Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Political polling

Sadly, no. The real addiction isn't to carbon, its to capital. When you own all the lifeboats, you always think you can carry on doing the same, way beyond the tipping point. They won't stop because there's no short term rationale in stopping.

Cheer up. Kate;s back in public view. The people are now happy and content.

Sorry. Was lost deep in an extended metaphor!

I’m just of the opinion that

a) it is possible with the technology we have now to arrest the climate catastrophe. Not fix, but stop it getting worse.

but

b) the political will to do enough towards the above is not there.

and

c) won’t be there until the catastrophe is bad enough to harm the pockets of the vested interests (more than taking sufficient action would).

In other words, in the meantime all that will be done is “the maximum that [governments] can commit to within a cautious fiscal envelope, and without upsetting vested energy interests, including unions, too much”. Which is not enough. Not at this stage.
Overall I'd say you're spot on but with regards your point C, any eventual action on climate change from those with the power is more likely to be increased authoritarianism in order to control and suppress those at the sharp end of catastrophe and to manage decline and eventual extinctions. I'd like to be wrong but I don't feel very optimistic, certainly not without any mass resistance on the horizon and it feels like we're moving further away from that year by year :(

Almost exactly the same as their last opinion poll (Redfield & Wilton Strategies) the only difference is the Reform support has gone up by 1%. There is a psychological thing that happens when crossover is reached and we may see the reform vote escalate upwards and the Conservative Party vote may be collapsing even more

Last edited:
Almost exactly the same as their (Redfield & Wilton Strategies) last opinion poll the only difference is the Reform support has gone up by 1%. There is a psychological thing that happens when crossover is reached and we may see the reform vote escalate upwards and the Conservative Party vote may be collapsing even more
Also a danger those voting for Labour because they want a ‘change’ see Farage’s lot as a vehicle for that instead.

Anthony King, during the 1997 general election programme on BBC One, described that year's exit poll as "an asteroid hitting the planet and destroying practically all life on earth"

We're heading into heat death of the universe territory with these recent polls.

Ipsos poll out tonight

Labour 453
Cons 115

They have Labour holding Islington North, and Farage gaining Clacton.

Back
Top Bottom