Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Repossessions to rise when interest rates go up

if you post shite on a public messageboard, don't get the hump when you're called on it

I'm not posting shite. Not at all. You are misrepresenting what I'm saying, which is a shite thing to do, I'll grant you. As far as I'm concerned, you talk a lot of half-understood long-winded crap when it comes to economics, ld.

I'm not posting shite. Not at all.

In the space of a few pages you've posted an enormous amount of ill understood shite (which, when challenged on you clam up and run away), a few examples:-

It is anachronistic for any govt to lend at a lower rate of interest than it borrows at, which is the current state of affairs [For japan]

Shite

If UK pension funds hold a significant chunk of the debt (which they do - I believe it's something like a third), that is an entirely different proposition from, say, Chinese organisations holding it. That is simply a method of funding pensions (a bad one imo, but not an illogical one) where instead of paying pensions from direct taxation, the govt pays them through paying interest to pension funds

Shite

most of Japan's national debt is owed to Japanese people/organisations, so it's not really a 'national debt' as such at all.

Shite

In reality, a large chunk of the debt is from QE

Shite

You are misrepresenting what I'm saying, which is a shite thing to do, I'll grant you.

I'm responding to what you have said, and pointing out where it is wrong. I know that might come as a bit of a shock to you that you're not near as clever as you think you are - but that's your problem not mine

As far as I'm concerned, you talk a lot of half-understood long-winded crap when it comes to economics, ld.

don't mix up your inability to understand (or refusal to aknowledge) something with it being half-understood crap on the part of the person saying it

Cheers for that Fruitloop.
I remember kabbes posting some while back that this recession was the same as any other and things would be as they were in a few years (that was the gist as I remember it but sorry if I got that wrong) .. just wondering if he still thinks that or if it's different this time even in the capitalist scheme of things ? Feels to me like there's no way interest rates can go up in the current climate but I'm clueless re the ins and outs etc. I wouldn't want to remortgage my house as a money making exercise but as a means of survival and I imagine lots of people are in the same boat .. it'd piss me off to think that there are sharks out there who knew what was going to happen and made a whole load of more millions out of other people's suffering and never gave a fucking shit about anything other than their own wealth.
I hope those fuckers haven't a clue either and at least you'd have to give them credit for having the bollocks to gamble or summink.

I dunno rory, I look at the big picture and I'm not qualified to give advice on personal finance. In general though I reckon that if you have a source of income that you could use to make the repayments on the remortgage then you'd be better off using that to sort out whatever it is you need to sort out (even if that means arrangements with creditors etc) and leave the capital in the house alone. And if you don't have a sufficient income to cover the payments on the remortgate then I wouldn't touch it with a bargpole. But I don't know your situation etc.

Maybe sedn kabbes a pm 'cos the threads got a bit wrangle-y.

I think, tbf, that I said I thought it would be a recession like others but longer and deeper. I still think that's about right but, crucially, I didn't at that time allow for the fact that a Tory party would get into power and fuck all recovery up spectacularly by stopping the lifeblood of public investment. This will no doubt make it longer and bloodier than it otherwise would have been.

My personal view -- and take this with a big pinch of salt because I'm overstepping my authority with this one -- is that growth is going to basically freeze for another two or three years and keep interest rates frozen with it. I think we're going to bob along between about -1% to +1% growth before the next cycle kicks in at some point in the 2013-14 range. I think if the government had persisted with supporting investment growth with spending then we would have been into a reasonable growth cycle by the end of 2012.

kabbes, perhaps you could be an independent adjudacator here - what's your opinion on the four statements that I quoted from lbj above and claimed were shite?

Do you agree or disagree with them?

"Just put your hand in this boiling oil for a minute, would you?"

:D

FWIW, I think you're arguing about the same picture from different perspectives. You're coming at it from the point of view of "the state", i.e. the treasury. lbj is coming at it from the point of view of "the country", i.e. the collection of individuals who live here, who each have a series of relationships with both the private and public sector. For example: from the former perspective, it doesn't matter who the debt is owed to. From the latter, it most definitely does.

cop out! (the perspective was fairly clear I would say, i.e. the national debt of the state)

here's an easier couple though:-

In reality, a large chunk of the debt is from QE

true or false?

It is anachronistic for any govt to lend at a lower rate of interest than it borrows at, which is the current state of affairs [For japan]

true or false?

