Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So who's tried a Greggs vegan sausage roll/steak bake?

Fair enough. I’ve found some veg*n burgers to be pretty dry.
I don't think it was dry but with the sauce and the guacamole nothing would be. It didn't have any particular texture or anything, not like a seitan patty.

The whole thing was pretty satisfying yet not too greasy, a good lunch meal without making me feel bloated afterwards. The waffle fries however were getting cold when they arrived.

Oh, overcoming that programming is well beyond my coding skills. :D

But there are quite a lot of fairly normal sources of fats, salt and umaminess in the general vegan mileu.

My point in this case is that capitalists are using the aura of health around the word “veg*n” to sell some nasty crap that is dirt cheap to make and has a BIG profit margin.

It’s not that they have to do this to make vegan food nice, it’s about selling cheap fats, salt and mould etc. for the price of something much better.

What foods are you thinking of that are vegan, healthy and have fat and salt and umami?

The problem with a lot of the healthy vegan stuff that's quick to make, or available as convenience food, is it's very low in protein. Beans and lentils are fine, obviously, but sometimes you want something to crunch or at least chew, and once they're turned into burgers they tend to not be as healthy.

What foods are you thinking of that are vegan, healthy and have fat and salt and umami?

The problem with a lot of the healthy vegan stuff that's quick to make, or available as convenience food, is it's very low in protein. Beans and lentils are fine, obviously, but sometimes you want something to crunch or at least chew, and once they're turned into burgers they tend to not be as healthy.
I think we are in a period now where the old "lentil loaf rabbit food" stereotypes about what vegan food can be are being challenged in this country. People are getting interested in vegan and veggie food, and they're not prepared to put up with having one boring default thing on the menu, and there are enough of them that there's a market response.

There is after all no practical reason why you can't have nice tasty crunchy delicious food that doesn't use animal products. I am cooking vegan at the moment (more out of awkwardness than anything else admittedly but that has taken me far in life) and I'm surprised how easy it is to get stuff that is satisfying without having to stretch far at all. It's just that for eating out you need an infrastructure that is prepared to do that in volume.

I think we are in a period now where the old "lentil loaf rabbit food" stereotypes about what vegan food can be are being challenged in this country. People are getting interested in vegan and veggie food, and they're not prepared to put up with having one boring default thing on the menu, and there are enough of them that there's a market response.

There is after all no practical reason why you can't have nice tasty crunchy delicious food that doesn't use animal products. I am cooking vegan at the moment (more out of awkwardness than anything else admittedly but that has taken me far in life) and I'm surprised how easy it is to get stuff that is satisfying without having to stretch far at all. It's just that for eating out you need an infrastructure that is prepared to do that in volume.

Yes, it's definitely much better. Though some of the things I would consider healthy or at least OK often get decried as terrible bad wrong things.

Of course, it doesn't help that I'm not a foodie who doesn't really enjoy cooking on a regular basis, and that's not going to change just because I don't want to kill animals. (Also these days I'm disabled and before that I was working too much to spend ages cooking). If it weren't for the greater variety of convenience foods produced by the dreadful capitalist vegetarian food companies, who are obviously far worse than the dreadful capitalist meat companies, my diet would be far more limited.

I had the new Chipotle Avocado burger at Leon yesterday. (It's not just avocado, it has a vegan burger in it.) Not bad - pretty moist as you would expect from having guacamole in it but probably no messier to eat than a lot of burgers, and the burger bit was fine. Could do with some chilli sauce though.

Leon has some of the best vegan fast food out there imo, though I haven't tried the burgers. Apparently they're outselling the meat burgers now Vegan burgers are outselling meat burgers at LEON restaurants

Loved the sausage role. Also bought a pack of Cauldron Lincolnshire protein based sausages over the weekend, which I can confirm today were beautiful :thumbs:
Definitely a repurchase item

I forgot my brown rice and veg today so strolled down to Greggs on Tottenham Court Road thinking today would be the day I finally got to sample a steak bake - but the queue was out the door and down the road 😔

I had a Greggs vegan dinner the other week. I'd already had one of the sausage rolls and wasn't taken with the dry pastry but thought I'd give it another go.

Why don't they just put a quorn sausage inside some pastry? The stuff in the rolls is just mush, maybe it's to balance the dryness of the pastry.

The vegan steak bake is even worse, the filling was just a mushy, salty blob. I must admit I don't use Quorn as much as I did when the kids were younger but I've never managed to overcook it .

Give me pound bakery anyday.

Perhaps I'm bitter but quite why celebrities who are already a privileged bunch should get free food is beyond me. (Realise it's all advertising.)

By perhaps I probably should just say I am bitter.

Stormzy can more than afford Greggs offerings - they should have given the card to someone on the bones of their arse, homeless person etc.

But yeah, where’s that publicity in that?

It’s more expensive than the real thing?

Lol, rip-off.

Actually went to a greggs for my dinner today - ham and cheese baguette and a coffee, no pasties - but the normal sausage roll is now a pound too giving parity betwixt mushed up pork and mushed up fungal mycoprotein options

Stormzy can more than afford Greggs offerings - they should have given the card to someone on the bones of their arse, homeless person etc.

But yeah, where’s that publicity in that?

How would you pick this person given there's thousands in every city?

The service I used to work for regularly got food from Gregg's for free. At least once a week, end of the day someone would go and collect boxes full of stuff that we'd give out to care leavers.

Maybe Gregg's see this as something they don't need to shout about and the few odd pasties they give Stormzy is enough to promote the brand to enable them to do charity stuff. And let's not pretend he's gonna eat free pasties when he's fucking loaded, I can fully imagine him giving away his allowance to homeless people anyway.

How would you pick this person given there's thousands in every city?

The service I used to work for regularly got food from Gregg's for free. At least once a week, end of the day someone would go and collect boxes full of stuff that we'd give out to care leavers.

Maybe Gregg's see this as something they don't need to shout about and the few odd pasties they give Stormzy is enough to promote the brand to enable them to do charity stuff. And let's not pretend he's gonna eat free pasties when he's fucking loaded, I can fully imagine him giving away his allowance to homeless people anyway.

Stormzy still eats at his local apparently but can’t see him eating at greggs

Ate a ginsters vegan or at least veggie pastie Friday and it was actually a lot nicer than I was expecting. Thumbs up to them!

I had the vegan steak slice a couple of weeks ago. Like a veg pasty with gravy. Acceptable but in the least bit steaky. I imagined some jackfruit type affair inside.

I had a Greggs vegan dinner the other week. I'd already had one of the sausage rolls and wasn't taken with the dry pastry but thought I'd give it another go.

Why don't they just put a quorn sausage inside some pastry? The stuff in the rolls is just mush, maybe it's to balance the dryness of the pastry.

The vegan steak bake is even worse, the filling was just a mushy, salty blob. I must admit I don't use Quorn as much as I did when the kids were younger but I've never managed to overcook it .

Give me pound bakery anyday.
Pound Bakery vegan steak slice is 100 times nicer than the tepid Pedigree Chum slop of the Greggs version- and cheaper and bigger too

Back
Top Bottom