Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So who's tried a Greggs vegan sausage roll/steak bake?

I however have no comparison or reference point as I don’t eat meat. Nor have I ever had a steak bake, even when I did. Is this how meat pastry actually tastes ? I am missing nothing special if this is the case.

Sounds like it is just not as good an effort as the sausage roll.

I reckon its as good as the sausage roll.

It's true about the them scorching the inside of your mouth though. Took ages to cool down because its more gravy inside.

Long queues at Greggs vegan steak bake premiere - and we got to try one

On a frosty night in Newcastle city centre the streets were eerily quiet following the New Year's Eve revels of the night before.

A few workmen were around at Monument, dismantling the Christmas market, with town -and its warm doorways- only becoming busier towards McDonalds on Grainger Street.

But at Greggs, a little further on, the joint was jumping. A huge queue tailed back - nightclub style - behind royal blue ropes outside the obscured windows of the bakery cum cafe. Two bouncers were on duty at the entrance to the store where the first 200 of the much-heralded Vegan Steak Bakes were to be revealed.

First in the queue was meat eater Danni Deloncho, 23, of Durham , a Greggs superfan, who has a steak bake tattooed on his right calf. He arrived, with fold-up chair, at 6pm to be sure to be at the front of the queue

However, as the doors opened, there was a bit more than a free pasty on offer. Inside, the cafe was transformed with nightclub-style lighting, a DJ on the decks, and huge event-style lightbulb letters spelling out VSB - for Vegan Steak Bake.

:D

TBF they're probably aimed more at the meat eating market who are conscious about eating less meat. I'd certainly put myself in that bracket, and it sure makes a change from when the only options were a vegetable bake, or a cheese and onion slice.

To me (as a meat eater) that makes little sense. I mean I get choosing healthier options. This isn't it.

Why does it have to be a healthier option? This is about not eating meat, not necessarily a health decision.

If you don't want to eat dead animals then I can admire that from an ethical standpoint, but choosing this one day for some vague woolley reasons, unless it's just become you like the taste, seems pointless if you chow down a steak later.

Last edited:
If you don't want to eat dead animals then I can admire that from an ethical standpoint, but choosing this one day for some vague woolley reasons, unless it's just become you like the taste seems pointless if you chow down a steak later.

Surely the point is, more options to not eat meat mean less meat gets eaten. Which can only be a good thing.

I eat less meat now purely because there are more/better meat-free alternatives.

Surely the point is, more options to not eat meat mean less meat gets eaten. Which can only be a good thing.

I eat less meat now purely because there are more/better meat-free alternatives.
This^ I’m not veggie- well I am for January but that’s just temporary- but I often eat meat free options and the more good ones there are the more I eat. ( Sadly quorn makes me spectacularly projectile vomit).

This is discussed on the vegan sausage roll thread where I admit to thinking that maybe I'm in danger of thinking vegan food might possibly not totally awful.

I was going to ask for your verdict, but the fact you've had two speaks for itself.

What happened was, I ordered one of these and a vegetable bake, but the guy got it wrong because he had some arse of a manager have a go at him midway through the order. And he got flummoxed (no fault on his part - his manager was a dick), so I got two by mistake.

But no harm done, they were both good :cool:

I had the v sausage roll and it was 'alright'

Nothing wrong with it at all, but probably would not get again. Will try the v bake but expect the same.

Good there are v alternatives though :)

Thoughts on this
c6b1a58d6258c664ae38b718dc267153.jpg
81d29653588a9acfc0b40627076561bb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom