Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Spain vs Holland, World Cup Final !!!

Just got back home. Too happy to care to some of the absurd comments here right now, but just to put something straight:

To those who said 'worst winner ever'- fuck you. Spain played the best football in the competition. End of. No amazing luck involved. No negative play. It might have not been spectacular, but they were the best quality side. And certainly a lot better than many a past winner. Was Italy a more deserving winner four years ago? The flying fuck they were. Was Brazil in 2002? Bullshit they were. Etc etc.

And shame to Holland for playing a truly dirty, negative, unpleasant game.

That's all, really :)

Not sure that Spain played the best football in the competition - they never really seemed to hit top gear, and never totally outplayed anyone like Germany v Australia/England/Argentina or Argentina in the group stage.BUT i still think they were the best squad there, and the fact that they won the tournament without ever really playing at their best probably reflects that.

And yes, it was a moral victory tonight. It's one thing to set out to stop a team playing; it's another to tackle one of their best players in the sternum.

Not sure that Spain played the best football in the competition - they never really seemed to hit top gear, and never totally outplayed anyone like Germany v Australia/England/Argentina or Argentina in the group stage.BUT i still think they were the best squad there, and the fact that they won the tournament without ever really playing at their best probably reflects that.

And yes, it was a moral victory tonight. It's one thing to set out to stop a team playing; it's another to tackle one of their best players in the sternum.

That was top gear. That was their best. There's nothing else. That's it - this fucking shit.

One of the dullest World Cup finals I've ever seen, I think.

Fwiw, Spain were much the better side on the night.

Not brilliant by any means, but good possession and chipped away and away and away, wearing down the opposition - as has been their MO tournament long. Not beautiful, but fairly effective.

As for the Dutch, only Robben really came to play, it seemed. They were very lucky not to lose a player earlier than they did. I was expecting them to be much better. If Robben had stuck his chance away, it could all have been so different. However, let's take nothing away from Casillas - he was getting grief earlier in the tournament from the commentators (yeah, I know) for not being a great keeper, but every time I've seen him he's been ace.

All this "worst side to win it" talk. Well, results show they're the best side in the tournament, their name's on the trophy and you can only beat the teams put in front of you - which they did. Perhaps not the best side to ever lift the cup, but certainly not the worst.

Just got back home. Too happy to care to some of the absurd comments here right now, but just to put something straight:

To those who said 'worst winner ever'- fuck you. Spain played the best football in the competition. End of. No amazing luck involved. No negative play. It might have not been spectacular, but they were the best quality side. And certainly a lot better than many a past winner. Was Italy a more deserving winner four years ago? The flying fuck they were. Was Brazil in 2002? Bullshit they were. Etc etc.

And shame to Holland for playing a truly dirty, negative, unpleasant game.

That's all, really :)

Que hijo de puta.

I'm gutted the Dutch didn't win , although I'm more gutted Germany finished in 3rd place .

My thoughts exactly

The final was pretty drab and scrappy and the reffing was inconsistent. I think a Germany-Holland final would have had a bit more spark to it.

Lots of sad looking Cloggies this morning

Germany should have won the world cup, but I'm glad Spain won, as I got them in work draw thingy :cool:

8 reasons why it sucked watching Spain win the world cup:

1) the arrogance proved correct: since day one they've been behaving like they only had to show up to win the thing, even after Switzerland beat them. Now they get to be all smug about being correct.

2) the victim complex: even today they've spent all day whinging about the "patadas" that they got off the Dutch. But fuck 'em, they got their free-kicks, they got their yellow cards (and a red), and they won, so stop fucking whinging. Any team with Fernando Torres and Sergio Busquets has fuck all to say about sportsmanship.

3) Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiki........................Taaaaaaaaaaa...........ka. Making out like they play the beautiful game, because they, incredibly ponderously, and incredibly unadventurously play keep ball. Fuck me, I'm so overwhelmed by such beautiful skills.

4) Yo soy español, español, español. Possibly the worst song in the history of football teams. Well done, you're spanish, do you want a medal?

5) monkey chants. Can we go 120 minutes against a team with black players without monkey chants? No. No, we can't.

6) Fernando Torres. Is a fucking cheat, and shit.

7) the octopus being right.

8) the fact it wasn't and probably never will be us.

