Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So who's tried a Greggs vegan sausage roll/steak bake?

it doesn't wind Morgan up, he'll have a sweet bonus for the sausage roll campaign too.
I doubt they actually payed him. It's just a mutually beneficial relationship surely.

ETA: though I meant theie fans and that type generally. My miserable right wing colleagues get no profit or even benefit for whining about vegan food because they heard someone on LBC spouting bile on the way to work.

I'd be paying Morgan to make sure he got angry about my new vegan product if I was launching one in the UK right now. And I'd be charging for the boost if I was Morgan too.

I'd be paying Morgan to make sure he got angry about my new vegan product if I was launching one in the UK right now. And I'd be charging for the boost if I was Morgan too.
You'd be wasting your money as the former (he'll happily attack you anyway even knowing that it's providing you with free publicity) and you'd be out of a job as the latter (not for corruption but you'd soon run out of things to be furious about if you only did it for dosh). Do you believe money has already changed hands between Greggs and Piers Morgan (other than when he pops in there for a couple of yum yums)?

Greggs have made so much money out of their vegan sausage rolls they've found a few pennies to chuck to their workers:

Greggs to pay workers £7m bonus after vegan sausage roll success

I have no idea what their pay is like in the first place so I'm not going to clain this is nice capitalism or anything but is fun if it winds up the Morgan/Clarkson/Ferrari types.

That’s great news for Greggs workers and also that quality vegan alternatives can be a big and successful market.

You'd be wasting your money as the former (he'll happily attack you anyway even knowing that it's providing you with free publicity) and you'd be out of a job as the latter (not for corruption but you'd soon run out of things to be furious about if you only did it for dosh). Do you believe money has already changed hands between Greggs and Piers Morgan (other than when he pops in there for a couple of yum yums)?
I've no idea - maybe. Possibly. But either way, the two responses of 'Piers Morgan, what a legend, he says what everyone thinks' and 'Piers Morgan, what a man-baby, triggered by vegetarian food again!' are responses he's seeking, they serve his ends (and Gregg's ends). Better to take no interest at all in anything dullard controversialists say IMO

Greggs have made so much money out of their vegan sausage rolls they've found a few pennies to chuck to their workers:

I have no idea what their pay is like in the first place so I'm not going to clain this is nice capitalism or anything but is fun if it winds up the Morgan/Clarkson/Ferrari types.
Given that most bosses ferret away any increased profits in their already overstuffed accounts, it's a far better gesture than most but still far short of my ideal profit sharing model.

I tried to the vegan steak bake yesterday. Its actually pretty good. The best way I can describe it is Quorn mince in a thick veggie gravy. There's no chunks of anything in there so in that regard the texture is a bit like a cheap meat one. Its not quite as rich as the meat one but its a decent effort. Veggies who don't like the taste of meat won't like it but that's clearly not the market. Would buy again.

Just had the subway meatless meatball marina. Was fine, been a long time since I had the meatball one but I don't think the texture of the meatless meatballs was quite right - most (if not all) the flavour is in the marinara sauce which is exactly the same on both. I wasn't that impressed and won't go back but would happily eat it if there was only subway or was with other people who wanted to eat there.

Tried the vegan steak bake today. I didn't intend to, as I remember having the original about 15-20 odd years ago and it was so bad I threw it in the bin. I bought one for a homeless person but didn't see one of my way to work so ate it myself. Pleasantly surprised. The pastry was nice and flaky and the filling was hearty and flavourful. Good comfort food.

Regarding vegan cheese, I've just had some vegan Applewood cheese with crackers, just like the real thing. Violife is a good vegan cheese aswell, as is Asda vegan cheddar.

Also had Kettle vegan sheese and onion crisps yesterday from Morrisons, again, just like the real thing.

Tried VioLife. Truly terrible in its basic form. Almost sufferable when melted.
Melt it with a small amount of marmite added and it becomes almost slightly cheese like.

That’s great news for Greggs workers and also that quality vegan alternatives can be a big and successful market.

Saw this on twitter yesterday. I don't know if it's true but doesn't sound unlikely (for those not on twitter it says that Greggs employees are paid so badly that most of them are on Universal Credit, so the bonus will just be taken out of that).

Also, I had a Greggs sausage roll and thought it was an abomination.

Just been in to see if they have a vegan steak bake - no sign of them. Get the impression they just don't have them.
It's near the train station so I would have expected a certain amount of middle-class foot traffic. :hmm:

I had a vegan steak bake at lunch, and would struggle to recognise that it wasn't a steak steak bake tbh. Less gristle, a bit less salty but that's about it

Saw this on twitter yesterday. I don't know if it's true but doesn't sound unlikely (for those not on twitter it says that Greggs employees are paid so badly that most of them are on Universal Credit, so the bonus will just be taken out of that).

Also, I had a Greggs sausage roll and thought it was an abomination.

If something looks too good to be true....

I like the idea of trying a vegan burger / sausage roll etc but I haven't seen a Greggs for a while now.

At some point my desires and practical shop presence will coincide and I will try the non meat meat!

Regarding vegan cheese, I've just had some vegan Applewood cheese with crackers, just like the real thing. Violife is a good vegan cheese aswell, as is Asda vegan cheddar.

Also had Kettle vegan sheese and onion crisps yesterday from Morrisons, again, just like the real thing.

These sound like good recommendations, but if anyone is able to get hold of Mel Rogers' (much rarer) vegan cheese, it's also pretty damned good,

Mel's Kindness Kitchen (Facebook)

Mel's Kindness Kitchen (website)

(Some of the information on both links is out of date, she's now based in West Wales not Temple Cloud near Bristol, where she was for years, until recently. But her cheese is available online and at veggie/vegan events).

Back
Top Bottom