Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Split within the IWW?

cleaners at 4 more London John Lewis Stores have got 9% payrises on the back of saying they would ballot for a strike, this is organised with IWW..

http://iww.org.uk/node/821

I don't know what this means in terms of IWGB etc., but I'm just happy to see that the momentum gained by the victory at Oxford Street hasn't been lost and that more JLP cleaners are organising and winning.. hopefully this will now spread around the UK.

I may be wrong but I would assume that this means the vast majority of cleaners re-joined the IWW and gave the other fools the old heave ho.

Good news anyway and fairplay to them - people may not think so but any real victory by workers under the umbrella of the IWW is a fantastic thing in my view.

I really like the idea of the IWW having some success and was even briefly a member myself.. some of there ideas aren't too far away from what the IWCA has done as well (as in trying to involve working class people, who would normally be ignored by the left and a bit of community organizing has been attempted). Unite are also trying to aim more in the community organizing direction as well, I've noticed. The IWW have some great principles but could do with a bit more direction and following through on more of there ideas?

As for the split... seems like pointless infighting in an organisation that is supposed to be above boring sectarianism right? I know some of their more experienced have been part of the Shop Stewards network?

I really like the idea of the IWW having some success and was even briefly a member myself.. some of there ideas aren't too far away from what the IWCA has done as well (as in trying to involve working class people, who would normally be ignored by the left and a bit of community organizing has been attempted). Unite are also trying to aim more in the community organizing direction as well, I've noticed. The IWW have some great principles but could do with a bit more direction and following through on more of there ideas?
Things like winning pay rises for cleaners is absolutely the right thing for the IWW to do. Hopefully after a few years of winning like this the IWW's organisation will be dominated by a new working-class base.

I do like the IWW stance on a fair few things and I support there successes. However I do believe it'll be a good while before the IWW really starts to become effective as a union. It's gonna be a slow, gradual process. However to be fair, from what I have seen of the IWW it does seem that most of those with experience (in some cases, a lifetime of) are bringing what they feel are the positives and the most relevant parts of trade unionism back.. not the bureaucratic, ineffectual, bullshit that other unions still practice.

As this seems to have become 'the IWW thread' I'll just post this here:

I run a screenprinting studio and have recently set up an online gallery to sell benefit art prints to raise money for different causes and organisations.

First run are up for sale on the website (below) - reproduction of Paris 68 posters as a benefit for the IWW (hence the post here!)

www.nosotrosprint.co.uk

@nosotrosprint
facebook.com/nosotrosprint

As this seems to have become 'the IWW thread' I'll just post this here:

I run a screenprinting studio and have recently set up an online gallery to sell benefit art prints to raise money for different causes and organisations.

First run are up for sale on the website (below) - reproduction of Paris 68 posters as a benefit for the IWW (hence the post here!)

www.nosotrosprint.co.uk

@nosotrosprint
facebook.com/nosotrosprint
How are the prints delivered? Rolled or flat?

They look nice, but a bit pricey!

You going to be doing other (non 68) ones?

Are they meant to be hung on a canvas (not sure what a canvas is to be honest)

Canvas is a heavy, woven fabric. Some people used to have canvas bags for carrying their lunch in. Old-fashioned tents, of the kind Scouts are portrayed using in films from the 1950s, were made of it. Artists stretch (the stretch is achieved by a wooden brace known as a spline) it across a wooden frame* and paint on it. This stretched-canvas-and-wooden-frame combo is what would be hung, once the artist has painted on it (or smeared it with elephant dung etc).

*This frame should not be confused with the decorative frame that might be on the finished work, which hides the tacks/staples holding the canvas to its stretcher frame.

yeah, i knew that
indifferent.gif

They look nice, but a bit pricey!

You going to be doing other (non 68) ones?

RE: Price - this is pretty standard for a hand screenprinted design on this kind of paper etc. Benefit as well so it doesn't go to getting me a beamer! ha

There are indeed many other prints in the pipeline including reproductions of other classical political posters, our own work, collaborations with some pretty big name artists as well as supporting up and coming local artists in the Brum area

Re: howyou hang - you just get 'em framed. Easy peasy

if by hanging them on a canvas, you mean stretching them as described above, then no, they'll tear!

If you mean can you attach them to an existing canvas with glue or similar, then sure. It'd be rather unusual, but nowt stopping you

Aaron John Bastani ‏@AaronBastani
(1/2) On 70% turnout 97% of IWGB union members voted for strike action on: recognition, protection of Garden Halls workers and #3cosas >

Strike days are Wednesday 27 Nov and Thursday 28 Nov, latter being Foundation Day when Chancellor Princess Anne bestows honorary degrees

If strike happens with full strike pay, union could mushroom. Hope fuckers who manage University of London can smell whats cooking #3cosas

Aaron John Bastani ‏@AaronBastani 4m
70% turnout, 97% vote to strike for two days. Union of around two hundred who are winning things. There is a reason why they left Unison.

cc aaronjohnpeters / Aaron Peters

Back
Top Bottom