Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So it begins, ins and outs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not doubting what you’re saying for a moment liamdhfc about the group originally recruited, but looking through the line up for the last game against Chippenham, the majority of the players were either brought in by Hayrettin (Lawless, Stephens, Phillips, Woodman, Fawole, Campbell), subsequently retained (Ming, Mills), or identified as not being part of the problem (Kreshniqi).

That leaves Wood, Owusu, Felix, Thompson, Powell and Vint.

Can’t imagine Hayrettin would stay ‘in discussions’ with Felix and Thompson if he thought they were responsible for the problem, so we’re down to four potential players out of 16.

One played 90 minutes (Wood), one played the first half (Owusu), one came on for the last 24 minutes (Powell), and Vint didn’t get off the bench.

I’ve only ever been a supporter, not involved in a club in any other capacity, but can that input to a game from such a limited potential bunch really effect a performance to the extent we saw that day?

Quite possibly the damage was already done by others before then, but still feels like there were enough players not tied to the original recruitment who could have made a difference?

Last edited:
Not doubting what you’re saying for a moment liamdhfc about the group originally recruited, but looking through the line up for the last game against Chippenham, the majority of the players were either brought in by Hayrettin (Lawless, Stephens, Phillips, Woodman, Fawole, Campbell), subsequently retained (Ming, Mills), or identified as not being part of the problem (Kreshniqi).

That leaves Wood, Owusu, Felix, Thompson, Powell and Vint.

Can’t imagine Hayrettin would stay ‘in discussions’ with Felix and Thompson if he thought they were responsible for the problem, so we’re down to four potential players out of 16.

One played 90 minutes (Wood), one played the first half (Owusu), one came on for the last 24 minutes (Powell), and Vint didn’t get off the bench.

I’ve only ever been a supporter, not involved in a club in any other capacity, but can that input to a game from such a limited potential bunch really effect a performance to the extent we saw that day?

Quite possibly the damage was already done by others before then, but still feels like there were enough players not tied to the original recruitment who could have made a difference?
It’s impossible to tell but I’m not really talking about the last game but the overall attitude and lack of effort that lead to it. Gavin was clear that those players recruited were to reach the Play Offs. The last day team was literally every player we had available for various reasons including the GP suspension which seems to have triggered a few. However we had Raymond suspended after 15 bookings the last of which was coming on at Hungerford to celebrate a goal. Our captain had a rib injury which, I doubt, could have been made worse by playing. Phillips was clearly unfit but dragged himself out there. Owusu demonstrated why he wasn’t trusted and was hooked at half time. I’m sure Hak will own up that Josh was a poor signing. So many of the contracted players injured, suspended, not trusted replaced by dragging in loan players, many of them not properly fit, just to fill a gap. If senior players had tried like Lawless & Woodman we’d have been fine. There’s a few now gone who I would happily have driven to a new club long before the season ended.
And as for somebody else’s comment about taking offers in the Isthmian rather than National League there are 3 potential ones - they made a lifestyle choice, they were offered more money, they had no offers. Most left before they could be told they weren’t wanted.
As a manager in any job and responsible for a team,why would I want to work with a staff member who had one of the following, let me down, is not a good team player, disruptive to the team, doesn’t want to be with the business any more when I have the chance to recruit ones i feel will do the job I want done?

Last edited:
Hope he’s made a few quid out of them worrying we might be in for him.
Was there really any chance of him coming back? For all the affection we have for him as supporters, I’d imagine his loyalty was more with the management team he played for for so long rather than the club, and no apparent links between him and Hayrettin.

He did well there last year, they look to be keeping the core of their play-off team together and are adding to it, whilst we’re starting again almost from a blank sheet. Even if there was an attempt to bring him back, the more attractive option for him seems pretty clear.

Last edited:
Was there really any chance of him coming back? For all the affection we have for him as supporters, I’d imagine his loyalty was with the management team he played for for so long rather than the club, and no apparent links between him and Hayrettin.