I didn't understand "a large chunk of the debt is from QE", I have to admit. In what way is it from QE, lbj? Because I have to come off the fence on that one and agree that it isn't my understanding of QE. But maybe lbj has a fresh perspective.

Also, "anachronistic" seems like an odd word to describe borrowing. And I don't see either Japan or the UK lending at a lower rate than they are borrowing either, so I'm also going to have to ask him to explain that one.

I didn't want to be dragged into this. I don't have the time at the moment!

a large quantity of the debt comes from the bailout to the banks might be nearer the money. QE is just an equal tax on all the existing holders of a currency.

But but but . . . the private sector is supposed to be stepping into the breach, not stepping off a cliff!

It's just shocking how things turn out.

April service sector numbers down
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13955306

The breakdown of April's service sector output figures show that the biggest decline from March seen in the ONS's distribution category, which includes the retail sector. This saw a 2.5% fall.
Update, 15:54: During the great recession of 2008 to 2009, when the ouput of the British economy fell more than 6%, the disposable incomes of British households actually rose a bit - because benefit payments and tax credits increased faster than the rate of inflation.

In other words, the recession for most households has only started since the end of the official recession.

Today's updated figures on economic activity in the first three months of the year show that real household disposable income fell 0.8% compared with the previous three months and 2.7% over the year - which is the biggest decline since 1977.

What's happening is that inflation has been rising considerable faster than wages, tax credits or benefits.
Interesting coment
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13941964

I didn't understand "a large chunk of the debt is from QE", I have to admit. In what way is it from QE, lbj? Because I have to come off the fence on that one and agree that it isn't my understanding of QE. But maybe lbj has a fresh perspective.

While there is clearly a subjective and murky aspect in relation to the outcomes & impacts of QE, which can shift depending upon the perspective taken, the actual mechanics as to how QE is carried out & implemented are very straightforward, and no amount of perspective shifting can lead to a situation, as asserted by lbj, that a large chunk of the debt is from QE.

The whole purpose of QE is to create an artificial demand in the bond market by the introduction of a buyer with deep pockets, with money created by a keystroke, increasing demand for the issued debt and pushing down yields as a result (while replacing, in the hands of the sellers, bonds with cash in the hope something 'useful' is done with it) - i.e. the whole point of QE relies upon the debt to actually exist so that QE can effect it's purchase in the secondary market - otherwise there would be no point to QE. lbj's claim that the debt itself is from QE displays a dismal understanding of how the thing works. What grated with me about this is not so much that he doesn't understand the topic he's talking so authoritatively about, but the fact that he asserts these untruths in the very same post where he laments the disinformation and half-truths flying around about this. There's a few thread around QE and National Debt here and here that have been over things like this before.

Also, "anachronistic" seems like an odd word to describe borrowing. And I don't see either Japan or the UK lending at a lower rate than they are borrowing either, so I'm also going to have to ask him to explain that one.

I didn't mind the word anarchronsitic in itself, it's just that it doesn't apply - as the situation lbj asserts, once again, isn't anything like an accurate descrption of what's going on.

Also I accept to an extent your point about the different perspectives in relation to who issues the debt and who holds it - but this grouping together of public and private interests just because they happen to share the same national flag does not mean that the debit itself doesn't exist. This is just like bringing together any collection of debtors and creditos (private/public/mixed) and say just because at a net level it all cancels out then it says something about the individual debtors and individual creditors. I mentioned in the very first post on this topic that yes the holders of the debt makes a difference to the degree of risk of capital flight, market pressure, bond market vigilantism etc (just as the maturity profile of the debt itself can also reduce or increase the risk of those things), but lbj's original assertion was that the national debt wasn't really national debt, purely on the basis of who holds that debt. That's like saying there's actually no debt at the world level because everyone who holds that debt happens to live in the world - and you only have to worry if it's aliens that hold the debt - it's batshit crazy.

I didn't want to be dragged into this. I don't have the time at the moment!

We're nearly done! how about a quick comment on the public/private pension point - then I'll excuse you from jury service for the rest of your life.

Sometimes it makes sense to consider both debtors and creditors; sometimes it doesn't. It depends why you are performing the analysis. When we are considering buying a company, we don't worry about the inter-group loans that it owes to itself, for example, because we are interested in the whole thing.

