Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Political polling

What concerns me about the change in methodology is the impact it has on how people actually vote. If a party is way behind in the polls it affects morale and there's the phenomenon of people wanting to back a winner. In trying to reflect what the result will end up being rather than how people in general feel about the two parties (whether they actually vote or not) the polls could significantly affect voting behaviour. It is a bit of an ethical minefield.

You may know it already, but this effect was (and perhaps still is) a campaign tactic, especially in by elections. You go into a constituency you want to win and think you can win, but currently have little hope of winning, and dump a serious bunch of money at the bookies on your party winning. The bookies then think something is up and shorten the odds on you winning, even to the point of making you the favourite. You then put 'bookies favourite' all over your leaflets during the campaign, and people vote for you thinking you can actually win. When you do win, the bunch of money you put on at long odds pays for a large part of your campaign expenditure.

The yougov model has the tories losing even more seats today. Death or Glory.
The daily movements are well within their 95% confidence interval, though, which is HUGE.

Basically, if the YouGov guess is somewhere between 266 and 344 for the Tories, they say there is a 95% chance it then contains the actual polling result. But that's massive! 344 would be an increase on their current majority, albeit a fairly shit one, and be kind of in line with everybody else's polling. 266, on the other hand, would make Labour the largest party. What do we conclude? Nobody has a farking clue, is what.

17-52 for the SNP. That's everything from near domination down to being the minority!

No wai? :eek:

I'm on principle ordering myself to disbelieve this, because it's not the hope that kills you, it's the subsequent despair :( :(

In 2015 it was an overestimation of the youth vote that was mostly responsible for the borked polls. Surely they won't still be overestimating them this time around? The others clearly aren't, but are they weighting it too far in the opposite direction? Or just about right?

We need a young adult child catcher to round 'em all up on Thursday and take them to their polling stations.

After the last election and Brexit predictions all these companies must be shitting themselves about this result.

National seat polling doesn't look anywhere near as exciting as the voting intention polls. They're all on 50+ seat majorities for the tories apart from yougov which has tories 21 short of a majority.

No idea about methodology etc.

As usual a lot will come down to the marginals. That's where it's always at. Just hope labour are doing their best there.

Not polling as such, but polling derived.
Given the usual caveats about this 'political compass'-style methodology....the 'ideological' mapping of support in 2015 and 2017.

View attachment 108577

View attachment 108578
That's very interesting but it does imply the non-existence of voters that are at least within the area defined by (0.2, 0.2), (0.2, 0.5), (0.6, 0.8) and (0.6, 0.6). This is literally the middle ground (it encompasses (0.5, 0.5)) that we are normally told contains MOST of the voters! So what is going on? Has the whole country become totally polarised, or are the LSE's measurements a load of bollocks? Or something else?

That's very interesting but it does imply the non-existence of voters that are at least within the area defined by (0.2, 0.2), (0.2, 0.5), (0.6, 0.8) and (0.6, 0.6). This is literally the middle ground (it encompasses (0.5, 0.5)) that we are normally told contains MOST of the voters! So what is going on? Has the whole country become totally polarised, or are the LSE's measurements a load of bollocks? Or something else?

As I mentioned somewhere it's certainly feeling more polarised to me.

As I mentioned somewhere it's certainly feeling more polarised to me.
Yeah, I agree with that. But not as polarised as implied by that political compass-style map, with literally nobody other than at the poles. The majority of people in my own personal bubble are still as middle-ground wishy-washy liberal as they ever were.

ICM/Guardian poll released yesterday.

CON 45%(nc)
LAB 34%(nc)
LDEM 8%(-1)
UKIP 5%(nc)

I just have a nagging feeling that this is exactly what will go down. Impressive increase in vote share for Labour considering it's only been two years since the last election. But the vast swathes of UKIP voters going Tory will fuck Labour badly & give the Tories a landslide. :(

If you look at the unweighted base for that survey 658 say they will vote Labour compared to 641 Tories, while 569 voted Conservative last time as against 547 voting Labour.

Back
Top Bottom