Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So it begins, ins and outs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting mix and good to get some signings done. A year ago, Scott, Ricketts, and Clifton were all at Conference Prem clubs, so I think it's fairly impressive that we've managed to get them to drop two levels to the Isthmian. I'm sure Clifton and Ricketts will be able to keep the pace - it would be remarkable if they were capable of playing Conf Prem a year ago, but unable to make an impact at Isthmian 12 months on.

I think we've seen the spine of the team today, minus a keeper and another centre half. There is some massive experience in there and HH seems keen to stress that these players want to be here, unlike some of the clowns we had recently. I think he's very clear about what the problems were last season and what he wants now. I know we've tweeted that Ricketts is a defender but from the Googling I've done I can only see him billed as defensive midfielder, which is reassuring given how effective the Kargbo role was at this level 5 years ago.

I'd imagine there's still plenty more to go, too. I think Harris said he wanted a squad of 24, so we've got another 17 to go! If he keeps Porter and (pfffft) Krasniqi and maybe Thompson (I think we can assume that Felix has gone), that still leaves us 14 short. Interested to see what comes in next.

My only concern is goals. It looks like we've got 3 strikers so far, but Mills is not the force he once was, Clifton is not a goalscorer, and if we keep Porter then I would have down as a handful, but not a regular supply of goals. I'd hope that the next batch of signings either have some track record of goalscoring or are perhaps fresh out of a pro academy, and not classic target men.

Regardless, good to see the team starting to take shape.
We certainly unveiled a lot of experience today. A pair of 34 year olds and a 38 year old, all of whom have spent most of their careers at National League level. Incidentally Craig Braham-Barret made his Hamlet first team debut back in 2007 as a rather lightweight winger under Craig Edwards. He's since developed into quite a muscular and assertive left back I don't know much about the other two veterans, although Clifton looked a handful at Hampton in February and scored a cracking goal. I would imagine he and Mills will mainly offer an alternative to each other. Gyebi was a massive physical presence at Hungerford and seemed fairly agile for his size.

The squad template Terry Harris outlined at the fans forum was for a core squad of 18, plus half a dozen younger players who would essentially provide cover. I'm guessing we'll look to have 18 or so in place for the start of pre-season and make up the numbers with triallists, some of whom may then be kept on. There are always people becoming available in early August, having done a pre-season with a higher level club only to be let go. In our last promotion season we began with quite a small squad, then added Nathan Ferguson and Reise Allassani after the season started.

I'll be interested to see whether we make use of long term loans from Football league clubs. We've already seen Hakan find a couple of really good ones in Deon Woodman and Conor Lawless just before the transfer deadline, who were trusted to play a full part as regular starters. A lot of National South clubs seem to do this but I don't recall Gavin really using loanees much, beyond emergency goalkeeping cover and the odd month for players who didn't start regularly. Unfortunately we're probably a less attractive option for clubs to place their best young players now we've dropped a level.

I reckon this is the current revision of the list issued by the club last weekend:

Retained:
Sanchez Ming
Danny Mills

Arrivals:
Craig Braham-Barrett (Tonbridge Angels)
Adrian Clifton (Maidenhead United)
Jerry Gyebi (Hungerford Town)
Mark Ricketts (Borehamwood)
Ryley Scott (Dagenham)

In discussion
Cameron Thompson
George Porter
Joe Felix
Kreshnic Krasniqi

Departures:
Charlie Grainger (Hastings United)
Jack Holland (Cray Wanderers)
Johl Powell (Tonbridge Angels)
Frankie Raymond (Cray Wanderers)
Quade Taylor (Carshalton Athletic)
Ronnie Vint (Lewes)
Will Wood (Welling United)
Andre Blackman
Kristian Campbell
Josh Fawole
Nebay Haile
Omari Hibbert
Aaron Jones
Kalvin Kalala
Nana Owusu
Dan Smith

Loans Expired:
Gianni Crichlow (Havant & Waterlooville, now Tonbridge Angels)
Conor Lawless (Luton Town)
Michael Phillips (Barnet)
David Stephens (Borehamwood)
Deon Woodman (Queen's Park Rangers)

We certainly unveiled a lot of experience today. A pair of 34 year olds and a 38 year old, all of whom have spent most of their careers at National League level. Incidentally Craig Braham-Barret made his Hamlet first team debut back in 2007 as a rather lightweight winger under Craig Edwards. He's since developed into quite a muscular and assertive left back I don't know much about the other two veterans, although Clifton looked a handful at Hampton in February and scored a cracking goal. I would imagine he and Mills will mainly offer an alternative to each other. Gyebi was a massive physical presence at Hungerford and seemed fairly agile for his size.

The squad template Terry Harris outlined at the fans forum was for a core squad of 18, plus half a dozen younger players who would essentially provide cover. I'm guessing we'll look to have 18 or so in place for the start of pre-season and make up the numbers with triallists, some of whom may then be kept on. There are always people becoming available in early August, having done a pre-season with a higher level club only to be let go. In our last promotion season we began with quite a small squad, then added Nathan Ferguson and Reise Allassani after the season started.

