Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just leaving that to hang like the bad fart it is...

As this thread had shown and through personal experience, there are plenty of supporters that are talented writers. Surely we could correct pish pieces like this dinlow has written with our own pieces about the club? A new fanzine perhaps, independent of the club but working alongside Urban etc?

Just kind of chucking ideas out there .
You wait years for a dinlow to come along and boom! Two in a week! :)

As this thread had shown and through personal experience, there are plenty of supporters that are talented writers. Surely we could correct pish pieces like this dinlow has written with our own pieces about the club? A new fanzine perhaps, independent of the club but working alongside Urban etc?

Just kind of chucking ideas out there .

The Dulwich Hamlet Free Paper (done by the Trust and other fans) that was issued for the Altona match was excellent. Will there be more?

The Dulwich Hamlet Free Paper (done by the Trust and other fans) that was issued for the Altona match was excellent. Will there be more?

A fanzine along them lines would be excellent though I stress, it should be free from all official ties to the club, trust included.

It was terrific wasn't it?

This is just bar chat, but I heard that the plan was to do it quarterly if it was well-received (and it certainly was).
I've offered some of my archive pics as I reckon some of the old school awaydays would be a great read for newbie fans.

Previous.

Looking at sentence structure and how it jumps about para to para… I’m not convinced huge chunks of this aren’t ChatGPT.
He is definitely human - besides, look what happened when I typed in "Tell me about the relationship between the fans of Dulwich Hamlet FC and Altona FC" to ChatGTP:

...the fans of Dulwich Hamlet FC and Altona FC shared a friendly and supportive relationship, thanks to the sister club arrangement between the two teams. This relationship was built on a foundation of mutual respect and a shared passion for football.

The fans of both clubs likely had opportunities to interact with each other during friendly matches or events organized as part of the sister club agreement. These interactions provided a chance for supporters from different countries and cultures to come together, share their love for the beautiful game, and learn from each other's unique football traditions.

The sister club arrangement likely created a sense of camaraderie and international connection among the fans. It's not uncommon for supporters to exchange scarves, banners, and other memorabilia as tokens of friendship. Social media and online forums also played a role in bringing fans from both clubs closer, allowing them to communicate and stay updated on each other's activities.

Such relationships between fan bases can lead to memorable and enriching experiences for both sides. Fans may have traveled to each other's stadiums to attend matches, fostering a spirit of unity and inclusivity within the football community.

And Google Bard can't stop talking about it:

The relationship between the fans of Dulwich Hamlet FC and Altona FC is one of close friendship and mutual respect. The two clubs have been linked together since 1925, when they met in a friendly match in Hamburg. The match was played to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the founding of both clubs.

In the years since, the two clubs have continued to play each other regularly, both in friendlies and in competitive matches. In 2015, Altona FC traveled to Dulwich Hamlet for a pre-season friendly. The match was played in front of a sell-out crowd at Champion Hill, and it ended in a 5-3 victory for the German side.

The fans of Dulwich Hamlet and Altona FC have developed a strong bond over the years. They share a common passion for football, and they both appreciate the unique atmosphere and community spirit that exists at both clubs. In 2018, the two clubs celebrated their 130th anniversaries with a joint festival in London. The festival featured a match between the two teams, as well as a number of other events, such as live music, food stalls, and a beer garden.

The friendship between the fans of Dulwich Hamlet FC and Altona FC is a testament to the power of football to bring people together. It is a relationship that is built on shared values and a common love of the game.

Here are some additional details about the relationship between the two clubs and their fans:

• The two clubs have played each other 11 times since 1925, with Dulwich Hamlet winning 5 matches, Altona FC winning 4 matches, and 2 matches being drawn.
  • The two clubs have a joint supporters' club, called the "Freundschaft" (Friendship). The Freundschaft organizes events for fans of both clubs, such as trips to away matches and social gatherings.
  • The fans of Dulwich Hamlet and Altona FC often sing songs about each other's club. For example, the Dulwich Hamlet fans have a song called "Altona, My Friend", and the Altona FC fans have a song called "Dulwich Hamlet, My Love".
  • The two clubs have a strong commitment to social justice. They both work with local charities and community organizations, and they both promote equality and diversity.
The friendship between the fans of Dulwich Hamlet FC and Altona FC is a unique and special one. It is a relationship that is based on shared values and a common love of the game. It is a relationship that is sure to continue for many years to come.

I think I'll just let Bard have its own guest column,

And here's Guest Column #1

What Makes Hamlet so special?

