Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Political polling

A Green/Reform marginal must be interesting demographically. What’s wrong with those people?
Caveat: it's a newly drawn constituency with almost no immediate predecessor so some statistics are rather slapdash about three voting intentions.

I wonder what the YouGov poll will say?

There's one in the list above, which gives Labour 422 seats, I guess it'll be interesting to see what the one being launched by Sky at 5pm today says, but I am not convinced by these MRP polls.

IIRC yougov first used one in the 2019 GE, with a massive sample of over 100k, as did another company, and the results were far from impressive, electoral calculus got a lot closer without even carrying out a MRP poll.

z2019 MRP.png

Even in national poll share, yougov was totally useless in 2015 & 2017, whilst slightly better in 2019, they still got showed up by the like of suravation, opiinium, and ipsos mori.

Last edited:
There's one in the list above, which gives Labour 422 seats, I guess it'll be interesting to see what the one being launched by Sky at 5pm today says, but I am not convinced by these MRP polls.

IIRC yougov first used one in the 2019 GE, with a massive sample of over 100k, as did another company, and the results were far from impressive, electoral calculus got a lot closer without even carrying out a MRP poll.

View attachment 429639
YouGov first did an MRP election model in 2017 and were the only polling company to predict a hung parliament in their seat projections: Opinion polling for the 2017 United Kingdom general election - Wikipedia

YouGov first did an MRP election model in 2017 and were the only polling company to predict a hung parliament in their seat projections: Opinion polling for the 2017 United Kingdom general election - Wikipedia

Oh, I missed that one, cheers.

Strange they came up with a hung parliament, considering their national poll share was well out at 7%.

z 2017.png

I wonder what the YouGov poll will say?

Just announced, a fair bit worst for the Tories than the last one, Labour up from 422 to 425 seats, LDs up from 48 to 67, and Tories down from 140 to 108.

Reform up from 0 to 5, SNP up from 17 to 20, Greens unchanged at 2.

I'm thinking the polls are likely overestimating the Labour vote. People who say they are likely to vote Labour may very well just not on election day due to
1) a lack of enthusiasm for Starmer/Labour making Labour's vote soft
2) a reduced and demoralised activist base failing to get the vote out
3) that Starmer/Labour are bad at campaigning failing + playing it safe and thus failing to win over uncertain voters
4) complacency with respect to getting the Tories out.

There are other factors reducing the Labour vote of course such as disgust over Gaza, but that should already be reflected in the polls.

The complacency factor could be a real killer. People tell pollsters that they are likely to vote Labour and mean it, but come the day they might just not.

In my head when I see polls I subtract 5 points from Labour.

However, these factors are most likely to be in play in safe seats. And whereas the Labour vote maybe overestimated that vote will likely be more "efficient" than predicted. The Tories are still absolutely stuffed.

I'm thinking the polls are likely overestimating the Labour vote. People who say they are likely to vote Labour may very well just not on election day due to
1) a lack of enthusiasm for Starmer/Labour making Labour's vote soft
2) a reduced and demoralised activist base failing to get the vote out
3) that Starmer/Labour are bad at campaigning failing + playing it safe and thus failing to win over uncertain voters
4) complacency with respect to getting the Tories out.

There are other factors reducing the Labour vote of course such as disgust over Gaza, but that should already be reflected in the polls.

The complacency factor could be a real killer. People tell pollsters that they are likely to vote Labour and mean it, but come the day they might just not.

In my head when I see polls I subtract 5 points from Labour.

However, these factors are most likely to be in play in safe seats. And whereas the Labour vote maybe overestimated that vote will likely be more "efficient" than predicted. The Tories are still absolutely stuffed.

Labour have been polling 15-20% ahead of the tories for about a year now - and the bi-elections and local election results are in line with the polling. There is nothing to suggest that labours vote share is being overstated. Sure - people are genrally "meh" about starmer but that is vastly negated by the overwhelming "please just fuck off and keep fucking off" that something like 75% of voters feel about the tories. Even their base are clearly voting out of loyalty and/or inbuilt fear of the evil of the labour party rather than any positive feelings about the tories. Not sure about complacency - agasint that their is the motivation of hurting the tories and ever better organsied tactical voting.
There are over a dozen polling companies doing several polls a week using a wide range of methodology and all of them are predicting a tory meltdown - its just a question of weather its as bad as 1997 or even worse - sorry - L meant even better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom