Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rape, sexual assault and harassment in the entertainment industry

Figures :thumbs:

Vile and almost completely unfunny.

Remember the late 00s and early 10s when the word rape became a common synonym for, amongst others: grabbed, occupied, seized, usurped, and/or appropriated?

I can vividly remember being marginalised by another in-group of people at uni for daring to suggest that that word shouldn’t be used for anything other than what it’s intended to mean. Not before the circle-jerk bullying and routine humiliation of course. But then again maybe I’m just:

View attachment 393131

Ay maomao ?

None of those mainstream acts were ever anything more than mildly amusing.
What the kind of monstrously over inflated ego posts up quotes about themselves in serious threads about rape and sexual abuse? If i see one m ore post like this today, you're toast.

Jonathan Majors guilty of domestic violence - Marvel's going to have to get a new villain for the next phase of the MCU

There's a piece by the BBC highlighting the music industry being a "boys' club" where sexual harassment and assault are common and misogyny is endemic.

The Women and Equalities Committee has written a report on the issues. Note the use of the term "household names" here:

The committee warned that non-reporting of sexual harassment and abuse was high, and that victims who did speak out struggle to be believed or face losing their career.

They said female artists are routinely undervalued and undermined, endure a focus on their physical appearance in a way that men are not subjected to, and have to work far harder to get the recognition their ability merits.

"Much of the evidence we received has had to remain confidential, including commentary on television shows and household names," the report said.

"That is highly regrettable but demonstrates the extent of the use of NDAs [non-disclosure agreements] and the culture of silence."

It said women in the music industry have had "their lives ruined and their careers destroyed by men who have never faced the consequences for their actions".

DJ Annie MacManus said there's a tidal wave of revelations waiting to be told.

Singer Rebecca Ferguson said her own evidence was just the tip of the iceberg.

'Women sit next to abusers at music industry parties' MPs warn

I’m surprised that P Diddy isn’t yet being noted on here.

Some really terrible accusations.

He settled an earlier case.

The allegations there are appalling.

The current allegations are also very bad.

And of course the rumour mill and conspiracy treadmill are running at full speed. Plenty of other slebs being caught up in the tailwind.

I’m curious about why it’s not been mentioned before now tbh. It’s a huge story.

Perhaps people are weary of looking into this particular abyss.

It may not be worthy of further discussion. Some of this bullshit is pretty predictable these days. But I think it’s worth adding his name and these allegations to this thread.

I’m surprised that P Diddy isn’t yet being noted on here.

Some really terrible accusations.

He settled an earlier case.

The allegations there are appalling.

The current allegations are also very bad.

And of course the rumour mill and conspiracy treadmill are running at full speed. Plenty of other slebs being caught up in the tailwind.
to be fair, it has been mentioned on another thread P Diddy Makes A Good Record Shocker but as you say it should have received more attention here

According to his wiki page, 60 alleged victims have now come forward. If that's anything like true - and there's no reason to doubt the accusers - the rest of the band have serious questions to answer about what they saw or heard.

Definitely. When I was reading about it last year at least one of the victims said the band must have been aware of at least some of what was going on from behavior exhibited by Sane in front of them involving young women on tour buses etc.

According to his wiki page, 60 alleged victims have now come forward. If that's anything like true - and there's no reason to doubt the accusers - the rest of the band have serious questions to answer about what they saw or heard.

That’s the case with every one of these situations.

Like, the Diddy situation. There were actual videos he filmed of actual sexual assaults that he showed to other people, none of whom did anything or said anything. They now say it was because they were worried about their own projects being nixxed. Footballers who either join in or josh the others about roasting events. And so on.

The problem is that collectively, under the patriarchy, women are considered less important than men’s creative projects, they’re considered collective property of the patriarchy, their fear, trauma and damage are considered less problematic than men’s worries.

That last point may be an artefact of the way men are taught by the patriarchy to downgrade their own trauma, fear, pain etc.

Anyway.
Point being that every single time men are called to account for this bullshit, it turns out that plenty of others in the room knew something was wrong. Security guards stand by or actively enable, handlers turn a blind eye, friends and family make excuses, police dismiss or ignore reports…

And yet, the victims are blamed for not coming forward, not speaking up, not reporting it sooner.

It’s really hard to speak up though. Anyone who’s been in a situation where they have to decide to do it will agree with that.

I spoke up against someone recently and I was castigated and shunned for it. One person swore me to secrecy and told me they know something about the person. Everyone else has closed ranks around them.

Definitely. When I was reading about it last year at least one of the victims said the band must have been aware of at least some of what was going on from behavior exhibited by Sane in front of them involving young women on tour buses etc.

“Must have been” isn’t the same as definitely knowing though. Tour buses are weird places.

Lostprophets still say they never knew what Ian Watkins was doing. Whether or not that’s true is impossible to verify. Nervous Conditions broke up the band 24 hours after hearing the allegations about their lead singer but had no idea what he was doing.

To be clear, not saying they did know, just saying it’s usually people outside the band who seem to have a better idea about what’s going on. Band are weird, man.

ETA
I know that second post seems to contradict the one above it

Did anyone watch the Gary Glitter documentary last night? Talk about hidden in plain sight: watching Glitter on Saville's TV show was incredibly painful. They're almost admitting what they get up to, and the testimony of a young family friend who had been abused by Glitter was horrific.

It’s really hard to speak up though. Anyone who’s been in a situation where they have to decide to do it will agree with that.

I spoke up against someone recently and I was castigated and shunned for it. One person swore me to secrecy and told me they know something about the person. Everyone else has closed ranks around them.

“Must have been” isn’t the same as definitely knowing though. Tour buses are weird places.

Lostprophets still say they never knew what Ian Watkins was doing. Whether or not that’s true is impossible to verify. Nervous Conditions broke up the band 24 hours after hearing the allegations about their lead singer but had no idea what he was doing.

To be clear, not saying they did know, just saying it’s usually people outside the band who seem to have a better idea about what’s going on. Band are weird, man.

ETA
I know that second post seems to contradict the one above it
You're right. Beyond bands people don't want to believe it of someone they like, know, love, trust etc. They may overlook troubling signs for this reason.

Did anyone watch the Gary Glitter documentary last night? Talk about hidden in plain sight: watching Glitter on Saville's TV show was incredibly painful. They're almost admitting what they get up to, and the testimony of a young family friend who had been abused by Glitter was horrific.
We did. Very good but hard watch. Just ugh at him and Jimmy Savile with their secret joke 😞

Actor Gérard Depardieu is apparently in custody in a Paris police station, being questioned over separate allegations from two women who worked with him on film sets in 2014 and 2021.

The Oscar-nominated actor has faced multiple accusations over the years, after being put under investigation in December 2020 for rape and sexual assault following allegations from actor Charlotte Arnould in 2018.

In 2022, French investigative news website Mediapart published information saying he’d been accused of harassing, groping or sexually assaulting 13 young women.

In December, France 2’s investigative documentary – Depardieu: The Fall of an Ogre – claimed the number of accusers stands at 16.

Actor Gerard Depardieu, 75, 'in custody over film set sexual assault claims'

Content warning - contains descriptions of sexual assault.

16 women have accused magician David Copperfield of sexual misconduct and inappropriate behaviour spanning decades.

More than half of the allegations are from women who said they were under 18 at the time of the incidents. Some said they were as young as 15, although he may not have known their ages.

The allegations against him include claims that he drugged three women before he had sexual relations with them, which they felt they were unable to consent to.

The claims against the 67-year-old illusionist – which he has denied – span from the late 1980s to 2014.

The Guardian US is examining these allegations as part of a series of stories that has drawn on interviews with more than 100 people and court and police records.

Revealed: Magician David Copperfield accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women

Just seen this about a non-league footballer being acquitted of rape and 'intending to cause distress' by sending naked photos. As always, whilst you have the stats about convictions in your mind whenever you read stories about an acquittal, there's not much you can really say about the verdict in a specific case. However the details about the photographs are just horrible. :(

Just seen this about a non-league footballer being acquitted of rape and 'intending to cause distress' by sending naked photos. As always, whilst you have the stats about convictions in your mind whenever you read stories about an acquittal, there's not much you can really say about the verdict in a specific case. However the details about the photographs are just horrible. :(

Ah fuck, the showing off and being a lad quote is....fucking hell. 🤬

The rape acquital is to be expected at this point but nothing for the photos. Fucks sake.

Never read any of his stuff - his dad was scientology PR Dirctor so I sort of wondered whether he was but apparently not.

Neil Gaiman.

I was momentarily going to say 'that's a shame, I liked him' or similar. No, it's a shame because of what he's (alleged to have) done.
Should qualify that, I liked his works, but didn't really warm to him. Always seemed a bit precious and up himself.

Back
Top Bottom