Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Political polling

YouGov did change their methodology for their final poll though, which would have suppressed the Labour VI. I'd have to see the tables to see how much.
They allocated don't knows this time, apparently.

(Not seen the tables myself: repeating a report).

I knew this would happen. I got my hopes up and the universe is punishing me for it. We all need to start thinking really pessimistically so as to balance out the Karma. Come on everyone, just think about how terrible the result will be. We can do this. We can do it!
We can't do it! We're hopeless!

"YouGov’s final call for the 2017 election is for a seven point Conservative lead, leading to an increased Conservative majority in the Commons."

So. Maybe an early night tomorrow after all.

Bah. Not really after all... I think it was there in the back of all our minds.

Though there's still that bloody temporarily indestructible egg of hope. Why? Just let me sulk in peace egg of hope, you know your shell will be broken.

Most likely we'll see the sort of result predicted before the election campaign. Twenty point Tory lead anyone? Probably. :(

Naah, we have to get the vote out because worse case scenario is fucking dreamland from a month ago, and has at least got policies and ideas on the table that would have been unthinkable not long ago. C'mon, we've got more fight in us than that, no?

William of Walworth
From the YouGov blog:

"we have reallocated those respondents who say don’t know, but who also say they are very likely to vote (voters who my colleague Adam McDonnell described earlier in the campaign as “true undecided”). We assume uncertain voters who say they “don’t know” at this stage won’t actually vote, but those who say they are 8+/10 certain to vote we have reallocated back to the party they voted for in 2015"

YouGov | Final call poll: Tories lead by seven points and set to increase majority

However the polls go, it's always worth remembering that the vast majority of Britons do what the papers/media (ie a few billionaires) tell them to. It's almost always been that way, except for a few exceptional occasions (eg 1945). So don't expect them to suddenly wake up and realise they're turkeys voting for Christmas - they just don't see it.

William of Walworth
From the YouGov blog:

"we have reallocated those respondents who say don’t know, but who also say they are very likely to vote (voters who my colleague Adam McDonnell described earlier in the campaign as “true undecided”). We assume uncertain voters who say they “don’t know” at this stage won’t actually vote, but those who say they are 8+/10 certain to vote we have reallocated back to the party they voted for in 2015"

YouGov | Final call poll: Tories lead by seven points and set to increase majority

Thanks for that -- it explains the 'how' they re-allocate, but what about 'why' have they decided to make that change? Are not their assumptions in doing so open to question? I haven't the foggiest ...

YouGov are probably concerned that their experimental model shows Labour doing well (a big risk), yet their regular poll is also effectively an outlier. Bringing the regular poll lead in line with the average (herding) gives them a boot in both camps.

Thanks for that -- it explains the 'how' they re-allocate, but what about 'why' have they decided to make that change? Are not their assumptions in doing so open to question? I haven't the foggiest ...

I think the orthodox thing is to split the DKs according to the general split, so that they don't have any skewing effect. Apparently, that's what almost always happens in actual elections.

Overall the Tory poll lead hasn't really shifted at all over the last week (mostly MOE stuff). We still have IPSOS poll in the morning to come.

IIRC YouGov traditionally don't generally split the DKs but they have done for other pre-election polls

The reasoning being that they generally aren't trying to sample "How people would vote in a GE" but "what party do you most support", but as a pre-election poll will be read as the former anyway they do split the DKs for those.

FWIW in the extremely unlikely event that youth turnout matched 1992 levels, Labour would probably win outright. I don't honestly anticipate them (youth turnout) bettering 2015 levels though.

We don't believed Trump win, we surprised UK voted out European Union as well Scottish referendum. I hope polls are wrong.

Back
Top Bottom