Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russell Brand: rape and sexual abuse allegations, grifting and general dodginess - discussion

Idk what to make of the theory that he moved into the conspiracist guru market as a cunning long term plan to insulate himself for when this day inevitably rolled around. Makes perfect sense logically and have always thought he was thoroughly cynical and self motivated, but dunno. Maybe it was just win win, the uncritical adulation that sort of audience offers is a reward in itself as well as a sort of insurance plan.

It’s just a mirror-image conspiracy theory for conspiracy theorists who don’t happen to like Brand imo.

Idk what to make of the theory that he moved into the conspiracist guru market as a cunning long term plan to insulate himself for when this day inevitably rolled around. Makes perfect sense logically and have always thought he was thoroughly cynical and self motivated, but dunno. Maybe it was just win win, the uncritical adulation that sort of audience offers is a reward in itself as well as a sort of insurance plan.
I'm inclined to think that his loonery and ct stuff are separate issues to his sexual history. Sure, they are linked somehow, but I kind of doubt he was preparing for the future with his ramblings.
I think that he's more the sort who thinks what he has done wasn't really that bad, semi-consensual, etc, and hoped it wouldn't come back to bite him.
The ct stuff seems to be more of an opportunistic thing, a career move, a money maker, and he probably believes this sort of stuff to an extend. Plenty of others do.

I don't see it as likely to be planned either. Conspiracy theories are attractive to narcissists, because in a sense their entire life is a mini conspiracy theory.

He has a long association with the conspiracy scene, think the cunning plan theory is nonsense to be honest.

He has a long association with the conspiracy scene, think the cunning plan theory is nonsense to be honest.
Yeah, I agree. I think this is what doubling down looks like. Dig your heels in and go "But look at THOSE people!" a lot. Keep doing it and suddenly you're Just Asking Questions.

I don't think he has that kind of foresight, and you can't maintain output like his without having some measure of true belief.

I've often thought some sort of staggered age of consent may be a better way to do things. A way of giving young people the freedom to do what they want with people of a similar age without the likes of Brand getting involved. 16 year olds being able to consent but it being illegal for 30 year olds to have sex with them for example. It may be unworkable in practice.
Works in Germany*; age of consent is 14, so long as the other partner is under 18. If the partner is 21 or under they may be tried as a juvenile or an adult, depends on the evidence and the age gap and the nature of the complaint. The idea is to offer the protection of the law to under 18s if they feel they need of it.

The ct stuff seems to be more of an opportunistic thing, a career move, a money maker, and he probably believes this sort of stuff to an extend. Plenty of others do.

I think with him particularly there's a feedback loop thing going on more than it being a pre-planned career move - he's obviously a total gobshite who chucks any old stuff out there, but he's found the more he goes down that route the more he gets attention so he keeps down that path. I guess he probably believes it to a degree at the point where he says it but would have no problem moving on to believing something else - FWIW in my speculative opinion it's a similar relationship to 'truth' that Boris Johnson has.

I think with him particularly there's a feedback loop thing going on more than it being a pre-planned career move - he's obviously a total gobshite who chucks any old stuff out there, but he's found the more he goes down that route the more he gets attention so he keeps down that path. I guess he probably believes it to a degree at the point where he says it but would have no problem moving on to believing something else - FWIW in my speculative opinion it's a similar relationship to 'truth' that Boris Johnson has.
Yeah think that applies to trump as well.

It’s just a mirror-image conspiracy theory for conspiracy theorists who don’t happen to like Brand imo.

Don't you need at least two people in order to form a conspiracy? Brand deciding by himself to pursue the tinfoil crowd as a means of cover might be argued to be implausible, but I'd hardly call it a conspiracy unless the term is robbed of its actual meaning.

YouTube have put out a statement:

YouTube said in a statement: 'If a creator's off-platform behaviour harms our users, employees or ecosystem, we take action to protect the community. This decision applies to all channels that may be owned or operated by Russell Brand.'

I’m not sure how simply demonetising the channels achieves this as opposed to removing all his content and banning him from the platform.

yeah, basically Brand, like Johnson, would tell you up was down if he thought it would make him rich and famous.

This.

Back
Top Bottom