Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So who's tried a Greggs vegan sausage roll/steak bake?

It's good if this prompts the chattering classes to pay attention to the systematic nastiness of universal credit. Mind, if Greggs ever want to so something like this again they should stick £360 in every employees pension (cos they save on corp tax), then DWP can't do shit and when they eventually get their bonus it should be worth a big old chunk more

Or give the option to receive the money gradually, if that's legal. Or offer it as paid time off. But really they shouldn't have to go to such lengths - a company should be able to offer a small bonus without the recipients finding themselves out of pocket due to a messed up UC system.

Yeah I agree it's misplaced to target this at greggs, it's the poverty trap created by UC that needs hammering

Also just realised greggs would have offset the bonus against corp tax anyway so would just be £300 into pension, although no tax or NI on it for the employees

I went to Greggs in London Bridge station this morning and the Vegan Sausage Roll was £1.20 - is this the national norm, or just London commuter prices? :hmm:

The subway vegan meatball sandwich is amazing and I have eaten far more of these recently than I really should. Tastes just like the meat ones that I fondly remember from my omnivore days. Defo the best vegan fast food item.
That's probably because it's stuffed full of sugar!
I don't know about sugar, but it has 2.4g of salt in which is about 40% of the recommended maximum daily intake.

I don't know about sugar, but it has 2.4g of salt in which is about 40% of the recommended maximum daily intake.

It's a bit of an irony with vegan food that so many of these popular new products are really pretty bad for you*, and often worse than what they are emulating, whereas you can focus on certain vegan things that don't mimic meat at all and find stuff that is really tasty and also healthy at the same time.

* blame capitalism

It's a bit of an irony with vegan food that so many of these popular new products are really pretty bad for you*, and often worse than what they are emulating, whereas you can focus on certain vegan things that don't mimic meat at all and find stuff that is really tasty and also healthy at the same time.

* blame capitalism

The meat version of the subway meatball marinara also has crazy amounts of salt in it something like akin to 13 bags of ready salted crisps. So, its not the veg versions are worse just that a lot of this stuff is probably not much better. That's the problem with processed food and realistically purveyors of these sorts of food are not really aiming at veg / vegans more people cutting down on eating meat. Burger King have been pretty upfront about that with their Rebel Whopper.

I guess it varies, but these threads have seen plenty of examples where salt, sugar and/or fat have been a lot higher in the vegan equivalents.

Vegans will vegan healthily, but I think some companies are happy to use the v-word and its connotations to flog some really unhealthy stuff.

I've just discovered that Wimpy now do delivery. I've always loved their beanburgers and it turns out they do a quorn burger too. This makes me very happy :)

* blame capitalism

And we're back to meat eaters criticising vegans for not being able to change their whole cultural diet and learn to live off lentils and beans, even though most vegans aren't vegan for health reasons so are just as likely to want junk food or - heaven forbid - sandwiches! - as meat eaters are. (And yes, the bit about "you can focus on..." is a criticism).

I tried the McD's vegan dippers - they are accidentally gluten free - They are ok, they aren't pretend meat. The filling is smushed up peppers and sweetcorn, the coating is crispy and is the same as the lovely crispy coating I get on other gluten free products. I had with a sweet and sour dip and could only taste the dip. Seeing as when my brothers kids want a McD's I can't normally eat anything hot as everything has wheat in and have to make do with freezing my tits off eating one of their shit salads, this is an improvement.

I had the new Chipotle Avocado burger at Leon yesterday. (It's not just avocado, it has a vegan burger in it.) Not bad - pretty moist as you would expect from having guacamole in it but probably no messier to eat than a lot of burgers, and the burger bit was fine. Could do with some chilli sauce though.

One of the things that has put me off a lot of vegan food, traditionally, is a lack of the unhealthy yumminess present in so much omnivore fodder. Salt, fat and sugar taste good. We are programmed to enjoy fat and sugar, especially, because they signalled the highest calorie foods that kept us going longer.

You may have overcome this programming, and if you have then you’re very lucky... but it’s highly disingenuous to wonder why people wanting to sell volume foodstuffs have made them taste yummy to the masses.

* blame capitalism

Totally agree with this. A lot the ready made stuff avaliable in the supermarkets is full of all kinds of strange unidentifiable ingredients. The salts often really high and the other nutritional content can be really poor. Like you said far better to revolve your diet around veg and pulses and grains. We try not to have meat substitutes more than once or twice a week. Some of it is crazy expensive too. When you look at the pack it can end up being 20 or 25 pound a kilo. Like you said loads of companies trying to cash in at the minute, on one hand it's nice to have the choice these days. On the other hand some of the food is really very poor and I do worry about people switching away from meat for the first time and basing their diet around meat substitutes.

One of the things that has put me off a lot of vegan food, traditionally, is a lack of the unhealthy yumminess present in so much omnivore fodder. Salt, fat and sugar taste good. We are programmed to enjoy fat and sugar, especially, because they signalled the highest calorie foods that kept us going longer.

You may have overcome this programming, and if you have then you’re very lucky... but it’s highly disingenuous to wonder why people wanting to sell volume foodstuffs have made them taste yummy to the masses.

Yeah it's only a very recent change. Last couple of years really. Last year was the first time that vegan options on the high Street were even avaliable really.

Loads of unhealthy crap around now though. It's not really done me any favours to be tbh but it has been nice to have junk food again :D

Oh, overcoming that programming is well beyond my coding skills. :D

But there are quite a lot of fairly normal sources of fats, salt and umaminess in the general vegan mileu.

My point in this case is that capitalists are using the aura of health around the word “veg*n” to sell some nasty crap that is dirt cheap to make and has a BIG profit margin.

It’s not that they have to do this to make vegan food nice, it’s about selling cheap fats, salt and mould etc. for the price of something much better.

Back
Top Bottom