I'll be interested to see whether we make use of long term loans from Football league clubs. We've already seen Hakan find a couple of really good ones in Deon Woodman and Conor Lawless just before the transfer deadline, who were trusted to play a full part as regular starters. A lot of National South clubs seem to do this but I don't recall Gavin really using loanees much, beyond emergency goalkeeping cover and the odd month for players who didn't start regularly. Unfortunately we're probably a less attractive option for clubs to place their best young players now we've dropped a level.

I reckon this is the current revision of the list issued by the club last weekend:

Retained:
Sanchez Ming
Danny Mills

Arrivals:
Craig Braham-Barrett (Tonbridge Angels)
Adrian Clifton (Maidenhead United)
Jerry Gyebi (Hungerford Town)
Mark Ricketts (Borehamwood)
Ryley Scott (Dagenham)

In discussion
Cameron Thompson
George Porter
Joe Felix
Kreshnic Krasniqi

Departures:
Charlie Grainger (Hastings United)
Jack Holland (Cray Wanderers)
Johl Powell (Tonbridge Angels)
Frankie Raymond (Cray Wanderers)
Quade Taylor (Carshalton Athletic)
Ronnie Vint (Lewes)
Will Wood (Welling United)
Andre Blackman
Kristian Campbell
Josh Fawole
Nebay Haile
Omari Hibbert
Aaron Jones
Kalvin Kalala
Nana Owusu
Dan Smith

Loans Expired:
Gianni Crichlow (Havant & Waterlooville, now Tonbridge Angels)
Conor Lawless (Luton Town)
Michael Phillips (Barnet)
David Stephens (Borehamwood)
Deon Woodman (Queen's Park Rangers)
Not sure if Danny Mills will play a full part or be a starter as the season took out of him and he was a bit crocked at the end 👚👕👚👕⚽

At fans forum Terry suggested Conor saw himself as a league 2 player
As I recall, I think Terry said he and Hakan like him and believe he has potential, but isn't ready for League 2 yet. I think he suggested Conor should be looking at a further loan spell in National South or the National Division to get regular starts and more experience. My interpretation was that Conor was expecting to remain at Luton and look for a loan to a League 2 club. Maybe I was wrong and he was expecting to be released and picked up by someone at that level?

At fans forum Terry suggested Conor saw himself as a league 2 player
As I recall, I think Terry said he and Hakan like him and believe he has potential, but isn't ready for League 2 yet. I think he suggested Conor should be looking at a further loan spell in National South or the National Division to get regular starts and more experience. My interpretation was that Conor was expecting to remain at Luton and look for a loan to a League 2 club. Maybe I was wrong and he was expecting to be released and picked up by someone at that level?

I think I'm in the minority here, but I really didn't think Lawless was anything to get excited about. He was an attacking midfielder and started regularly, but didn't score a single goal at Conf South level. Alright, he was in a poor side, but if he was at Luton he should have been a) fitter than everyone else and b) technically as good as/better than everyone else. I thought he was neat and tidy, but his actual impact on games was minimal. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get him back.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I really didn't think Lawless was anything to get excited about. He was an attacking midfielder and started regularly, but didn't score a single goal at Conf South level. Alright, he was in a poor side, but if he was at Luton he should have been a) fitter than everyone else and b) technically as good as/better than everyone else. I thought he was neat and tidy, but his actual impact on games was minimal. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get him back.
Thought he took a couple of games to get going, but did well considering the situation he came into - the game against Taunton stands out in the memory, was a big part of keeping them off balance in midfield through his work rate, and set up Porter for the first goal.

Might not make League 2, but could see him finding himself a spot in a National League squad. Certainly can't see him dropping to Step 3, but would be delighted if he did find himself back with us.

Michael Phillips contract ripped up by Barnet, Champion Hill awaits after recovering from his groin strain 👚👕👚👕⚽⚽
Don't think we saw anything close to his best - was out of shape when he arrived and looked to be contending with niggles throughout his stay. If he could get fit and stay fit he could be brilliant at Step 3, but not sure he's been able to do that for a while unfortunately.

Don't think we saw anything close to his best - was out of shape when he arrived and looked to be contending with niggles throughout his stay. If he could get fit and stay fit he could be brilliant at Step 3, but not sure he's been able to do that for a while unfortunately.
Also, some interesting quotes on this Tweet from Barnet announcing his departure, regarding his time at Wealdstone…

Well he won’t be signing after Hak’s interview saying he only wants players with “ Honesty, Dignity and Integrity” does someone else fit the bill 😎

Attachments

• 031D6B33-CC5A-4A4C-9104-6F9878A1B420.jpeg
    031D6B33-CC5A-4A4C-9104-6F9878A1B420.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 42
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom