Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russell Brand: rape and sexual abuse allegations, grifting and general dodginess - discussion

Little thought experiment here:

You're a guy who just turned 16. The year is 1965. You idolise Blondy and fancy Debby Harry (30 years old). You blag tickets to see her/them in concert. She stops the limousine and beckons you inside. You have a wild night and exchange numbers

Are you:
- traumatised
- exhilarated

Your parents find out and explain the power dynamics at play and that you are in shock and something awful just happened. She calls again.

Do you:
- go to the authorities and file a complaint
- sprint to her location

---

Ask this to 100 guys and 90%+ would say yes. Ask this to 100 women (with perhaps Jim Morrison instead), a lower but still high proportion would also say yes

You're a guy who just turned 16. The year is 1965. You idolise Blondy and fancy Debby Harry (30 years old). You blag tickets to see her/them in concert. She stops the limousine and beckons you inside. You have a wild night and exchange numbers

Are you:
- traumatised
- exhilarated

Your parents find out and explain the power dynamics at play and that you are in shock and something awful just happened. She calls again.

Do you:
- sprint to her location

---

Ask this to 100 guys and 90%+ would say yes. Ask this to 100 women (with perhaps Jim Morrison instead), a lower but still high proportion would also say yes
This:

Tbh this person is either being wilfully obtuse (in which case, gross) or trolling (in which case, gross), so my suggestion would be that they fuck off this thread until they can engage more thoughtfully.

Also i've not watched it but i understand at least one case happened in Los Angeles so would I assume be a matter for police and courts over there? Is this news in the US? I don't know how well known he is over there?
It made the front page of AP but not super prominent.

Are you:
- traumatised
- exhilarated

Do you:
- sprint to her location

---

Fuck off.

Are you:
- traumatised
- exhilarated

Do you:
- sprint to her location

---

You're confusing fantasy with reality. Young people fantasise about all sorts of things, but I doubt there were many 16 year old girls who fantasised about having a cock violently shoved so far down their mouths that they had to punch the man as hard as they could to make it stop. Or being made to feel worthless and used afterwards.

Are you:
- traumatised
- exhilarated

Do you:
- sprint to her location

---

You post like a 16 year old

Well the Mail today have decided not to use Brand's abuse to score political points. Oh wait...
1695036430007.png

We're going round in circles. I find it distasteful and all the other bad emotions. But i think it's very wrong that these allegations can be broadcast in public when they fit the definition of legality

Are you:
- traumatised
- exhilarated

Do you:
- sprint to her location

---

The girl has accused RB of forcing his cock into her throat and making her gag and cry. Not phoning her and asking her to meet up.

Please stop this triggering crap.

Are you:
- traumatised
- exhilarated

Do you:
- sprint to her location

---

Little thought experiment:

It’s 2010, you are a 30 year old man, do you ask girls you know are 16 out on dates?

We're going round in circles. I find it distasteful and all the other bad emotions. But i think it's very wrong that these allegations can be broadcast in public when they fit the definition of legality
Rape and sexual assault aren't legal. And according to 'Alice's' testimony, he raped her. And he raped/sexually assaulted the other women according to their testimonies too.

When the topic of big age differences comes around i'm usually sat here a bit lonely saying we should avoid rush to judgement and blanket rules about what’s ok what’s not ok etc but that's so not the point here is it?
A woman has gone to great lengths to spell out to us exactly how she feels about what happened to her when she was 16. Having read that & tried a bit to imagine what it was like for her back then and in the years following, it just feels completely gross people using her very personal and specific story as a handy jumping off board for the same old abstract theoretical discussion. Just yuck.

Little thought experiment:

It’s 2010, you are a 30 year old man, do you ask girls you know are 16 out on dates?
No I personally would not. But if i did I don't think it would mean i forego my rights of fair process and have the allegations made public

On balance, I think we have the line in the right place in this country.

Let's take a look at Iran:

As could be seen on the table
and the chart below, over 34% of all marriages registered officially in 1394 (2015-2016) is
related to the underage brides. There is no statistics on unofficial under-age girl marriages but
this phenomenon exists

When the topic of big age differences comes around i'm usually sat here a bit lonely saying we should avoid rush to judgement and blanket rules about what’s ok what’s not ok etc but that's so not the point here is it?
A woman has gone to great lengths to spell out to us exactly how she feels about what happened to her when she was 16. Having read that & tried a bit to imagine what it was like for her back then and in the years following, it just feels completely gross people using her very personal and specific story as a handy jumping off board for the same old abstract theoretical discussion. Just yuck.
Yes, she has gone to great lengths. And that's fine in some ways. But the fact they've been packaged and broadcast is a huge breakdown in fair process

Back
Top Bottom