Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Political polling

Interesting blog from John Curtice suggesting Scottish Labour is benefitting from the Corbyn effect. His title is well-chosen: it's an overflow effect, not something locally generated.

There's a number of reasons we know this is overspill, but chiefly: 1. there really is no Labour campaign in Scotland, as the party activist base is completely demoralised. 2. The party in Scotland is anti Corbyn anyway. (Their sole MP has been vocally anti Corbyn, and has, for example, left previous anti Corbyn remarks up on his social media even through the election campaign). 3. As Curtice notes, it is Corbyn's stance and policies that people cite, rather than Dugdale's or the Scottish party's performance.

The Labour Surge Washes Over Hadrian's Wall - What Scotland Thinks

It's perhaps worth noting that the old guard of stale dinosaurs were wiped out at the last GE and none is standing this time. (Though Blair MacDougall, the Better Togethet chief, is standing. But his recognition rating is probably nowhere near what he thinks it is). Perhaps the voters think the clean out was enough to rehabilitate the party.

It's a notable observation regardless, but it holds for the weighted base as well.

It shows that many UKIP voters are going Labour.
Polling asking that specific question also shows that - about half as many as are going Tory. Where those voters are is a fairly key question...

I just have a nagging feeling that this is exactly what will go down. Impressive increase in vote share for Labour considering it's only been two years since the last election. But the vast swathes of UKIP voters going Tory will fuck Labour badly & give the Tories a landslide. :(
Yeah, I feel like the Ancient Mariner, forever compelled to be the voice of doom, but I can't see a way to even a hung parliament. For it to be anything other than a tory majority, several things that don't normally happen have to happen. In a period of mad volatility* in the polls, the fact that there hasn't been a single Labour lead is also telling. It's interesting how Labour's numbers haven't suffered too much after the terrorist outrages, but Labour haven't quite managed to become the vehicle for the resentments that drove Brexit. They've done well and provided the basis for something to be built in the future, but I just have a feeling it will be a 10%, even 12% tory lead on Thursday.

* Well, a kind of volatility. Massive differences between polling companies, but a clear direction of travel towards Labour - but one which seems to have stopped now.

It's a notable observation regardless, but it holds for the weighted base as well.

It shows that many UKIP voters are going Labour.
Yep, Matthew Goodwin's work with ICM polling data has been useful on this and started to show a trend of increasing fall-out to Lab.

upload_2017-6-6_14-24-41.png

Reactions: Ole
Yeah, I agree with that. But not as polarised as implied by that political compass-style map, with literally nobody other than at the poles. The majority of people in my own personal bubble are still as middle-ground wishy-washy liberal as they ever were.
It says it's reflecting the mean views of each party's supporters, so presumably there will be some percentages of support around those coloured areas as well.

Still think Labour should be pushing a 'Take back control' theme aimed at UKIP demographic - reclaiming our railways and post office. It's a policy with a lot of support. Unfortunately I think a lot of the domestic policy issues have been crowded out by terrorism and security, which I think is to Labour's disadvantage.

Still think Labour should be pushing a 'Take back control' theme aimed at UKIP demographic - reclaiming our railways and post office. It's a policy with a lot of support. Unfortunately I think a lot of the domestic policy issues have been crowded out by terrorism and security, which I think is to Labour's disadvantage.
Yep, sounds good, a way of genuinely making brexit into something useful. On your other point, I think Labour have been hit by the terror stuff, but nobody seems to have got any particular theme running consistently throughout the election - even brexit for the tories, which is what the whole things was supposed to be about.

I'm not sure if using a campaign slogan from a recent political campaign you were on the wrong side of is really the most sensible idea tbh.

1st draft: 'Brexit, it's the future'
2nd draft: 'Nationalisation, it's the future'
3rd draft: 'Garlic Bread, it's the future'

Yeah, I feel like the Ancient Mariner, forever compelled to be the voice of doom, but I can't see a way to even a hung parliament. For it to be anything other than a tory majority, several things that don't normally happen have to happen. In a period of mad volatility* in the polls, the fact that there hasn't been a single Labour lead is also telling. It's interesting how Labour's numbers haven't suffered too much after the terrorist outrages, but Labour haven't quite managed to become the vehicle for the resentments that drove Brexit. They've done well and provided the basis for something to be built in the future, but I just have a feeling it will be a 10%, even 12% tory lead on Thursday.

* Well, a kind of volatility. Massive differences between polling companies, but a clear direction of travel towards Labour - but one which seems to have stopped now.

Just one point.

Labour don't have to be in the lead for the Tories to lose their majority.

Just one point.

Yeah, true, but I was just getting at the fact that even amidst the very wide variations in the polls Labour has never managed even a 1% lead. As a result, it doesn't bode well for them just losing by say 2% which, at a guess, is the territory they'd have to be in for a Lab + SNP + libscum to be anywhere near the finishing line.

I'm not too sure how much this still holds, but the old truism used to be that a party getting over 40% does very well out of the fpp system. A logic that we are probably back to as ukip and libs fall back. As such the tories polling over 40 is the real problem. Con 42 Lab 39 is far worse than Con 36 Lab 33, iyswim.

Just one point.

Theoretically, Labour doesn't even need more votes in order to have more seats. In 1951, Churchill won more seats than Labour with fewer votes.

It's more likely that the Tories would perform this feat. But there are ways it could happen.

Theoretically, Labour doesn't even need more votes in order to have more seats. In 1951, Churchill won more seats than Labour with fewer votes.

It's more likely that the Tories would perform this feat. But there are ways it could happen.
And Feb 74, though the other way round.

Back
Top Bottom