He did well there last year, they look to be keeping the core of their play-off team together and are adding to it, whilst we’re starting again almost from a blank sheet.
Completely agree. Still I hope they were worried enough to add on a few quid.

Was there really any chance of him coming back? For all the affection we have for him as supporters, I’d imagine his loyalty was more with the management team he played for for so long rather than the club, and no apparent links between him and Hayrettin.

He did well there last year, they look to be keeping the core of their play-off team together and are adding to it, whilst we’re starting again almost from a blank sheet. Even if there was an attempt to bring him back, the more attractive option for him seems pretty clear.
I don't know for sure but it was rumoured Rose threw him under the bus. I'd have him back at the drop of a hat as he is (still) proven at this level.

I don't know for sure but it was rumoured Rose threw him under the bus. I'd have him back at the drop of a hat as he is (still) proven at this level.
I think he was certainly entitled to feel he deserved to start the Carlisle game. So on that basis… Having said that he seemed to be very into Gavin being involved in the testimonial so… maybe not.

I think he was certainly entitled to feel he deserved to start the Carlisle game. So on that basis… Having said that he seemed to be very into Gavin being involved in the testimonial so… maybe not.
That game looks like a huge watershed moment with 3 and a half years of hindsight. We'd fielded an unchanged XI for the previous four matches, then suddenly it was all change for the big one.

I don't think Nyren ever made the transition from being an outstanding Isthmian League player to becoming similarly effective at the higher level. He often seemed to make little impact in National South and only started 13 league matches in his final season, with another 17 from the bench. His goal tally dwindled from 20 in the promotion season to 8 the following season, then just 4 in his final season.

That game looks like a huge watershed moment with 3 and a half years of hindsight. We'd fielded an unchanged XI for the previous four matches, then suddenly it was all change for the big one.
Agree.

If you wanted to be melodramatic you might say it was the moment it stopped being about Hamlet and the moment it started being about Gavin.

Personally it was the moment I lost connection with the team.

Definitely won't get excited about a signing from Boreham Wood until I've seen what he can do. Unbelievable amount of shit we've signed from that club who played in THAT FA Cup run!
Suggest some of those players have been badly used in the wrong systems. You don’t play at the top end of the Conference if you’re a poor player.

Suggest some of those players have been badly used in the wrong systems. You don’t play at the top end of the Conference if you’re a poor player.
Totally understand what you're saying Liam, not my favourite club Boreham Wood but do hope we have finally signed one of theirs that looks good in pink n blue.

Interesting moves... Clifton, Ricketts and Braham-Barratt are getting on a bit, but they have tonnes of experience at higher levels, hopefuly they can still keep up. Gyebi is a unit and should hopefully be quality.

Interesting mix and good to get some signings done. A year ago, Scott, Ricketts, and Clifton were all at Conference Prem clubs, so I think it's fairly impressive that we've managed to get them to drop two levels to the Isthmian. I'm sure Clifton and Ricketts will be able to keep the pace - it would be remarkable if they were capable of playing Conf Prem a year ago, but unable to make an impact at Isthmian 12 months on.

I think we've seen the spine of the team today, minus a keeper and another centre half. There is some massive experience in there and HH seems keen to stress that these players want to be here, unlike some of the clowns we had recently. I think he's very clear about what the problems were last season and what he wants now. I know we've tweeted that Ricketts is a defender but from the Googling I've done I can only see him billed as defensive midfielder, which is reassuring given how effective the Kargbo role was at this level 5 years ago.

I'd imagine there's still plenty more to go, too. I think Harris said he wanted a squad of 24, so we've got another 17 to go! If he keeps Porter and (pfffft) Krasniqi and maybe Thompson (I think we can assume that Felix has gone), that still leaves us 14 short. Interested to see what comes in next.

My only concern is goals. It looks like we've got 3 strikers so far, but Mills is not the force he once was, Clifton is not a goalscorer, and if we keep Porter then I would have down as a handful, but not a regular supply of goals. I'd hope that the next batch of signings either have some track record of goalscoring or are perhaps fresh out of a pro academy, and not classic target men.

Regardless, good to see the team starting to take shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom