Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Split within the IWW?

The Glasgow branch is mostly AFed afaik so you're much more likely to be joining the purer but never successfully organised much union as opposed to the politically dodgy but at least has a win and workplace branches union.

I'm not joining the Glasgow branch, I am in London. The Glasgow address is the address they state on their website for everyone to send new application forms to.

I'm not joining the Glasgow branch, I am in London. The Glasgow address is the address they state on their website for everyone to send new application forms to.

I know, the Glasgow branch hosts the membership secretary for the IWW-BIRA faction as opposed to the IWGB faction.

Exactly. Applying to the IWW using the IWW system, so hopefully (if that's what you want) you'll become an IWW member.

I know, the Glasgow branch hosts the membership secretary for the IWW-BIRA faction as opposed to the IWGB faction.

It's the only address given, so prospective members hardly have any choice.

What a great start this is turning out to be. :rolleyes:

If these IWGB founders were not clearly manipulative trot/stalinists I would totally sympathise with their desire to break out of the crusty dusty old anarcho/left ghetto

If these IWGB founders were not clearly manipulative trot/stalinists I would totally sympathise with their desire to break out of the crusty dusty old anarcho/left ghetto

Yes if the cleaners branch had collectively made the decision to break for independence I think it would have been the correct one, the crusties and activists would have only held them back.

Yes if the cleaners branch had collectively made the decision to break for independence I think it would have been the correct one, the crusties and activists would have only held them back.
As it is the IWGB's new leaders will now spend their energy in a faction fight, propping up their new organisation's legitimacy, etc. Like a Roman prefect taking the legions from Britain for a shot at the purple.

I suspect that their politics are being rather "oversimplified" here. Ford, if I remember correctly, is ex-AWL because he left as the bag carrier of a certain D. Broder when the Commune was being set up. So he's probably not a Trotskyist in any sense that other Trotskyists would recognise.

(Is he also the guy who occasionally promotes stuff linked to the Ukrainian multiple-personality fraudsters, or am I getting him confused with someone else?)

I suspect that their politics are being rather "oversimplified" here. Ford, if I remember correctly, is ex-AWL because he left as the bag carrier of a certain D. Broder when the Commune was being set up.
What was the Commune? One of those post-left red party things? Or more like a crypto-left Counterfire thing?

that's what you think, good luck with it!

Well I'd been hopeful that IWW would actually grow towards a proper union, and that the Cleaners branch would be the start of real action and wins for our members in more than just representation. With the public sector unions being so lame, there's the chance for a more militant union, but getting enough members in any government body to force recognition would be difficult.
Nonetheless I was pleased to hear onket had joined because Unison were shit, and would love to have seen/heard of more of that happening. This split is only going to be bad :(

What was the Commune? One of those post-left red party things? Or more like a crypto-left Counterfire thing?

They are still about. Basically a small bunch of assorted ex-Trotskyists who read some Brinton and are easily impressed along with a few Anarchists disgruntled by their own milieu. Mostly a little discussion circle as far as I can tell from afar.

http://thecommune.co.uk/

(Beaten to it!)

Back
Top Bottom