In the case of the UK economy, we might be interested in who owns the debt because we're not actually necessarily that interested in the treasury itself. If that sounds whack then consider: why do we actually care if the government owes money? Are we the government? I know in an idea world, the government is the people and the people is the government. But actually, the government frequently acts more like a private club focussed on the interests of a select few. We might not benefit that much individually from the fact that a pension fund owns government debt... but we don't lose that much individually from the fact that the government owes it either.

In short, I don't think it's as straightforward as saying that "the treasury" is equivalent to "the country". Most transactions take place outside the public sector -- are these impacted by treasury debt and, if so, in what way? And do we care about these transactions less than public transactions?

Pensions
OK, as regards pensions: the concept is that funding has to be created to care for people in their old age. This funding will come partially from the private sector and partially from the public sector. The greater the degree to which the private sector achieves the funding, the less the degree that the state has to pick up the tab. Flipping this on its head: the greater the degree to which the private sector fails to provide for people in their old age, the greater the degree to which the state has to pay instead. (Either that or it lets people starve. Under this government, could go either way.)

So let's look at pension funds and how they are financed. To a large degree, these funds own government debt. Indeed, to a large degree, government debt is owned by pension funds. So what's happening there? Government is paying interest to the pension funds. That is enabling the pension funds to grow and (without wishing to spend pages discussing investment strategy vis a vis pensions) to stabilise the costs pensions in payment.

If this government debt didn't exist, private pension funds would find their tasks considerably more difficult. Volatility would be introduced and where there is volatility, there is cost. In short, you could expect private pension provision to drop.

LBJ's point, I believe, is that if this chain of consequences came about, the public sector would have no choice but to make up the shortfall. So they would be saving the coupons on the government debt but they would be paying out on a PAYG basis for retirement provision instead.

Wrapping all that up into a neat bow, you could argue that by paying stable interest payments on government debt to pension funds, the government is functionally partially funding private sector pension schemes. It's certainly a reasonable perspective, even if it isn't technically the mechanic being employed.

Sometimes it makes sense to consider both debtors and creditors; sometimes it doesn't. It depends why you are performing the analysis. When we are considering buying a company, we don't worry about the inter-group loans that it owes to itself, for example, because we are interested in the whole thing.

Indeed, and in a discussion surrounding both the level of UK (or Japanese which was the original topic) state issued debt and whether it is debt at all - the question of who owns it makes no difference as to i) the level of that debt and ii) whether it actually exists at all.

When you are considering buying a company you don't disregard the liabiliities of that company just because they are held by another non-related company from the same country. As you say you look at the entity as a whole and the assets & liabiliites that are external to it - which is exactly what I'm doing in relation to a discusion about state issued debt.

The Debt/GDP ratio reflects the liabilities of the state (which are backed by the state's ability to tax), it does't filter out debt that happens to be owned by private (or public) interests of the same country, but it would be mad to do so, because the context and point of that ratio is blind to who owns the debt.

In the case of the UK economy, we might be interested in who owns the debt because we're not actually necessarily that interested in the treasury itself. If that sounds whack then consider: why do we actually care if the government owes money? Are we the government? I know in an idea world, the government is the people and the people is the government. But actually, the government frequently acts more like a private club focussed on the interests of a select few. We might not benefit that much individually from the fact that a pension fund owns government debt... but we don't lose that much individually from the fact that the government owes it either.

All of this above is fine, but you have moved the topic on to an analysis/perspective that is different to the one which was the backdrop to the original discussion - i.e. around the sustainability etc. of a particular govt's debt - so in that context you (or we) do actually care that the state (not the governmet) owes money, because that is what the discussion is about

In short, I don't think it's as straightforward as saying that "the treasury" is equivalent to "the country".

I agree (and this conflation of state/country by lbj is what i was arguing against)- hence when talking about the level of state issed debt (and as to whether it is actually debt or not) and the sustainability thereof (which was the context of the discussion that gave rise to this argument) the net assets/liabilities of the wider country in which that state exists are irrelevant. Just as you wouldn't consider the assets of a non-related company in your analsysis of a group/company you were considering buying, just because that non-related company was the owner of the liabilities issued by said company

Most transactions take place outside the public sector -- are these impacted by treasury debt and, if so, in what way? And do we care about these transactions less than public transactions?
Again I agree, and in a different context we would perhaps care more, less or the same about those transactions you mention- however in the context of this discussion, those transactions are not really relevant, as the discusion was about state issued debt - not the combined assets/liabilities of a collection of public/private interests who happen to share the same national flag.

no time for the pension stuff at the moment, will do later though

To be fair, at this point I have no memory of what the context of the original discussion was. The OP is no help at all because it's about repossessions and nothing to do with treasury committments.