1) If a team unbeaten in over 35 internationals can't be a tad arrogant then I dunno who can...oh Brazil maybe everyone's second favourite team based on some old footage :rolleyes:

2) Ditto any team with Mark Van Bommel, Brazil this World Cup, Rivaldo before that, Gerrard and his ability to always find a trailing leg that isn't there

3) I'd rather watch that than Robinho 24 million stepovers leading to nothing or England thinking playing a striker who's scored 3 goals is a good tactic where Plan B is hoof it upfield.

4) Three Lions is far, far worse

5) When? At this World Cup because i've not seen any reported.

6) Shit, yes. Cheat...possibly. Fucked? Absolutely

7) Yep dull

8) Not without more investment in coaching and youth players

1) If a team unbeaten in over 35 internationals can't be a tad arrogant then I dunno who can...oh Brazil maybe everyone's second favourite team based on some old footage :rolleyes:

Confident. Yes. Self-assured. The constant barrage of arrogance that been emitted from every possible place on the entire peninsular? Unbearable.

2) Ditto any team with Mark Van Bommel, Brazil this World Cup, Rivaldo before that, Gerrard and his ability to always find a trailing leg that isn't there

Except it's not the lack of sportsmanship I'm referring to. It's the victim complex. In 3 hours in work this morning, at least 10 separate people have whinged about the Dutch to me. Who gives a shit? You won - get over it. Don't expect the other team to roll over for you in a world cup final.

3) I'd rather watch that than Robinho 24 million stepovers leading to nothing or England thinking playing a striker who's scored 3 goals is a good tactic where Plan B is hoof it upfield.
Again. The style of play isn't the issue. It's the self-regard.
4) Three Lions is far, far worse
It is, for all it's faults, actually about football, rather than a sense of national superiority and chauvinism.

5) When? At this World Cup because i've not seen any reported.

Try last night in the pub. Or any other bar I've watched a game in here. Or at the Hyundai fan parks last night. Maybe, just maybe, they were too shame faced to actually do it in Africa. However, apparently, it's not racist, it's just jeering so that's alright.

100% countered by some unbelievable diving, tbh.

Yep, in the circumstances I think the Dutch tactic of roughing up was legit.

Spain are amazingly great in possession. Shame they just keep the ball trying to draw fouls instead of turning that amazing possession into amazing goals.

Webb's as good a referee as England is a football team.

Best refereeing of the tournament as well. He could have killed that game in half an hour if he'd been excitable or pointlessly stern. Great example of flexibility.

Good troll, butchers.

The ref would not have killed the game. The Dutch would have. It was an almighty fuck-up not to send off De Jong.

A very good thing that Spain won last night. Shame on the Dutch for trying to ruin the game.

Spain are undoubtedly a great team but it's not the kind of football I like to watch.

I don't think any ref could have emerged out of last night's game unscathed.

Spain are undoubtedly a great team but it's not the kind of football I like to watch.

I don't think any ref could have emerged out of last night's game unscathed.
You're probably right about the ref.

As for Spain, they didn't quite reach the heights of 2 years ago, probably needed an on-form Torres to do that. But they were still the best team and it is the type of football I like to watch. England need to sit up and learn – this should be the future.

You're probably right about the ref.

As for Spain, they didn't quite reach the heights of 2 years ago, probably needed an on-form Torres to do that. But they were still the best team and it is the type of football I like to watch. England need to sit up and learn – this should be the future.
I sincerely hope that endless possession and relentless passing with the very occasional goal to alleviate the boredom is not the future of football.

Yeah, it's shit watching Arsenal and Barcelona. Spain's star striker had a shocker, yet they still won.

I thought Spain were good to watch this time round even though they were profligate in front of goal. I thought they were absolutely fantastic to watch in 08.

Well done spain.
all you can do is beat the teams infront of you and thats exactly what you done.
doesnt matter if you win by showing absolute class or not. since when was a win measured by that. a win by a inch or a mile is still a win. you can hardly talk about bad sportsmanship for the players when holland couldnt 'turn it on ' either.They had every much chance as spain to win, but they couldnt take them. Holland never showed up in this match, and even i was disapointed with the lack of skill. but give them a break its not their fault, just wasnt to be .

congratulations to everyone in spain and everyone in the world who were happy to see such a great nation win :)

I thought Holland were crushingly disappointing. Get the ball back by kicking the opposition, then give it to Robben and see what he can do. They clearly had an inferiority complex. And they lived down to it. They were shit.

The nearly won the world cup with that plan. - which wasn't that different from Spain's (use our skills to pas it backwards, not like a viper ready to strike but like a sloe worm waiting for a farmer to fall over).

Back
Top Bottom