Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Political polling

There’d be no own goals about looking scruffy / national anthem / the Queen etc as Burnham is a bit too street-smart for that.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of those issues, it just gives the right wing media a free hit, as it did with Corbyn.

He should probably avoid eating bacon sandwiches in public just in case though

There’d be no own goals about looking scruffy / national anthem / the Queen etc as Burnham is a bit too street-smart for that.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of those issues, it just gives the right wing media a free hit, as it did with Corbyn.

He should probably avoid eating bacon sandwiches in public just in case though
I know what you mean, but wouldn't it be better if Labour leaders were just honest about things? Didn't pretend to listen to her maj on Christmas Day, didn't ponce around at ceremonies in Westminster Abbey, didn't sing the crappiest national anthem in the western world, didn't bow and scrape before our betters. You never know, just being honest might work once people got used to it.

I know what you mean, but wouldn't it be better if Labour leaders were just honest about things? Didn't pretend to listen to her maj on Christmas Day, didn't ponce around at ceremonies in Westminster Abbey, didn't sing the crappiest national anthem in the western world, didn't bow and scrape before our betters. You never know, just being honest might work once people got used to it.

They are being honest, they admire such traditions as do many Labour voters. Even Corbyn secretly enjoyed the power and privilege of being on the Privy Council.

as ever, would be interested to know what percentage don't know / won't vote / sod the lot of them (or any combination thereof) is getting.

gut feeling is it's probably higher than usual at the moment...

as ever, would be interested to know what percentage don't know / won't vote / sod the lot of them (or any combination thereof) is getting.

gut feeling is it's probably higher than usual at the moment...
posted this over in the Starmer thread...certainly a growing d/k brigade...

I feel like the British public will vote for whoever will cost them the least in tax. As a whole we want Scandinavian quality public services but we don’t want to pay for them.

This extra money for social care is sorely needed and was needed decades ago but given the government has no problem spunking money on wars, aircraft carriers, test and trace fiasco… you can see why May dropped it from the manifesto, electoral poison.

I feel like the British public will vote for whoever will cost them the least in tax. As a whole we want Scandinavian quality public services but we don’t want to pay for them.

I think that’s very debatable. Firstly, I think a range of taxes - specifically on unearned income - would be very very popular politically now.

In that vein, the onus is on our side to keep making the point that the dividing line on stuff like social care isn’t generational it’s one of wealth/class.

Secondly, I think people would be prepared to pay more tax - if it was built in and explicitly presented as part of a wider programme of investment, borrowing, regeneration, millions of new jobs, tax justice via a tax on tech and other tax dodgers and so on.

Given the long standing reality that ‘only the little people pay tax’ - directly at source via deductions from pay - but the rich don’t, you can’t really blame anyone for politically objecting to paying more under the current arrangements.

Last edited:
FWIW polling has 'too little' taxation & spending consistently above 'too much'. The idea that pushing increased taxation and spending is "electoral poison" is a bizarre position when Labour's relative success in 2017 was to a large extent based on such a position (likewise a key part of the Tory success in 2019 was neutralising Labour's argument by committing to public spending). Moreover, the tracker shows that increasing taxation was most popular around the 2019 election.

Interpreting opposition to a regressive flat tax as opposition to greater taxation and public spending is wrongheaded. I mean was the opposition to the poll tax opposition to higher tax?

Last edited:
They’re obviously doing something to attract Lib Dem and green voters, if you accept the simplistic way these polls are normally interpreted by the press.

Back
Top Bottom