Dulwich Hamlet fans are known for their passionate support, their commitment to social justice, and their inclusive atmosphere.

• Passionate support: Dulwich Hamlet fans are known for their passionate support. They are always there to cheer on their team, no matter the score. The fans are also known for their creativity and humor, and they often come up with new chants and songs to support the team.
  • Commitment to social justice: Dulwich Hamlet fans are committed to social justice. The club has a strong anti-racism policy, and the fans are active in supporting local charities and community organizations.
  • Inclusive atmosphere: Dulwich Hamlet fans are known for their inclusive atmosphere. The club is welcoming to fans of all backgrounds, and the fans are always happy to make new friends.
Here are some other things that make Dulwich Hamlet fans special:

• They are a diverse group of people from all walks of life.
  • They are passionate about the club and the game of football.
  • They are committed to social justice and equality.
  • They are welcoming and inclusive to all fans.
Dulwich Hamlet fans are a special group of people who make the club what it is. They are passionate, committed, and inclusive, and they make the Champion Hill experience one of the best in non-league football.

Although ChatGTP is challenging for the best post

Dulwich Hamlet FC, a non-league football club based in Dulwich, London, has gained a reputation for having passionate and dedicated fans, which makes them special in the football community. There are several reasons why Dulwich Hamlet fans are regarded as unique and remarkable:

1. Community spirit: Dulwich Hamlet has strong ties to its local community, and its fans often have a deep sense of belonging and pride in their club. The club's history and roots in the area create a strong bond between the team and its supporters.
  2. Non-league football culture: Non-league football in the UK often fosters a more intimate and authentic football experience compared to the high-profile, multi-million-dollar clubs. The fans at Dulwich Hamlet embody this culture, creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere at Champion Hill, the club's home ground.
  3. Artistic and diverse fanbase: The club attracts a diverse group of supporters, including artists, musicians, and members of the LGBTQ+ community. This diversity contributes to a vibrant and inclusive atmosphere on match days.
  4. Fan-led initiatives: Dulwich Hamlet fans are known for their active involvement in the club's operations. In 2017, the club faced financial difficulties, and the supporters rallied together to save the team and secure its future. The "Save Dulwich Hamlet" campaign became a symbol of fan power in football.
  5. Unique traditions: Like many football clubs, Dulwich Hamlet has its own set of unique traditions that fans enthusiastically participate in. This might include chants, rituals, or community events that make the fan experience distinctive and memorable.
  6. Strong away support: Despite being a non-league team, Dulwich Hamlet often receives fantastic away support. Their fans travel in significant numbers to back their team, creating a formidable atmosphere even in opposition stadiums.
  7. Grassroots activism: The fans of Dulwich Hamlet are also known for their activism and support for social causes. They have been involved in various charity initiatives and community projects, using their passion for football to make a positive impact beyond the sport.

I’d hazard that both ChatGPT and Bard are looking at Buzz (plus a bit of Wikipedia) as the source material to generate these pieces. I recognise some stuff from DHST as well. Although they completely make things up as well.

When it is so easy to do research. What does it mean to get so much wrong? (I think this is what has bothered me to the degree it has)

I’d hazard that both ChatGPT and Bard are looking at Buzz (plus a bit of Wikipedia) as the source material to generate these pieces. I recognise some stuff from DHST as well. Although they completely make things up as well.

When it is so easy to do research. What does it mean to get so much wrong? (I think this is what has bothered me to the degree it has)
Indeed. It’s the least important of the (in)accuracy points but Liverpool are going Germany and Singapore this year. Haven’t been to America since 2019.

In addition to all of the above, the stuff about Millwall at the end of that article is really weird too. Is there some reason to think Millwall U23s are likely to be a dirty side? Obviously their fans have a certain reputation, but it's a bit of a stretch to assume that applies to their development squad. And are they trying to imply there's going to be fighting amongst the fans? Hardly likely. The lack of logic to any of it really does give it a bit of an A.I.-generated feel.

I don't understand the cartoon either. Why are they all dressed like that? Are they supposed to be fans or trialists? And what does having heard of Millwall have to do with it? I'm just really confused as to what the actual joke/point being made is?

In addition to all of the above, the stuff about Millwall at the end of that article is really weird too. Is there some reason to think Millwall U23s are likely to be a dirty side? Obviously their fans have a certain reputation, but it's a bit of a stretch to assume that applies to their development squad. And are they trying to imply there's going to be fighting amongst the fans? Hardly likely. The lack of logic to any of it really does give it a bit of an A.I.-generated feel.

