Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Re-opening Schools?

My son's school are all back next week. We got a letter from the head and his head of house recorded a virtual assembly. It made me feel a bit teary tbh :oops:

Can I ask how many masks your children are getting through in a day? I don't want to go down the disposable route but I'm not sure I can keep up with the laundry if he needs 5 a day or something

To be fair this is not representative of my sister's school. She said that approx 50-60% of parents on the school run had masks on.

That said her school have put up signs up and down the road enforcing mask wearing :hmm:

I didn't notice anyone not wearing a mask at my daughter's primary. It's likely there were some, and one day I forgot mine, and it's a small school. But I think everyone wants to support the school as much as possible to keep the children in school; my daughter seems like a different child this week.

TBH, I think that kind of comment is a bit stupid. Maybe it was a bit of a crowd, but it was outdoors and not for long. It is among the many sorts of things that people say 'oooh it's going to cause the next wave' about when it isn't.

DH's son's school has said masks in grounds are mandatory, which I find a bit silly, but I'm not going to argue with. When I go for son there's actually hardly anyone there as most of his classmates are now walking home (as will he, with a classmate who lives on our street, after Easter hols) - I guess it might be different when younger classes come out and all the parents are there.

kid1's college are being above-and-beyond cunts about exams :mad:

on friday they "unofficially" announced that they're cancelling the open book/coursework final assessment they had previously outlined for A levels. instead they're now doing "closed book timed assessments" in class. i.e. exams. with THREE WEEKS fucking notice.

and the cunts can't even be bothered to comment on these unofficial communications - final details not to be announced until next wednesday.

cunts cunts cunts cunts cunts

kid1's college are being above-and-beyond cunts about exams :mad:

on friday they "unofficially" announced that they're cancelling the open book/coursework final assessment they had previously outlined for A levels. instead they're now doing "closed book timed assessments" in class. i.e. exams. with THREE WEEKS fucking notice.

and the cunts can't even be bothered to comment on these unofficial communications - final details not to be announced until next wednesday.

cunts cunts cunts cunts cunts

DfE and exam boards are moving the goalposts all over the place at the moment, which could be a factor. Doesn't excuse shit communication from the college or lack of acknowledgement of the impact on students of course.

I dunno about A levels but GCSE assessment guidelines only came out last week I think. Schools have then been given very little time to cobble together assessment processes and communicate them to students and parents. In our department we had a 15 minute meeting in which to decide how to set GCSE grades.

It's a shit show for all parties, but it's the kids I feel for most of all. They've been thrown under the bus time and time again in the past year.

Last edited:
to temper my earlier temper i get that everyone's doing difficult jobs in difficult times. and kid1 is frustrated but otherwise pretty calm about the whole thing. at least an end to something is still in sight.

Still no positive tests at son's school.

Not sure about the girls' school. They are self testing rather than it being done centrally. I haven't heard of any positive tests and their years are still all in

Three weeks back and we (Lambeth comp) have had no positive cases yet.

lots of other things are awful though. Year 11 are working very poorly when compared with year 10, and year nine have had the biggest skills setback. It has shocked me. They won’t talk to each other about work, won’t stand up to rehearse - they don’t even want to play warm-up games like Splat or Tag. It’s really shocking and very sad and worrying.

We've had a few cases picked up on lateral flow tests, even one declared since students started testing from home.
Seeing the same as spanglechick , massive regressions in students. Both academically and socially. And those with additional needs really struggling to reintegrate and learn. Sadly little from the upper echelons to reduce the impact and stress this has had on staff and students, just piling on the extra duties for staff and the sanctions for students; some are getting detention every day already for minor infringements.

We've had one positive test (a student) and a whole class sent home till after Easter. It's a very cold and airy school though and really quite strict about masks and bubbles so one positive hopefully doesn't mean more.

I don't have a benchmark for regression not having done this pre-covid but the kids in my classes seem to be happy to be back.

Three weeks back and we (Lambeth comp) have had no positive cases yet.

lots of other things are awful though. Year 11 are working very poorly when compared with year 10, and year nine have had the biggest skills setback. It has shocked me. They won’t talk to each other about work, won’t stand up to rehearse - they don’t even want to play warm-up games like Splat or Tag. It’s really shocking and very sad and worrying.

A year's a very long time. My R has struggled going back to school although more or less happy to be there but she's anxious about her work. She thinks she hasn't made any progress in art, and she hasn't, because she needs to be taught and supported in a hands on way, it's really knocked her confidence, she thinks she can't do it.

somewhat behind the curve but school & college are finally both back \o/

kid2 reckons the bullying kids were less aggro yesterday, keener to make friends. guess absence really can make the heart grow fonder. and ditto, it's lovely to be back to something closer to normal service, asking how their day was and not already knowing the answer :cool:

Back
Top Bottom