Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Political polling

Here are the Lib Dem's top results in 2015. Beyond this, they are too far behind except Southport where they won in 2015 on a Tory/UKIP split vote:

Capture.PNG

Anything where UKIP + Tory is bigger than Lib Dem must surely be forfeit. So that's Southport, Norfolk North and Carshalton gone to the Tories, dropping them to 5. They've picked up Richmond park in a bizarre by-election that was 58% Tory, 19% Lib Dem in 2015, so 6 seats and proof that you CAN get big swings sometimes. I still find it surprising to think they could double that, though, based on their clear struggle in this campaign and the above demonstration of their lack of safe seats and their vulnerability to a Labour surge across a number of their targets.

Anyone know why YouGov might be predicting a win for the Lib Dems in Bath, for example? They lost to the Tories by 38 to 30 in 2015, with UKIP taking another 6. YouGov have them winning by an estimated 44 to 34. All the extra Lib Dem votes seem to be coming from the Greens -- have the Greens stood aside or something?

Anyone know why YouGov might be predicting a win for the Lib Dems in Bath, for example? They lost to the Tories by 38 to 30 in 2015, with UKIP taking another 6. YouGov have them winning by an estimated 44 to 34. All the extra Lib Dem votes seem to be coming from the Greens -- have the Greens stood aside or something?

Fairly strong remain vote + the Tory was investigated by the police over a sexual assault allegation (no charges). Not speaking for YouGov obvs, but those are going to be factors. The Green candidate seems to be standing.

Fairly strong remain vote + the Tory was investigated by the police over a sexual assault allegation (no charges). Not speaking for YouGov obvs, but those are going to be factors. The Green candidate seems to be standing.
The prediction doesn't have much of a Tory drop though -- 38 to 34. It's Green -10 and Lib Dem +14 that is doing it.

Target is 324 (assuming 3 or 4 SF seats), and the Tory supporting unionists are unlikely to win 11.
Sinn Fein never take their place at Westminster though, which is why the target is normally given as 322.

I suppose it isn't impossible that if they saw that the UUP would be kingmakers, they might turn up to block that.

Sinn Fein never take their place at Westminster though, which is why the target is normally given as 322.

I suppose it isn't impossible that if they saw that the UUP would be kingmakers, they might turn up to block that.
I know they don't. The target is usually given as 326, not 322. Removing four MPs drops it down to 324, or 323 since the speaker actually stood as Speaker last time.

Surely that would never happen? That would mean recognizing the sovereignty of the British Parliament. I know the GF agreement kind of did that anyway but still....

I know they don't. The target is usually given as 326, not 322. Removing four MPs drops it down to 324.
Good point.

Although since there are 650 MPs and one of them is the speaker, should the target not ACTUALLY be 325? But take off four SF and the speaker and you get to 645, meaning the target would be 323.

Surely that would never happen? That would mean recognizing the sovereignty of the British Parliament. I know the GF agreement kind of did that anyway but still....
We live in a world where anything is possible, my friend.

tdy_jackson_trump_161117.nbcnews-ux-1080-600.jpg

Target is 324 (assuming 3 or 4 SF seats), and the Tory supporting unionists are unlikely to win 11.

You have to take into account the speaker's seat as well. Based on 3 SF, that would be 323. And there are currently 11 unionists (8 DUP, 2 UUP, 1 independent).

You have to take into account the speaker's seat as well. Based on 3 SF, that would be 323. And there are currently 11 unionists (8 DUP, 2 UUP, 1 independent).
The independent doesn't vote with the tories. The uup are unreliable too.

Good point.

Although since there are 650 MPs and one of them is the speaker, should the target not ACTUALLY be 325? But take off four SF and the speaker and you get to 645, meaning the target would be 323.
The Speaker isn't always an incumbent. Therefore 326 is traditionally used as if each 'side' for 325, they'd both be desperately fighting against one of theirs becoming Speaker.

Bath was originally supposed to be a Green target seat, but I've seen nothing about it since the election started. I suspect they've all gone to support the Bristol West campaign but don't think they've actually stood down.

Summary of different predictions from the Guardian feed (I'm not sticking it in quotes as you'll have that silly thing were it won't all fit)

==========================================================

15 Election result predictions

As this interview with Prof John Curtice, the BBC’s elections expert and the mastermind behind the exit poll, reveals, by this time tomorrow afternoon - well before the polls have closed - Curtice will probably know the election result.

Unfortunately he won’t be telling me.

But, as the next best thing, here is a round-up of 15 of the most compelling election forecasts around. They range from a hung parliament to a Conservative majority of 122. At the start of the campaign, before the Tory social care U-turn and the Jeremy Corbyn surge, the figure at the top would have been even higher.

