Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Political polling

The Labour share is dropping because some of their voters have now worked out exactly where they need to vote LD tactically to ensure an even greater Tory loss. Comparisons with 2017 are ridiculous.

The Labour share is dropping because some of their voters have now worked out exactly where they need to vote LD tactically to ensure an even greater Tory loss. Comparisons with 2017 are ridiculous.
It's very common, basic psephological analysis to compare parties' % of total vote over time; hardly ridiculous. For instance it's also fair to say that Shammer's present YG % is 5% higher than Corbyn's 2019 GE vote share. Perhaps the greatest difference between the 2017 and 2024 LP polling is that the former saw consistently rising polling, whereas, it appears that as the present campaign progresses, Shammer's polling appears to be falling.

20240613_211106.jpg

Something weird going on here eh. I mean there's Reform rising but Labour seem to be trending downwards week on week

Students of this era surely don’t associate the LDs with tuition fee treachery, do they?
It'll be interesting to see what happens with the connection between the LDs and tution fees. In British culture some connections stick and others fade - Thatcher with milk, Blair and Iraq, Clegg with tuition fees, Major's cone hotline....

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the connection between the LDs and tution fees. In British culture some connections stick and others fade - Thatcher with milk, Blair and Iraq, Clegg with tuition fees, Major's cone hotline....

I always think of the LDs as dog killers, personally, but the youth of today probably just associate them with watersports now.

View attachment 428826

Something weird going on here eh. I mean there's Reform rising but Labour seem to be trending downwards week on week
you gov changed their methodology after 27 june which produced a lower labour figure. But quite a few polls since have shown a drop in labour votes share - seemingly to the benefit of the lib dems - although refuk might be taking a bite as well.

I mean, I hate the Tories as much as the next good Urbanite, but to me this is terrifying.

We are, potentially, one term of a weak Labour administration away from a fascist government.
This is perhaps where the state "apparatus" might actually come in handy (what did Liz say about shadowy forces?). One thing our corridors of power are quite good at is keeping certain possibilities at bay. It's notable, to me at least, how immune this country has been from toppling of the Royals, let alone the takeover of government by actual fascists. Hardliners, yes, beyond that, no.

(And this sounds conspiracy & adjacent, I know, though maybe pro-State rather than the usual anti-)

This is perhaps where the state "apparatus" might actually come in handy (what did Liz say about shadowy forces?). One thing our corridors of power are quite good at is keeping certain possibilities at bay. It's notable, to me at least, how immune this country has been from toppling of the Royals, let alone the takeover of government by actual fascists. Hardliners, yes, beyond that, no.
You mean like a sort of reverse 'A Very British Coup'?

One problem (generally, not with what you're saying) is that a huge number of people don't see Reform UK as fascist.

I mean, I hate the Tories as much as the next good Urbanite, but to me this is terrifying.

We are, potentially, one term of a weak Labour administration away from a fascist government.
there is a peak number of people prepared to vote Reform
likewise there is a rock bottom for Tories
ideally this split vote we see now is the order of things for a good while
im not convinced reform can go that much further up than this - the more we see of the state of the party, random dreg bigots scraped from every dark corner, the sooner the cap on their vote is reached

there is a peak number of people prepared to vote Reform
likewise there is a rock bottom for Tories
ideally this split vote we see now is the order of things for a good while
im not convinced reform can go that much further up than this - the more we see of the state of the party, random dreg bigots scraped from every dark corner, the sooner the cap on their vote is reached
I would love to think that is true. Hopefully it will be.

But sadly I am not sure that random dreg bigots (we should adopt that term on here, maybe abbreviate it to RDBs? :D) bother a lot of people that much. I mean look at what a grifter Farage is, and he's hugely popular in many circles, who believe he talks common sense, speaks for the working man and is someone you'd have a pint with.

But sadly I am not sure that random dreg bigots (we should adopt that term on here, maybe abbreviate it to RDBs? :D) bother a lot of people that much. I mean look at what a grifter Farage is, and he's hugely popular in many circles, who believe he talks common sense, speaks for the working man and is someone you'd have a pint with.
He's a joker, that's all. No one would seriously want him running things. On the debate thing tonight, he was acting like he was on a panel show, rather than a genuine politician, trying to get elected.

He was elected to the EU Parliament and spent all his time there disrupting things, but that was fine because he was elected to be a spoiler of a foreign system.

But putting him in charge of mortgages, nukes and hospitals? Nah, I don't think there's anywhere near enough people in the UK who can tolerate him for that to happen.

He's a joker, that's all. No one would seriously want him running things. On the debate thing tonight, he was acting like he was on a panel show, rather than a genuine politician, trying to get elected.

He was elected to the EU Parliament and spent all his time there disrupting things, but that was fine because he was elected to be a spoiler of a foreign system.

But putting him in charge of mortgages, nukes and hospitals? Nah, I don't think there's anywhere near enough people in the UK who can tolerate him for that to happen.
I hope you're also right.

However, I think there are a large number of people who would want to see him running things, unfortunately.

Ska's right. UKIP/Brexit Party/Reform have been/are successful on in terms of the past electoral performance of hard right parties but they are extremely unpopular overall. Same as with the populist right in across most of Western Europe - there is a ceiling on the support for the populist right.

Which is not to underestimate or downplay the harm they can cause, the Tories and Labour chasing their coat tails is going to cause real hurt to people. But it is worth remembering that a significant majority reject the populist right. The challenge is building a politics that not only rejects their politics but creates a real alternative to it - that is harder.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom