Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Split within the IWW?

well given that, I really don't know what's going on here..
The IWW in London has been split (albeit internally) for a while now. The London Regional Committee was Ford, Durango & their pals; the London General Membership Branch was more libertarian in outlook, although by no means exclusively anarchist. A few weeks ago, an email was (deliberately?) leaked, saying that the cleaners branch didn't want anyone with red & black flags turning up in solidarity. Simultaneously, Durango was moaning about not getting support from the General Membership Branch. And also simultaneously, some materials for people wishing to do solidarity actions for the John Lewis cleaners appeared on the website of..... the Alliance for Workers Liberty.

If it wasn't for the cleaners themselves, and the fact that this has happened over their heads, I'd say leave the "leaders" of the IWGB to play with their new toy.

Aren't Ford and Durango cleaners themselves? Otherwise how were they involved with the strike?

The IWW in London has been split (albeit internally) for a while now. The London Regional Committee was Ford, Durango & their pals; the London General Membership Branch was more libertarian in outlook, although by no means exclusively anarchist. A few weeks ago, an email was (deliberately?) leaked, saying that the cleaners branch didn't want anyone with red & black flags turning up in solidarity. Simultaneously, Durango was moaning about not getting support from the General Membership Branch. And also simultaneously, some materials for people wishing to do solidarity actions for the John Lewis cleaners appeared on the website of..... the Alliance for Workers Liberty.

If it wasn't for the cleaners themselves, and the fact that this has happened over their heads, I'd say leave the "leaders" of the IWGB to play with their new toy.

I imagine the cleaners aren't that bothered and are happy to stick together and with the leaders who helped them achieve their victory...

Get out of the hen house then.

Who are you spitting them at though?

The IWW pro-cert wing, the pro-cert and lets go less radical wing, or the anti-cert wing? Do you know?

atm. my comprehension is weak and my articulation even less so but as a red card carrier in good standing of 10 years or so I'm against any form of cooperation with the employing classes. Call me IWW traditionalist.

I imagine the cleaners aren't that bothered and are happy to stick together and with the leaders who helped them achieve their victory...
It's worth looking at the Cleaner's Branch Facebook page to see the cleaner's reactions. Obviously, some are in favour or don't care one way or the other. Others are wondering why they weren't consulted. Although you have to be quick if you want to see those ones, as they seem to get deleted quite fast. (One's disappeared while I've been typing this :D). There's still this one though: "I am a member of the IWW cleaners branch. I disagree with the decision! ask other members!"

It's worth looking at the Cleaner's Branch Facebook page to see the cleaner's reactions. Obviously, some are in favour or don't care one way or the other. Others are wondering why they weren't consulted. Although you have to be quick if you want to see those ones, as they seem to get deleted quite fast. (One's disappeared while I've been typing this :D). There's still this one though: "I am a member of the IWW cleaners branch. I disagree with the decision! ask other members!"

Consult their members! In the middle of deciding for them? Whatever next etc Etc etc :D

I didn't realise you were an anti-organisationalist
I'm by no means anti-organisation. However, I find it strange to hear solfed demand a degree of political unity these two couldn't accept. Do you mean, simply, they're neither anarchists and unlikely to become anarchists, or that they're divisive? Organisations can be successful with a range of opinion represented inside, for example class war, afa, the labour and conservative parties.

I'm by no means anti-organisation. However, I find it strange to hear solfed demand a degree of political unity these two couldn't accept. Do you mesm, simply, they're neither anarchists and unlikely to become anarchists, or that they're divisive? Organisations can be successful with a range of opinion represented inside, for example class war, afa, the labour and conservative parties.

Ones a trot and ones a stalinist.

I think CWF in your days would have demanded a higher degree of unity than these two could accept.

Back
Top Bottom