OK, as regards pensions: the concept is that funding has to be created to care for people in their old age. This funding will come partially from the private sector and partially from the public sector. The greater the degree to which the private sector achieves the funding, the less the degree that the state has to pick up the tab. Flipping this on its head: the greater the degree to which the private sector fails to provide for people in their old age, the greater the degree to which the state has to pay instead. (Either that or it lets people starve. Under this government, could go either way.)

I think that's a wee bit too idealist there about the material interaction between the two - reality at the moment is that both privately provided and state provided retirement benefits are being scaled back, with no compensating/offsetting effect being seen. Likewise in the post war until now period, increasing retirement provision by the private sector via final salary pension schemes (combined with those people living much longer etc..) did not see an equivalent decrease in state pensions as a result

Just in general terms even, if you have a private pension that pays a certain amount, you don't have that amount deducted from your state pension - likewise just because you are drawing a state pension, this amount is not deducted from any payout you may get from a private scheme. Likewise I am unaware of any changes to state provided pensions to compensate for the change from defined benefit to defined contribution pensions which are privately provided. I know you're not suggesting anything as crude as this - but the reality is that the two things are separate and indeed additive rather than complementary in the way you suggest (fair enough there are probably various things around the contracted out status which I don't really know about, but these are marginal)

So let's look at pension funds and how they are financed. To a large degree, these funds own government debt. Indeed, to a large degree, government debt is owned by pension funds. So what's happening there? Government is paying interest to the pension funds. That is enabling the pension funds to grow and (without wishing to spend pages discussing investment strategy vis a vis pensions) to stabilise the costs pensions in payment.

Agreed - however as discussed above, the liability that these private pension funds have for current & future pension payouts, is not one that would be picked up by the state/public sector if those private pension schemes did not exist. (which is what both lbj and yourself seem to be implying in the way that you have both framed the discussion/situation) This again can be demonstrated by the fact that when future private pension payouts are reduced through moves from defined benefit to defined contribution, the reduction in future payouts that the pension provider/company pension scheme enjoys is not offset by an increased cost elsewhere in state provided pensions. So this demonstrates that it's not a case of where pension obligations increase/decrease for private providers they decrease/increase for state obligations - and for lbj's point to be valid, this needs to happen, but it's not.

If this government debt didn't exist, private pension funds would find their tasks considerably more difficult. Volatility would be introduced and where there is volatility, there is cost. In short, you could expect private pension provision to drop.

True, but given most schemes will be defined contribution before long anyway, volatility will be introduced regardless and the cost of that volatility under those circumstances falss on the pension holder not the provider (and that pension holder is not going to be compensated for reductions in private pension income by an uplift in state provided pension payouts). Also, if govt didn’t exist, say because pretty much all functions of the state had been outsourced to or taken on by private interests, then the debt that the state previously used to have, would end up being issued by those private interests (serviced by fees paid by the state which in turn are funded through taxation), and the private pension scheme providers would own that debt instead and use it to back their own pension liabilities

LBJ's point, I believe, is that if this chain of consequences came about, the public sector would have no choice but to make up the shortfall. So they would be saving the coupons on the government debt but they would be paying out on a PAYG basis for retirement provision instead.

But as already demonstrated, in the here & now, the actual reduction in private pension provision (through moves away from defined benefit etc..) that we are seeing at the moment is not leading to any moves by the public sector to make up the shortfall, quite the reverse in fact, the shortfall is being made even worse through a retreat of state funded pension provision (increased retirement age, changing of indexation from RPI to CPI etc, a refusal to previously index pensions to earnings etc....). Your/lbj's model seems to rest on a premise that a certain amount of provision will always be paid, and if the private element increases/decreases the public/state element will decrease/increase, but this doesn't hold true in theory or in practice, either histotically or in the here & now.

Alright, no way am I getting dragged further into a long discussion on a day when every deadline is coming home to roost.

Suffice to say that the fact that pension promises are being scaled down now does not mean that, when those people on those promises actually retire in 30 years, the government won't have to step in to rescue people from poverty after all.

