Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Political polling

Honestly not just Lib Dems, just posh smug centrists who have swallowed a slew of 'fake news'.
Yeah, but the reason that the vermin with their ultra-neolib policies are polling at 'core +' is that formerly non-tory voters have bought May's myth of her Brexit and privileged that above material considerations of their own interest.

Apologies for any party pooping here...but...

Summary of Con leads tonight ComRes +12 ICM +11 ORB +9 Opinium +6 Survation +1

(YouGov +4)

But the Survation one (which showed the gap closing by 11 points in the last week) was the only one conducted after Question Time. Could there be a causal link? Who knows, but I'd say it counts as a cliffhanger.

(YouGov +4)

But the Survation one (which showed the gap closing by 11 points in the last week) was the only one conducted after Question Time. Could there be a causal link? Who knows, but I'd say it counts as a cliffhanger.
Whatever is going on in the polls I doubt QT had much effect. May came across as a smug shit but it was at best a points victory for corbyn.

Whatever is going on in the polls I doubt QT had much effect. May came across as a smug shit but it was at best a points victory for corbyn.

I didn't think so, even with his lukewarm attitude to nuclear holocaust, I think he wiped the floor with her, and she with herself. I'll admit that your take seems to be reflected more in the responses to the debate I have seen. But apparently 76% of people in the survey watched either the debate or highlights, so I don't think we can be quick to dismiss the potential for it to have had an impact.

Honestly not just Lib Dems, just posh smug centrists who have swallowed a slew of 'fake news'.

Yep, I have a couple of relatives and acquaintances of this ilk... People who actually are Blairites. Some just supporters, some who were members. The key thing with them at the moment is bitterness and vindictiveness. It would take a hell of a lot to swing them to Corbyn.

Yep, I have a couple of relatives and acquaintances of this ilk... People who actually are Blairites. Some just supporters, some who were members. The key thing with them at the moment is bitterness and vindictiveness. It would take a hell of a lot to swing them to Corbyn.

The sort of people who ask to speak to your manager because they got a hair in their soup.

My mum is a Remainer liberal. upset about brexit and she doesn't like Corbyn... But she is voting for him because she hates theresa may so much.

Once you've seen 4 or 5 elections where it seems obvious the tories should lose.. But they win, then you can't help but assume that this one will revert to type.

This is the reverse, though. The polls are saying that the Tories should win.

Do you know what they intend to do? Vote LD/Green, just not bother or are they actually going to vote Con?

I'm starting to think that it could be worth ringing in sick on Friday so that I can stay up...

Are there any high-profile cunts other than Clegg who could lose their seats if it all goes tits up for the former condems? Our own Woodcock is going no question, and given his status as one of Jezza's key detractors NW Tonite will likely send a crew along to Barrow town hall. Anyone else? Rudd has a small majority, but the bookies don't think so

I'm starting to think that it could be worth ringing in sick on Friday so that I can stay up...

Are there any high-profile cunts other than Clegg who could lose their seats if it all goes tits up for the former condems? Our own Woodcock is going no question, and given his status as one of Jezza's key detractors NW Tonite will likely send a crew along to Barrow town hall. Anyone else? Rudd has a small majority, but the bookies don't think so
At the peak of Tory polling some people were mentioning Farron, didn't think it was on the cards myself

It's a pseud thing I think; I buy the economist whenever I get the train/plane, I buy the FT/Times (and the graun) because I'm an economically active member of society and intellectually engaged with the real, pragmatic side of politics. I deeply admire David Aaronovitch.

The Graun's support of labour might push them a bit, but pushing against a deep-seated sense of entitlement and superiority.

Re: Survation poll:

I can't be bothered digging into it, but those figures for people having seen the debate sound very unlikely, even if it includes youtubers, highlights and the rest. That's Morecambe and Wise Show Christmas Special circa 1976 level. :hmm:

I've been emailed what appears to be an internal document from a city firm outlining why they should expect a significant Tory majority come Friday despite the polls. I'll sanitize the key extracts at work on Monday.

"I'm not fucking coming in you cunt,the workers have taken over under and you'll first up against the wall anyway.... what, it was only an exit poll?.... and, what, Tories got a majority of 50?.... yeah, I'll be straight in"

I've been emailed what appears to be an internal document from a city firm outlining why they should expect a significant Tory majority come Friday despite the polls. I'll sanitize the key extracts at work on Monday.

If it was anything other than this we'd see something happening on the financial markets. Big capital will have its own polling and analysis.

What are the betting markets up to?

If it was anything other than this we'd see something happening on the financial markets. Big capital will have its own polling and analysis.

What are the betting markets up to?
I used to trust betting markets but they got the last few polling upsets just as wrong as the polls... they don't have secret access to anything more accurate than we do.

Polls seem to be diverging even more. Latest ones with tory lead as low as 1 percentage point (Survation, today) and as high as 12 (ComRes, ended yesterday). Have the polls ever diverged this much? And have there ever been so many polling companies? I don't remember there being this many.

Polls seem to be diverging even more. Latest ones with tory lead as low as 1 percentage point (Survation, today) and as high as 12 (ComRes, ended yesterday). Have the polls ever diverged this much? And have there ever been so many polling companies? I don't remember there being this many.

They're less divergent than it seems, because, although no two companies are using exactly the same methodology, you can put them into two groups, based on how likely they think it is that younger people will vote. The ones that are assuming turnout patterns similar to 2015 are giving the Tories a lead that is still in double figures. Others that think turnout will be more like 2010, when more younger people voted, are giving a narrower lead.

Back
Top Bottom