Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

South Africa V Mexico

RaverDrew

self-banned for a bit
R.I.P.
It's been a long time since we've had an explosive World Cup opener. In fact they are often dire, nervous affairs. I reckon we're due a cracker this time, and we'll see a high scoring game with 5+ goals.

Post your thoughts and predictions here.

Eight of the last 11 opening matches at World Cups have produced one goal or less.
South Africa have conceded nine goals in their three international encounters against Mexico.
Mexico have failed to win their two World Cup encounters against African sides, losing 1-3 to Tunisia in 1978 and drawing 0-0 with Angola in 2006.
Mexico have won their opening matches at the last three World Cups.
South Africa are only the third African side to play in an opening game at the World Cup, the previous two both won 1-0: Cameroon vs Argentina (1990) and Senegal vs France (2002).
Mexico have twice before appeared in the opening match of a World Cup, failing to score in both.

This tells you nothing .............

SA 3 - 1

It's been a long time since we've had an explosive World Cup opener. In fact they are often dire, nervous affairs. I reckon we're due a cracker this time, and we'll see a high scoring game with 5+ goals.

sounds like you've had a bet mate! :D

1-1.

Vela has lacked quality with his final ball and the mexican finishing has generally been off!!

Great chance for South Africa near the end from Pienaar's cross!

It's nice and open but needs goals to spark it properly

Edit : wasn't Pienaar.....it was someone else :D

Sounds like Mexico are having the same trouble finishing as they did against us.

Which is a shame, as I've got a couple of their players in my fantasy football team :(

It's the same every WC. Mexico play absolutely beautiful football and score bugger all.

The Guardian asks whether Mexico can 'live up to their billing as dark horses'. Surely once you're billed as a dark horse you are no longer very dark?

The Guardian asks whether Mexico can 'live up to their billing as dark horses'. Surely once you're billed as a dark horse you are no longer very dark?

Maybe it means that they are wondering whether Mexico will be as shit as people expect?

Also, Black Beauty is always billed as a dark horse and it is indeed very dark. Black, even.

Balls are flying well over today, aren't they?

Arnt they just?

I'm seriously concerned this world cup could be ruined with this stupid beach ball they're using. Why the fuck can't we just use a normal football. :(

Maybe it means that they are wondering whether Mexico will be as shit as people expect?

Also, Black Beauty is always billed as a dark horse and it is indeed very dark. Black, even.

It's a little known fact that Black Beauty was actually played by a male dog.

Genuinely entertaining first half.

Good to see that Parreira's passed on some of that Brazilian ambition to the Bafana Bafana.

Both sides need a striker though.

Back
Top Bottom