Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Salmond, Alba, and Direct Action

Border Reiver

Alba as a new party is more willing than the SNP to consider direct action for Scottish Independence.

Is civil disobedience justified if Westminster denies a second referendum?

Alba as a new party is more willing than the SNP to consider direct action for Scottish Independence.

Is civil disobedience justified if Westminster denies a second referendum?
Hello new member. What direct action do you mean? I’ve not heard these suggestions.

Bearing in mind that the term “direct action” has particular meaning for anarchists, are you sure you mean that?

As far as I was aware, their proposal was to omit the referendum and have the parliamentary majority negotiate for independence. I don’t count that as “direct action” (with it being done by so called “representatives”).

Hello new member. What direct action do you mean? I’ve not heard these suggestions.

Bearing in mind that the term “direct action” has particular meaning for anarchists, are you sure you mean that?

As far as I was aware, their proposal was to omit the referendum and have the parliamentary majority negotiate for independence. I don’t count that as “direct action” (with it being done by so called “representatives”).

At the launch of Alba he was asked if a referendum was the only way and he replied that civil disobedience (undefined) might be necessary to get Westminster to engage.

That is SNP policy. Alba seems more open to civil disobedience.

At the launch of Alba he was asked if a referendum was the only way and he replied that civil disobedience (undefined) might be necessary to get Westminster to engage.
Salmond? I didn’t watch the whole launch and haven’t seen that section reported. I take your word for it, though.

Back
Top Bottom