Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Prince Andrew, Duke of York, named in underage 'sex slave' lawsuit

Popular opinion turns against the monarchy, government under pressure offers a referendum and republicans win it. Much like Brexit. We may even see a Republican Party applying voting pressure in a similar way UKIP did, and I would suggest that a large part of the reason the public tend to favour the monarchy is lack of exposure to republican arguments.

I don't see it happening in the immediate, but I would be surprised if it doesn't happen in the next 20 years. I mean come on, just look at the state of it.
First you need popular opinion to turn; support has never fallen below 60%. Then you need a government willing to sacrifice a considerable amount of its legislative time and political capital. It would have to be a non Tory government and that is unlikely in itself. Then it needs to get past the Lords as the Salisbury Convention would not apply. Then you need to design a replacement presidency and legislate for the powers of the crown to be determined with those of the president. Then there would probably have to be a confirmatory referendum.

Cloud cuckoo land.

Last edited:
And how enforceable it is, is open to debate. To say any government observes the ECHR is not saying much either, as it sets human rights at a very low bar, basic, or the best you can get with a bunch of merciless governments. Are ECHR minimum standards the best you can offer?

They are probably the strongest set in the whole world.

First you need popular opinion to turn; support has never fallen below 60%. Then you need a government willing to sacrifice a considerable amount of its legislative time and political capital. It would have to be a non Tory government and that is unlikely in itself. Then it needs to get past the Lords as the Salisbury Convention would not apply. Then you need to design a replacement presidency and legislate for the powers of the crown to be determined with those of the president. Then there would probably have to be a confirmatory referendum.

Our cuckoo land.
Is that what the Russians did?

Our cuckoo land.

I'm really not a buff on constitutional affairs, so you're probably right. As I'm looking at a time frame of about 20 years, I think we will see a Labour government within that sort of time frame, along with a popular republican discourse. Didn't realise that support for the monarchy has (in the past?) fallen to 60% though. I actually thought it was more popular than that, and the indicators are that it's popularity is about to fall possibly quite drastically when Charles becomes king.

To be honest I want to see the moribund monarchy drag on as an embarrassment to the British state rather swap it for whatever constitutional stitch up of a republic would come about via legislation (although I would still favour its abolition).

But here we are discussing the future like our opinions matter :).

They are probably the strongest set in the whole world.
So if ECHR is probably the strongest set of human rights in the world, what does that tell you about the world, the status quo you are so supportive of? In the case of monarchy, the rights of a member of the royal family are vastly preferential to the rights of your average member of the public. Where does the universality of human rights fit in with such a set up?

They ARE facts. They live in luxury - fact. At our expense- fact. They don't work - fact. They get treated like gods - fact. The queen looks miserable - fact.
She does look miserable given that fact 1,2 and 4,5 are true and number 5 increasingly so. To the work she does must be pretty hard. I mean she does have to talk Bojo the clown once a week. I mean that must cut her some slack. :D
TBF I can't image the work she does it that hard. It would actually be good to know, without the toadying interviews stating how great she is.

She probably has a lot of stuff to get through but it's all just signing and approving and hand-waving and rubber stamping. All utterly meaningless. I can imagine that gets pretty dry after however many decades of doing it. Still, if she doesn't like it she could always just abdicate like that nazi uncle of hers.

The Queen has her own bagpiper too
Wonder what you do all day if you are Bagpiper to the Sovereign? You can't spend all your time bagpiping as somebody would kill you making that racket all the time - but royalist bosses wouldn't let you doss around playing on your phone either. Is there some 'any other duties' clause in the contract? Cleaning up corgi shit? Supporting Philip's racism legacy?

Wonder what you do all day if you are Bagpiper to the Sovereign? You can't spend all your time bagpiping as somebody would kill you making that racket all the time - but royalist bosses wouldn't let you doss around playing on your phone either. Is there some 'any other duties' clause in the contract? Cleaning up corgi shit? Supporting Philip's racism legacy?
He probably has to own up to Brenda's farts.

I reckon this could be the coolest job ever, if your neighbours call the Plod on you for practising at 4am in the morning you could probably have them arrested

Drinking

If you look up the stats I think you'll find heavy drinking is common in the bagpiping community

So if ECHR is probably the strongest set of human rights in the world, what does that tell you about the world, the status quo you are so supportive of? In the case of monarchy, the rights of a member of the royal family are vastly preferential to the rights of your average member of the public. Where does the universality of human rights fit in with such a set up?
Don't let perfection be the enemy of the good.

Not only is it a real job, but the queen mother also had her own Bagpiper. :facepalm: Piper to the Sovereign - Wikipedia

You've got quite an ignore list for someone who's been here, lol, 2 weeks.

Oh, and can I go on it as well, if I tell you to fuck off?
Nobody seems to actually get ignored after being told that though. "Onto ignore" then replied to, over and over. Apparently when they've "cooled down" or start behaving like an adult, or similar patronising sneers. But they don't get ignored.

Nobody seems to actually get ignored after being told that though. "Onto ignore" then replied to, over and over. Apparently when they've "cooled down" or start behaving like an adult, or similar patronising sneers. But they don't get ignored.
To be fair this is the standard protocol for use of the ignore function on u75.

Back
Top Bottom