I don't understand the cartoon either. Why are they all dressed like that? Are they supposed to be fans or trialists? And what does having heard of Millwall have to do with it? I'm just really confused as to what the actual joke/point being made is?
Just an unfunny article and an unfunny cartoon. Maybe I have lost my sense of humour but I doubt it!

More previous.
Although I hate to give him the clicks.
The TransferMarkt bit is just… does he think clubs get paid for players leaving on a free? Doesn’t he understand what “free” means?

Echo Latahs, pompeydunc and everyone else's thoughts , but I also don't like the snide reference to HH having 'one relegation under his belt already'. Neglects to acknowledge that he had 13 games to save us, using a widely-criticised squad whose commitment to the cause was very questionable, not to mention the fact that the poor bloke had to go back to Cyprus for 2 weeks because his mother passed away. It's tactless to say the fucking least, and also fails to recognise that he's come back - when I'm sure he wouldn't have been short of NLS offers - to try to rectify a wrong that is not of his own making.

It just strikes me as an article written by the author to get maximum 'lols' and to make himself look very witty and clever, rather than representing any kind of accurate reflection of the club, its staff and volunteers, and the day itself.

Last edited:
More previous.
Although I hate to give him the clicks.
The TransferMarkt bit is just… does he think clubs get paid for players leaving on a free? Doesn’t he understand what “free” means?

Wtf is he talking about? Jamie Splatt left under Paul Barnes?

'Dulwich Hamlet boss Hakan Hayrettin was reminded of this last week as he watched his young defender Jamie Splatt make for the door, the club’s eleventh player to leave since being relegated from the National League South.'

Where on earth has this guy come from? He's just writing rubbish.

It just strikes me as an article written by the author to get maximum 'lols' and to make himself look very witty and clever, rather than representing any kind of accurate reflection of the club, its staff and volunteers, and the day itself.
I think we can safely say he's failed spectacularly on that score, if the consensus on this thread is any indication. It's been more like "Grant Shapps does football".

Wtf is he talking about? Jamie Splatt left under Paul Barnes?

'Dulwich Hamlet boss Hakan Hayrettin was reminded of this last week as he watched his young defender Jamie Splatt make for the door, the club’s eleventh player to leave since being relegated from the National League South.'

Where on earth has this guy come from? He's just writing rubbish.
He seems to have fallen out of the sky with some kind of project to masquerade as a Hamlet fan for a season, while satirising the club. He could have picked almost any club at Isthmian Premier or National South level. It's bad enough with some of the YouTube bloggers who just visit the once.

So "the hipsters haven't the foggiest"? The irony! I don’t think I can take another 9 months of this. Hopefully he'll get bored and lose interest. It's painful.

Line-by-line commentary. Obviously, there's a certain level of hubris to to doing this when I am critcising the ignorance of the original post, but please offer corrections and I can update. This is an addenda to another piece I've written FYI.

Attachments

• Line-by-Line Correction.pdf
    107.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Good reading though it omits the July 2012 meeting at the Adolf-Jäger Kampfbahn when the Altona fans ran out 13-8 winners over the Hamlet. View attachment 384632
View attachment 384633

It also doesn't mention the March 2013 rematch at Champion Hill after Sittingbourne at home, and also another supporters' match at AJK prior to 2018. But why would it? These are supporters matches and not first team matches. I mean, it could write another 100 pages on other supporters' exchanges, such as the joint anti-homophobia banner we presented them, or the recent visit Alex wrote about in the Dulwich Free Press. The sentiment is clear in this new piece that the relationship is deep and doesn't deserve the insulting and flawed description in the original piece.

Thanks Paula, I'll add that the the line-by-line pdf above. I'll also add in the Sittingbourne meeting and the fact that we do supporters games as well - this is important.

Thanks Paula, I'll add that the the line-by-line pdf above. I'll also add in the Sittingbourne meeting and the fact that we do supporters games as well - this is important.
Thanks. So much of our connections with continental teams came from the supporters team and the matches arranged by Mishi and others. We’ve a long lasting connection with clubs like HJK Helsinki in Finland, Red Star Paris in France and UR Namur in Belgium thanks to these supporters games and Mishi’s unique brand of diplomacy. There were so many others that he hoped to cultivate before his untimely passing, reviving the Hamlet tradition of the Easter Tour. Dieppe was a personal favourite of mine once we discover where the games were actually played. Think the only ones we might rule out are the Swiss we played in the Prague suburbs back in 2003!

Back
Top Bottom