Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Political polling

sorry, but the Greens bring higher without tactical voting? I dont believe it for a second.

I think the whole idea of trying to calculate which votes were tactical is a bit flawed, but I can see how some people whose first choice would be Green would vote either Labour or LibDem on the basis that they don't think the Green would win in their constituency and (rightly or wrongly) they'd prefer them to the Tory.

Why not? I would have voted green but voted labour to try to get my local Tory out. That was a tactical vote. Given the chances of the greens in 646 UK constituencies I'm sure I was far from the only one. They'd get 20% easy under PR.

I did the same, and a Tory area held since the 1880s elected two Labour MPs, were you successful in your area?

Given the amount of tactical voting that went on across the country, I don’t think it’s particularly fair to look at Labour’s vote share and use that as a criticism of their (lack of) popularity.

If the Labour voters who went Lib Dem to kick the Tories out had voted for Labour instead, giving Labour a 40% vote share but the Tories an additional 50 seats, would that have been better or worse for Labour’s legitimacy? For the country? For the liberal left?

Under FPTP, the only measure of success you can reasonably use is the number of seats at the end of it. Understanding the underlying vote share helps you to address the tensions that exist in the electorate beneath the surface of course, see the rise of Reform, Greens, Independents as 2nd placed parties in Labour seats across the country, but this is all that vote share should be used for imo, rather than as an indication of legitimacy in and of itself.

(fwiw, I voted Green in a safe Labour seat to indicate my desire for a more left leaning and environmentally focused Labour Party)

Why not? Pretty sure a lot of their vote in Stroud went Labour to make sure of ousting Tory.
hmm, there are seats like that, but not that many.

I think it might just be terminology. It looks to me more like what people would say if they were given a choice in a PR system. In those seats where a Green (or whoever) never stood a chance, and quite possibly didnt even stand, a Labour vote wasn't exactly 'tactical', doing otherwise just wasn't even a serious possibility.

Hi editor and the mods; just a thought that, when all’s done and dusted with this sub-forum, it might be worth putting this “Political polling” thread back into the general politics forum?

I really don’t mind kicking off a new polling thread, but I think one of the valuable features of this existing thread is that it tracks back so far with a record of polling past.

Cheers, B

Not strictly polling, but hey...massive majority for those of us not voting (not keen on the 'party name' of "Apathy"):

View attachment 437498

View attachment 437499

Shows what low turnout does.

Presumably that means all the constituencies where more people didn't vote than voted for the elected MP.

When the LibDems see those figures, they'll drop their demands for PR and argue that only candidates who got more votes in their constituency than there were abstentions should count as MPs...

Not strictly polling, but hey...massive majority for those of us not voting (not keen on the 'party name' of "Apathy"):

View attachment 437498

View attachment 437499

Shows what low turnout does.
The problem is in assuming that those who didn’t vote have a coherent set of ideologies and concepts for the kind of society they would like to live in. In reality, that would be just as fragmented as those who voted

The problem is in assuming that those who didn’t vote have a coherent set of ideologies and concepts for the kind of society they would like to live in. In reality, that would be just as fragmented as those who voted
Of course; it was mainly JFF with a possible thought-provoking potential.

Well exactly. Parties like to claim they know how the electorate spoke. But in reality people who voted Labour didn’t have a coherent set of ideologies and concepts for the kind of society they would like to live in, either.

Back
Top Bottom