Suffice to say that the fact that pension promises are being scaled down now does not mean that, when those people on those promises actually retire in 30 years, the government won't have to step in to rescue people from poverty after all.

But the hypothesis being put forward by lbj (or at least by yourself, admirably on his behalf, as he's done his usual and scarpered when found out to be talking nonsense) is not one based on a binary situation of people being in poverty or not being in poverty.

It suggests that private sector pensions and the state pension are two different ways of doing exactly the same thing (i.e. providing a given level of post retirement benefit). It suggests an asbolute interconnectedness between private sector pension schemes & state pensions - which boiled down, says that an increase/decrease in the obligations of one results in a decrease/increase in the oblilgations of the other (i.e. that private sector provided pensions are just really state pensions in disguise). Only if this holds true can lbj's original claim have any validity, but it doesn't.

And in your example, someone who could have previously been expected to enjoy a defined benefit pension who now will have to make do with a defined contribution, is not necessarily going to be in 'poverty' because of that. They simply will have a lot less to get by on in their old age - this decrease is not going to be compensated by an increase in state pension provision - in fact it will be exacbrated by it. Conversely anyone likely to find themselves in poverty in 30 years time are more likely to be those who had absolutely no private pension provision in the first place - so while the state may provide some basic/minimum level of support, it's not in response to a withdrawl of pension provision from the private sector.

For his claim to hold true there would have to be a near completely negative correlation between pension benefits provided by private schemes and that of the state (at both the individual and societal level) - but the fact is pretty much the reverse of this, a positive correlation.

The prosecution rests now anyway

Low interest rates isn't a one way street of good news. It fucks savers and facilitates cheap money for the finance capitalists to gamble with.

I'd like to think there would be some solidarity in helping resist evictions, many of these houseowners will have contributed to the same banks through bailouts via tax. Somewhere along the line the endless screwing of the poor and middle class is going to have to be stood up to cogently and robustly.

Apologies for the mud-slinging yesterday. I don't like it when I start doing that.

I'll answer a couple of ld's points.

Firstly, I say that it is anachronistic for the government (including its organs such as the Bank of England) to lend money at a lower interest rate than it borrows. This is a fairly simple point - if you need to borrow, why do you lend at a lower rate? A bank will borrow from the Bank of England at a certain rate and lend to others at a higher rate - the difference between the two rates being its profit margin. Now, regardless of whether or not it is the same people buying gilts as it is borrowing at the BofE base rate, what they are doing when they lend at the base rate is putting money into the private-sector system and what they are doing when they issue gilts is taking it back out again. Currently they are paying for the privilege of providing this service.

One US senator recently asked how this situation means anything other than simply giving money to rich people. And I have to agree - that is what it is in effect doing, and it is the exact reverse of the actions of any profit-making bank. It is as if the BofE were begging banks to make profit-making loans - to be banks - and were prepared to pay banks to do it if necessary. To me, this is an anachronistic situation.

My second point concerned whether or not the government gilts currently owned by the government (again taking the BofE as an organ of government) are part of the national debt.

If the government buys its own debt by going into the market and buying up UK gilts does the debt those gilts represent disappear? That would be a good trick - the govt could just buy all its debt and the national debt would disappear.

Clearly this would be ruinous - causing hyperinflation and a complete lapse in confidence in the value of the pound. But it is done a little in times of threatening deflation because in times of recession there is a danger that too many people will be paying off debts and too few taking out debts, reducing the money supply and causing deflation.

It is a Keynesian solution - when the private sector will not borrow, the govt has to. But the danger is, of course, the devaluation of the currency when you create money in this way. That inflation should be avoided while the private sector continues not to borrow, but you're storing up trouble for when the recession comes to an end - if you leave the extra money out there. Because that is the other side to Keynesian economics: in boom times, the govt pays down the debt it has accumulated in the recession by taxing the private sector. You avoid inflation in such a situation by paying back your own gilts: taking out of the system the money you previously put into it.

In this sense, the government-owned gilts do genuinely represent a debt and if it isn't repaid (meaning that the money is effectively destroyed), you risk causing inflation, and inflation of course means that you yourself have to borrow more to get the same amount of value.

I'm more than happy when people point out where I've gone wrong on this stuff. When it comes to QE, there appears to be no consensus at all among economists as to what it represents. This is my current way of looking at it, which seems sensible to me.

Back
Top Bottom