Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So who's tried a Greggs vegan sausage roll/steak bake?

Right. Just had one.

The heat of the filling took the skin off the roof of my mouth. Nicely
Browned flaky pasty.Gloopy brown stuff with greyish lumps of Quorn in it. Nothing much to chew really. A light linger of onions on the palate.smells of generic meaty style gravy.

I however have no comparison or reference point as I don’t eat meat. Nor have I ever had a steak bake, even when I did. Is this how meat pastry actually tastes ? I am missing nothing special if this is the case.

The sausage roll is a far more accomplished salty vegan snack.

This sounds exactly like a steak bake so it's perfect.

I'm waiting for a vegan steak and stilton roll.

The vegan sausage was in many ways an improvement on the greasy sausage roll that made me instantly sick on eating half. I had a few vegan rolls when they came out but just can't picture myself eating them anymore. Daughter (who is happy to eat meat) prefers them.

I'm curious to see what is in the place of the steak. Is every Gregg's getting them? Might try one for lunch.

Had one today, I enjoyed it, not too hot and not too much gravy and it tasted good. I find that these snacks taste best when they are hot, but not too hot. If you are unfortunate enough to get a cold one though, they are very disappointing.

Last edited:
Not a great fan of vegan food as it has a tendency to be very heavily processed and full of additives IN an attempt to make it and make it tasty. Much rather stick to vegetarian food.
Yeah, this is my view too - although it is good there are meat-alternatives to basic high street stuff like this which can only be a good thing for the environment. No harm in eating stuff like this now and again though - but not every day (I ate their cheese and onion pasties at least once a day when I was young).

We went to get one in Croydon, but it wasn't being sold. I agree that I would probably be more into the cheese and onion bake anyway.

There is quite a lot of "vegan" meat around; a wealth of plant based burgers and sausages and steak would be much about the same.
vegan cheese is not good at the best of times, yet alone stilton.

There is quite a lot of "vegan" meat around; a wealth of plant based burgers and sausages and steak would be much about the same.
vegan cheese is not good at the best of times, yet alone stilton.
Vegan cheese is better than it used to be, it has vastly improved in recent years.

Thoughts on this
c6b1a58d6258c664ae38b718dc267153.jpg
81d29653588a9acfc0b40627076561bb.jpg

Cornstarch and stock is never going to replace proper pork pie jelly, which should be sweet and well, actually jelly. It is perfectly possibly to make vegan jelly of course, and the 'meat' bit of the filling could be anything as long as it's salty, chewy and definitely very bad for you.

Right. Just had one.

The heat of the filling took the skin off the roof of my mouth. Nicely
Browned flaky pasty.Gloopy brown stuff with greyish lumps of Quorn in it. Nothing much to chew really. A light linger of onions on the palate.smells of generic meaty style gravy.

I however have no comparison or reference point as I don’t eat meat. Nor have I ever had a steak bake, even when I did. Is this how meat pastry actually tastes ? I am missing nothing special if this is the case.

The sausage roll is a far more accomplished salty vegan snack.

My recollection of Greggs steak bakes from my carnovirous days is that the lumps of meat were few and so chewy that when you did find one, you regretted it. I was a big fan of the chicken ones though, and would be delighted to see a vegan version of that. Chicken is easier to faithfully replicate in non-meat media anyway.

In my attempts to be more veggie/vegan I've discovered that its usually the pastry and sauce which is often the nicest bits of the non-meat constituents of a pie-meal. Adding something meaty like Quorn bits or Mushroom pretty much fills the gap.

Back
Top Bottom