On the assumption that reporters are generally best sticking to reporting, and that when they get into the prediction business, they often get it wrong, I won’t be offering my own. So you will just have to stick with these. But reader predictions are, of course, more than welcome BTL.

Hung parliament - the YouGov model

This is the most recent forecast (from yesterday) from the YouGov model, a forecasting model devised using multilevel regression and post-stratification (MRP). This involves taking polling data and, using data about the demographic composition of constituencies, and how different demographics vote, developing a seat-by-seat forecast. The Conservatives (304) would have the most seats, but even with Northern Ireland unionists (around 10) they could be outvoted by a coalition of Labour (266), the SNP (46), the Lib Dems (12) and the Greens (1).

640.jpg

YouGov model. Photograph: YouGov

Conservative majority of 22 - electionpolling.co.uk forecast

This is the most recent forecast on electionpolling.co.uk, based on what would happen on the basis of the swing implied by the most recent polls.

Conservative majority of 28 - New Statesman

This is the majority implied by the seat forecasts in the New Statesman’s model, which takes the latest polling figures and produces a forecast using the RegVar forecasting model.

Conservative majority of around 40 - Peter Kellner’s prediction

This is the prediction that Peter Kellner, the leading pollster and former YouGov president, set out in an Evening Standard column yesterday.

Conservative majority of 48 - Local election projection

This is the forecast that Sky New elections expert Prof Michael Thrasher produced straight after the local elections, judging what would happen in a general election based on voting in the locals. It does not take into account developments since the campaign started.

Conservative majority of 52 - Projection based on Opinium’s final poll

Opinium’s final poll suggests the Tories are on 43%, Labour 36%, the Lib Dems 8% and Ukip 5%, and Electoral Calculus says this would give the Tories a majority of 52.

Conservative majority of 58 - Projection based on “poll of polls” in Guardian poll tracker

The Guardian’s poll tracker currently has the Tories on 44%, Labour on 36%, the Lib Dems on 8%, Ukip on 4% and the Greens on 2%, and Electoral Calculus says this would give the Tories a majority of 58.

Conservative majority of 64 - the Ashcroft Model

This is the central forecast of the Ashcroft Model, a forecasting model devised by Lord Ashcroft also using MRP. But his forecast is different from YouGov’s.

The Conservatives remain on course to win a majority in the general election, according to new figures from the Ashcroft Model. Our “combined probabilistic model”, which calculates the sum of each party’s win chances in all the seats in which it is standing, estimates 357 Tory seats, or a potential majority of 64 (up four from the previous update published last Friday). However, this central estimate, based on an update survey conducted over the weekend, combines the data from three different turnout scenarios: including all those who currently say they will vote on Thursday (giving a Conservative majority of 70); including all those who say they voted in the EU referendum (a Conservative majority of 48); and assuming turnout matches that of the 2015 election (a Conservative majority of 78).

965.jpg

Ashcroft model. Photograph: Lord Ashcroft/Ashcroft model forecast

Conservative majority of 71 - Elections Etc combined forecast

Elections Etc is an elections website run by Stephen Fisher, an Oxford academic who is part of the team working on the BBC/Sky/ITV exit poll. The combined forecast is a forecast that produces an average of all forecasts available based on a system: using polling, and forecasting models; betting trends; and wisdom-of-the-crowd exercises. Here are their most recent figures, from five days ago.

522.jpg

Combined forecast for election. Photograph: Elections Etc

Conservative majority of 72 - Electoral Calculus forecast

This is the current forecast on the Electoral Calculus website, which is calculated using an average of recent polls.

Conservative majority of 75 to 99 - Betfair’s central forecast

According to figures from the bookmakers Betfair today, the Tories winning a majority of 75 to 99 is their most popular option with punters. Their odds on this are 5/1.

Conservative majority of 84 - Projection based on latest Guardian/ICM poll

The latest Guardian/ICM poll has the Tories on 45%, Labour 34%, the Lib Dems 8%, Ukip 5% and the Greens 3%, which Electoral Calculus says would give the Tories a majority of 84. A final Guardian/ICM poll is due out tomorrow.

Conservative majority of 100 - the electionforecast.co.uk model

This is a model run by Chris Hanretty at the University of East Anglia, using polling data but adjusting for trends in voting behaviour. Its most recent forecast has the Tories getting 375 seats.

Conservative majority of 105 - Nigel Marriott’s prediction

This is the prediction from the statistician Nigel Marriott, who explains his methodology here.

Conservative majority of 122 - Iain Dale’s prediction

This is the prediction from Iain Dale, the broadcaster, publisher and onetime chief of staff to David Davis. On his blog he has made predictions for every seat in the country.

Back
Top Bottom