Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keeping children off school

BB2’s school says you must keep your spawn away if they have the slightest sniffle, but it will be marked down as unauthorised absence. Which makes sod all difference to the kid, but does affect the school’s Ofsted. Why that then?

First bit makes no sense if that is what they are saying (but all too believable as well). We have 26 codes for reg, including 'Z' - none of the above. I reckon Z covers it.

I don't think you can do that!

The maybe all the family isolate? That's coming very soon anyway.

Please everyone, up how seriously you take this now. There are some slow moves behind the scenes for some very very unpleasant months ahead. Things that you now think are just too hard, or are going to be annoying will, if things pan out like they're looking to, wont even be remembered as issues soon.

No, the advice about what to do if a child is ill is very vague. But we’re going to all isolate anyway, I can’t see any other practical solution.
I'd say you're doing exactly the right thing. These are strange times. You are being responsible and should be commended.

The teachers will at least have given some thought to this and may have some schoolwork that the older ones can get on with.

The maybe all the family isolate? That's coming very soon anyway.

Please everyone, up how seriously you take this now. There are some slow moves behind the scenes for some very very unpleasant months ahead. Things that you now think are just too hard, or are going to be annoying will, if things pan out like they're looking to, wont even be remembered as issues soon.

Yes, family self isolating is the only answer. Which they're doing. Quite different to locking a child in their bedroom which isn't 'annoying' but very distressing for a very young child.

BB2’s school says you must keep your spawn away if they have the slightest sniffle, but it will be marked down as unauthorised absence. Which makes sod all difference to the kid, but does affect the school’s Ofsted. Why that then?
That is incorrect, we have been told to use code y for these absences - exceptional circumstances, which doesn't count against absence. Although they have probably told you that to try and force you to keep your kids in school.

First bit makes no sense if that is what they are saying (but all too believable as well). We have 26 codes for reg, including 'Z' - none of the above. I reckon Z covers it.
That is incorrect, we have been told to use code y for these absences - exceptional circumstances, which doesn't count against absence. Although they have probably told you that to try and force you to keep your kids in school.

I mis-read the mail:oops:

• In the event a child being kept off school whilst they are well and not showing any Covid 19 symptoms, their absence will be marked as unauthorised. This is the current local authority guidelines.

I'd say you're doing exactly the right thing. These are strange times. You are being responsible and should be commended.

The teachers will at least have given some thought to this and may have some schoolwork that the older ones can get on with.
6yo is very excited at the prospect of a week off, 9yo less so. I haven’t told the 6yo that his school is the one that’s already planned for online learning though 😂

On second thoughts and with the latest developments in mind I think I'm going to tell them that I'm unwilling for my children to be utilised by the government as a managed virus pool/vector for some fruitloop, national-scale epidemiological experiment and that the state can keep their rank fucking claws right off them :mad:

Ha ha. Much respect from all here. Ms Loop things it's awesome.

No, the advice about what to do if a child is ill is very vague. But we’re going to all isolate anyway, I can’t see any other practical solution.

Honestly, I don't think anyone really knows what the fuck is going on ;) :( I feel sorry for parents stuck at home with the kids and not being able to go anywhere, apart from the park (if they have access to one) for days on end. Kids not being able to play with friends... Some kids not having food to eat home, whose only meals happen in school, I mean the more I think about it the more anxious I get. It's just horrendous. That's why I think keeping schools open is the best option.

Good luck to parents trying to get their kids to learn online and also let's hope the internet can cope with the demand.

I just watched the press conference. The advice is to self-isolate if you have symptoms. Not the whole family. If there is someone in the family with symptoms, advice to the whole family to self-isolate might come in the next few weeks, but is not current advice.

Same here, only Scottish Highers. My daughter is anxious about what will happen. My nephew is worried they're going to be cancelled and he's going to end up with the marks from his prelims, which he totally bollocksed up and which might not be good enough for him to get into sixth year.
I know not quite the same as schools but Edinburgh university announced on Friday that all 1st and 2nd year exams are cancelled and 3rd years will be online.

One of the few good things is that kids don’t seem to get very ill with C19. But they can still pass it on though.

I'm in a quandary too. As I said elswhere wife has asthma and bad chest, recovering from chest infection with antibiotics and steroids. That said she's happy to send young one to school but has emailed asking if they're doing assembly's (entire school present) and what plan is for dinner times.

Just to ask others, what would you do?

If it's possible to keep them off, I would probably find they developed a cough tonight.

I'm in a quandary too. As I said elswhere wife has asthma and bad chest, recovering from chest infection with antibiotics and steroids. That said she's happy to send young one to school but has emailed asking if they're doing assembly's (entire school present) and what plan is for dinner times.

How well recovered is she? Is her asthma well managed? I think I'd be guided by her.Your wife's approach sounds sensible but of course you're going to worry about her. And it wouldn't harm anyone to keep your child off school to be on the safe side while she recovers fully if that's possible.

I'd keep them off. Tell the school they have a sore throat and cough and that nhs 111 has said to. At least until the rest of your family are better. Teach them at home, so much more learning comes from home than school.

How well recovered is she? Is her asthma well managed? I think I'd be guided by her.Your wife's approach sounds sensible but of course you're going to worry about her. And it wouldn't harm anyone to keep your child off school to be on the safe side while she recovers fully if that's possible.

She's two days into her antibiotics and steroids. Chest is loosining up and better but not 100%. Her asthma is usually OK but she smokes (rolls eyes) and when she picks something up it has a tendency to go to her chest.

Im naturally cautious and she's scared stiff, but there's an element of her trying to carry on as normal as she's quite ocd about her routine.

If schools don't close soon, I can't see them being able to cope with making all the 'should we send them in or not? ' decisions. That's a huge responsibility on many levels. They are not going to be able to differentiate between new coughs/old coughs/ persistent coughs and any other type of cough.

Back
Top Bottom