Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So who's tried a Greggs vegan sausage roll/steak bake?

In my attempts to be more veggie/vegan I've discovered that its usually the pastry and sauce which is often the nicest bits of the non-meat constituents of a pie-meal. Adding something meaty like Quorn bits or Mushroom pretty much fills the gap.

I'm a big fan of savoury pastry products and like a meat pie, but my favourite is spinach and feta, it's fucking great, properly satisfying. Well I do like a baby's head a lot too but it's between those two.

I just had a Gregg’s vegan steak bake. It was good. I’d do it again.

I’m of the school that’d rather have a spinach and feta pastry usually, but this was nice and a handy stand by.

I just had a Gregg’s vegan steak bake. It was good. I’d do it again.

I’m of the school that’d rather have a spinach and feta pastry usually, but this was nice and a handy stand by.

I went looking for one yesterday. No vegan steak bakes and no regular steak bakes either do maybe a few people had the same idea as me re: the side by side test/review.

Just had another one, was half asleep when I had the last one. This time round I enjoyed it more, the filling is more like mince than chunks of steak but it was very satisfying.

Last edited:

(Unsurprisingly) Piers Morgan is furious (possibly feigning) about these new Greggs vegan delights :D

Interesting to hear the vegan sausage roll has more calories than a McDonalds cheeseburger but I guess they aren’t aimed as a weight loss snack.

I haven’t tried either of these new Greggs vegan options yet - the gf rates the v.sausage roll as decent - but I’ll certainly be giving them a go.

BK are really being a bit half-arsed about this whole thing.
Absolute stupidity. I might have considered going in to a BK the first time in decades if I was desperate, but I've no interest in this meaty vegan monstrosity.

I've had plenty of the sausage rolls - very good.

I went veggie around 1984 so I'm not sure if I've ever had a greggs steakbake to compare, but it seemed okay. Maybe a bit sloppy, not enough 'meat' in it. Anyway, I've found yet another way of keeping my saturated fat intake high. :oldthumbsup:

Dull failed troll
I think I found one in the street last Saturday. It was difficult to tell but based on previous posts it fits the bill to a T. I wasn't so keen TBH, it had the distinct taste of wee.

I've had plenty of the sausage rolls - very good.

I went veggie around 1984 so I'm not sure if I've ever had a greggs steakbake to compare, but it seemed okay. Maybe a bit sloppy, not enough 'meat' in it. Anyway, I've found yet another way of keeping my saturated fat intake high. :oldthumbsup:
Sounds exactly like the real thing then because they are pastry filled with beef flavoured slop.

I'm onto my third one and yes I think they are lush. As for burger King they were doing their vegan bean burger years before McDonald's as it was the only takeaway burger I could have for a long time. They are cooked separately. And they're very nice too.

I'd love to try the Greggs steak bake and the sausage roll but it has wheat in. Same for most vegetarian /vegan fast food, I can't participate. Overjoyed to discover that Mc D's new vegan dippers are wheat free! A few companies are swapping from wheat breadcrumbs for all products, because the alternative is more crispy.

Pound bakery veggie sausage rolls are better than Greggs and you get 2 for a quid.

They were only veggie though not vegan, not sure if that's changed....and not sure if pound bakery is even a thing in that London.

Pound bakery veggie sausage rolls are better than Greggs and you get 2 for a quid.

They were only veggie though not vegan, not sure if that's changed....and not sure if pound bakery is even a thing in that London.
Guy in the pound bakery told me they were vegan- anyway 1000 times better, bigger, cheaper and hotter that Greggs!

Greggs have made so much money out of their vegan sausage rolls they've found a few pennies to chuck to their workers:

Greggs to pay workers £7m bonus after vegan sausage roll success

I have no idea what their pay is like in the first place so I'm not going to clain this is nice capitalism or anything but is fun if it winds up the Morgan/Clarkson/Ferrari types.
it doesn't wind Morgan up, he'll have a sweet bonus for the sausage roll campaign too.

Back
Top Bottom