Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shere Hite dies aged 77

weltweit

Last edited:
I read it when I was about 17 and then revisited it throughout my twenties alongside other books. Found it really interesting and enlightening. It informed a lot of my developing feminism.

Gawd rest her bones.

I would have been 12 when it came out, as a teenager I knew her name but not really what her report was about. I still haven't read it but now I am interested.

It’s available free on the internet. There was a follow up about male sexuality too.

I have just finished reading it, I found it good, I like things that could help me be a more successful lover and this report is such a thing - although that certainly isn't its aim.

Reading about bad male practices reminded me of my almost total ignorance when starting out with sex and how often my performances were severely lacking from the female point of view. And in most cases I only got one chance to make a first impression, after I blew that there was usually no possibility of what could otherwise have been a decent relationship, in some cases I still (many years later) wish I could turn the clock back to have a second attempt.

It explained an amusing use of electric toothbrushes, focusses a lot on clitoral orgasms but does not mention that other much vaunted item, the g-spot. In fact as the g-spot is not mentioned once I think we men can happily forget our probably fruitless search for it :) :(

The traditional version of heterosexual intercourse, foreplay, entry, thrusting followed by male orgasm, immediately followed by male snoring - got a well deserved slagging off, guaranteeing only male orgasm and in most cases not a lot of pleasure for the woman. It is such a stereotype that the man goes immediately to sleep following orgasm, but I have certainly been there.

It is a big report, 650 pages.

I am no historian so can't put the report into the context of the sexual revolution provided by effective contraception and the like, it does find that female sexual freedom is often not thought to be the blessing which it promised as it brings other less desirable obligations.

Politically I haven't got my head around it, just finished reading, SheilaNaGig I would be interested in your views? was this report at a pivotal time for expanding female sexual freedom? and has there been significant development since? Is it seen as an important tome within feminism?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom