Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question Time tonight

Vermin Youth appear to have been rather organised and pro-active in their application for tickets. Memo to self...avoid Wembley.

CPI66BQWcAEkTMQ.jpg:large

In some contexts this may be true, but Lynne Truss does know a lot about punctuation. Such a pity that we don't have a Secretary of State for Syntax

Whenever I see the name "Liz Truss", I usually think it means "Lynn Truss" and then I do :(

I liked the dedication of "Eats, Shoots & Leaves"
To the memory of the striking Bolshevik printers of St Petersburg who, in 1905, demanded to be paid the same rate for punctuation marks as for letters, and thereby directly precipitated the first Russian Revolution

They were all on fucking message. everyone was sticking to their script, even if it had been rendered irrelevant by a previous answer.

What did people think of McDonnell? Not sure if his IRA explanation will stick tbh (and the woman saying 'but that just means you'll say anything, you can't be trusted' had a point if it does stick)

They were all on fucking message. everyone was sticking to their script, even if it had been rendered irrelevant by a previous answer.

What did people think of McDonnell? Not sure if his IRA explanation will stick tbh (and the woman saying 'but that just means you'll say anything, you can't be trusted' had a point if it does stick)

I think I've learnt is authenticity rather than what was said that seems to matter more. Got praise from another panellist for first time anyone's apologised..think that's what'll be remembered.

McDonnell and Corbyn are far used to holding impromptu meetings over twenty years, responding to off the cuff questions than those three mantra repeating txt from central office Blairites ..which got them found out in hustings, irrespective of the emptiness of their message.

Apart from coming across as authentic, what also mattered, (as an astute Tory in Telegraph said weeks back and reason I wanted Labour leadership going to JC and JM, is the platform they're now afforded..weekly at PMQs, QT and daily news broadcasts..even not singing a song at least gets that ridiculous dirge of an anthem onto the agenda..not hugely important of course..but some may now question things they wouldn't have previously, if say, a 'moderniser' had won..when none of us would have watched, and no one at work, or on the landings tomorrow, would have asked 'what do you reckon about Kendall thinking the minimum wage should be 20p more then?'
Its not Labourism, but using whatever tactic we have, or in this case given by tradition, to exploit. If our agenda is no longer marginalised, makes everyone's job easier.

.. What did people think of McDonnell? Not sure if his IRA explanation will stick tbh (and the woman saying 'but that just means you'll say anything, you can't be trusted' had a point if it does stick)

I hadn't had much exposure to McDonnell before, not being a politics wonk, so this was the first time I had really seen him. I liked him, he was quite nervous at the start but came across as sincere and straight talking, a little like Corbyn himself. It was noticeable also that after he spoke, the audience applauded, whereas after Liz Truss spoke no one clapped at all !!!

I haven't watched QT yet as I went to bed at 9.15. [emoji1]

I really like McDonnell though. He's chair of my former Trade Union's parliamentary group (and others I believe). He does lots for the group, comes to conference every year and is very popular with everyone I've spoken to and not just labour voters.
He's also been really supportive of individual reps and I've not heard a bad word against him from anyone I trust.

Obviously this will all probably change, I doubt he'll have the time to be so involved with the TUs now he's on the front bench but I'm delighted he's been appointed. I'd have joined years ago if his leadership bids had been successful.

Back
Top Bottom