. But Spotify is still useful and artists do at least get a tiny bit more than they would if I only listened to the record I've already bought.

I only really listen to offline music so it’s not worth paying a tenner a month for IMO as it’s not that convenient for me to listen to. And I’m too lazy to pick and choose playlists, so I rarely bother to use it. I’ll stick with my google drive, offline music player and 500gb storage on my phone

I usually have music playing when I'm at work and it's handy being able to just stick one or two playlists on that'll last all day and be a mix of tunes I like and a few things I haven't heard before but will probably also like. I do sometimes decide I want to listen to a particular album but planning out what I'll listen to for 8+ hours every day? Nah, I'm happy to let the algorithm decide for me tbh :oops: I know they're shit but so is everything, so I just buy t-shirts and stuff at gigs and tell myself at least they're getting some money off me that way

I only really listen to offline music so it’s not worth paying a tenner a month for IMO as it’s not that convenient for me to listen to. And I’m too lazy to pick and choose playlists, so I rarely bother to use it. I’ll stick with my google drive, offline music player and 500gb storage on my phone
Sticking to music you already own is a much worse way to discover new music, to be fair.

Amazed how many actual music fans seem to use this service - why? Not judging cos of how badly they serve the musicians. It’s just such a shit platform for finding old music and discovering new and yet people who actually like music seem to be using it loads.
It's another way to listen to and explore music. For me it's part of a balanced diet that also includes listening to CDs, vinyl, tapes, downloads, bandcamp and soundcloud. If I hear about an artist or album or different style of mysic I'm curious about I can go on Spotify to check it out, and there's a good chance they'll have it.

It's not the main way I listen to or discover music - I found it funny that listening once to one album + one song by Taylor Swift makes her my Spotify 'Top Artist This Year' - but then I'm a music nerd. I can easily see how people could spend their whole time using Spotify and find it provides everything they need.

As for how badly artists are served, yes it was the final nail in the coffin of paying £15 to even hear an album, but Napster and Limewire and Soulseek and YouTube were already eroding that, for old albums artists didn't see anything from second hand sales anyway and without free access to music (including Spotify) there's absolutely shitloads I would just never have listened to and then maybe buy.

Personally, I find it useful... it does occasionally put me on to new stuff, but I also listen to various radio shows as well (and then I like any interesting tracks on Spotify, so as I can come back to them and other music by the same artist). :confused: Also really handy if you like playlists and/or shuffling.

Personally, I find it useful... it does occasionally put me on to new stuff, but I also listen to various radio shows as well (and then I like any interesting tracks on Spotify, so as I can come back to them and other music by the same artist). :confused: Also really handy if you like playlists and/or shuffling.
Yup. Different people have different habits and needs. It’s not really a surprise. My preferred way to listen to music is on CD. But Spotify is part of my “balanced diet”, as somebody else put it. It’s got its downsides, but also its uses.

Back
Top Bottom