Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question of Sport 'Stops Production'?

I remember Ian Botham and Emlin Hughes doing it every week and we used to watch it. Maybe waiting for something to come on afterwards? Dull as dishwasher becase non of us followed any sports whatsoever. To this day i still don't know what Emlin Hughes is famous for.
Paddy McGuiness though? Yikes. That's just the cherry on top of an unwatchable turd of a show.
Classic in its day.
Bring back Pop Quiz.

Used to be one of my nerdy guilty pleasures. Not since the revamp. Classic BBC fuck up, going after a new audience by pissing on the existing one and ending up with nobody watching. Aimed at people who don't care about sport, with presenters and team leaders who don't know much about sport - Monye in particular knew fuck all.

Feels like it was a programme that only made sense in the context of multiple generations sat around one household TV that had very limited options. In a way it's surprising it's made it this far.

Paddy MacGuiness though? Not only is he utterly charmless, what particular sporting knowledge does he bring to the table?

Well it was him or Sue Barker, Cliff Richard's old flame. I like him though. Not enough to watch qos.

Well it was him or Sue Barker, Cliff Richard's old flame. I like him though. Not enough to watch qos.
French Open winner Sue Barker, you mean? Only British winner of the French in the open era, man or woman?

The revamp was doomed. You used to have to have achieved something to be invited on. Then they started inviting 'celebs'. :rolleyes:

(It was a nerdy sports facts show with Sue Barker at the helm. I like nerdy sports facts. She's also the reason I will never forget the Russian word for dog. )

French Open winner Sue Barker, you mean? Only British winner of the French in the open era, man or woman?

The revamp was doomed. You used to have to have achieved something to be invited on. Then they started inviting 'celebs'. :rolleyes:

No I liked it. My mum used to like it and she knows fuck all about sports.

Joey Barton Ronnie O'Sullivan team captains. Ian Wright host. Dead easy. They used to have the accomplished American communist writers kicked out by McCarthty writing the kids shows ffs. Sorry, Sue, respect. :) * Just found the wholesomeness amusing.**

* she's not reading
*Again, taking the piss. Wright's great, Barton's suspect and O'Sullivan would probably laugh.

It was meaningless tripe (i.e sport) but it must've cost £12.50 a time to put this out at 19:30 on a Friday, and seemed to have diehard fans. They really fucked up by sacking Sue Barker for being too old.

It was always rubbish. It was like watching a programme made by your dad. But back in the day it had a certain generosity of spirit to it. And it's only sport. It doesn't matter.
Yeah, that really. I didn't like it enough to watch anything more than 10 minutes when my partner watched. But it only ever worked with an old fashioned vibe and humour. Almost comforting that it existed. But trying to 'modernise' it was a mistake and stank of desperation. Kind of like Gardener's Question Time Ultra.

Back
Top Bottom