Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Police officer shot dead in Croydon police custody centre, 25th Sept 2020

:D

My surprise is that it's not normal to commute from here to London, due to the time (3 hour round trip if you are lucky) & expense involved, for someone on a cop's wages to do that on a daily basis for some six years is a bit odd TBH.

Plod only work a few shifts each week, no 5 x a week 9-5 for them.

My surprise is that it's not normal to commute from here to London, due to the time (3 hour round trip if you are lucky) & expense involved, for someone on a cop's wages to do that on a daily basis for some six years is a bit odd TBH.

Croydon isn't really London it's in Surrisex like you are. And isn't it fairly normal for police to live well away from those they're likely to manhandle?

Croydon isn't really London it's in Surrisex like you are. And isn't it fairly normal for police to live well away from those they're likely to manhandle?

AA route planner says it's 1hr 15mins drive from Goring to Croydon, then you need to park somewhere (more expense) & get to the job, it takes slightly longer by train plus the time to get to & from the stations.

Without the somewhat regular problems on both the roads and rail, I'll stick with 3 hour round trip if you are lucky.

Reactions: tim
this was the other similarly implausible incident that immediately sprung to mind.

now if met handcuffs are like this
KelMet-Gelenkg.jpg

rather than the cuffs being linked by a small chain, does that affect ones ability to do whats been suggested happened?

ok so its been around 9 years since i've been nicked for anything

but it more like these

s-l500.jpg

doing anything much in them tends to be uncomfortable
more so if they lock them tight around the little boney bump in your wrist

Last edited:
It is! You don't really wanna be throwing Gary from next door but one in the back of your wagon

Reactions: tim
Unless you're kicking off then they normally take cuffs off once you hit the custody suite. Depending on what he was nicked for he may not have been thoroughly searched before being brought in, may even have hidden a very small gun up his Gary...

Guess we'll find out in time.

They should have suspected something when he flat-out yet politely refused to be seated.

Reactions: Ax^
On the topic of deaths at work, the BBC is reporting that a fisherman fell off his boat into the water and died last night, off the coast near Aberdeen.
Interestingly, though perhaps not surprisingly, it isn't on the BBC main news webpage, only the Scotland one.

Don't imagine there will be quite the same outpouring of public state sponsored grieving either.

Interestingly, though perhaps not surprisingly, it isn't on the BBC main news webpage, only the Scotland one.

Don't imagine there will be quite the same outpouring of public state sponsored grieving either.
Yes, it only came up when I was looking at the news for Scotland. Yesterday the story about the 'curfew bride' made the main BBC site, go figure...

ime you're searched on arrest and it's astonishing that this was missed in any pat-down search where they always - in my experience - check around the belt line

I was once arrested along with 8 other people and, at the station, 2 of us were left in a cell (not handcuffed) for about 20 mins with all coats and pocket contents intact before they strip searched us, confiscated belts, shoelaces, etc.
Gave us plenty of opportunity to get rid of any other contraband we had on us by chucking it out of the cell’s broken window. Pretty sloppy procedure - even by mid-1980s standards. 🙂

Last edited:
Yes, it only came up when I was looking at the news for Scotland. Yesterday the story about the 'curfew bride' made the main BBC site, go figure...
Years ago when the Aberdeen fishing fleet was far bigger than it is now, I would imagine this was a far more common occurrence.

My mum used to have a few stories about friends of her parents who had been lost in this way (her uncle worked as a pilot in Aberdeen harbour at one time).

Years ago when the Aberdeen fishing fleet was far bigger than it is now, I would imagine this was a far more common occurrence.

My mum used to have a few stories about friends of her parents who had been lost in this way (her uncle worked as a pilot in Aberdeen harbour at one time).
Most of the supertrawlers operate out of fraserburgh iirc these days. Aberdeen harbour is more offshore supply vessels and various other vessels, I think the smaller boats still come in.

A list tgatdoesn't go back to Robert Pee but just to 1900 and includes a lot of officers who collapsed and died after/during an arrest and one who was struck by a train while pursuing suspects. I'm currently on the platform of Shadwell station and can confirm that trains are big, noisy and quite difficult to overlook.

If I keeled over boarding vocabulary, I doubt that my colleagues would see me as having died in the line of duty.

And there are a couple of hundred names, at most on that list, not vast multiples of hundreds.

Don‘t think that’s a comprehensive list, this one reckons about 10-15 per year:

Police deaths: The officers killed in the line of duty The officers killed on duty

Article references this site which lists all of them:

tbh quite a few involve road accidents to/from work, heart attacks after work and so on which don’t really distinguish them from other occupations.

Last edited:
The last one before this killed in the line of duty was the one over Oxford way doing a traffic stop who got dragged behind the car and killed.

Don‘t think that’s a comprehensive list, this one reckons about 10-15 per year:

Article references this site which lists all of them:

tbh quite a few involve road accidents to/from work, heart attacks after work and so on which don’t really distinguish them from other occupations.
if i popped my clogs on the way home i don't think i'd expect to have my name enrolled on the librarians' roll of honour in the way i would if i died from an encyclopedia falling on my head at work

if i popped my clogs on the way home i don't think i'd expect to have my name enrolled on the librarians' roll of honour in the way i would if i died from an encyclopedia falling on my head at work
Some potential candidates for Darwin Awards in that roll of honour. One of my favourites is John Gammon, died of sunstroke a few days after he was assaulted making an arrest in 1904. I've been chuckling to myself for the last five minutes about that one.

Or Reuben Dickinson, died after falling off a ladder while cleaning the station windows in 1906.

E2A: George Leefe - stabbed in the face by an umbrella which was thrown at him :D

Some potential candidates for Darwin Awards in that roll of honour. One of my favourites is John Gammon, died of sunstroke a few days after he was assaulted making an arrest in 1904. I've been chuckling to myself for the last five minutes about that one.

Or Reuben Dickinson, died after falling off a ladder while cleaning the station windows in 1906.

E2A: George Leefe - stabbed in the face by an umbrella which was thrown at him :D
Sympathies to the dead men's families of course!

I was watching the Louis Theroux best of programme when I noted he met a con in prison whose hands were cuffed behind his back. Louis made a quip about not being able to shake hands, and the con was able to pull his right hand over his right hip extending forwards to shake hands, stretching his left arm over his back.

Try it, you can probably touch your right hip with your left hand behind your back. With the chain on the cuffs there's plenty of room to use your right hand to shoot someone in front of you from the hip.

Especially if he had time to prepare, in a cell

I do solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm that I will well and truly serve the Queen in the office of constable, with fairness, integrity, diligence and impartiality, upholding fundamental human rights and according equal respect to all people; and that I will, to the best of my power, cause the peace to be kept and preserved and
prevent all offences against people and property*; and that while I continue to hold the said office I will to the best of my skill and knowledge discharge all the duties thereof faithfully according to law. If I should catch a bullet while so doing, well, them's the breaks.

*except those committed by the state, the rich, other filth, fox hunters, fascists, wives of septic diplomats, gangsters with mates on the force or Tony fucking Blair.

Police. The uniquely and uniformly horrid agents of state control, not like the nice fluffy agents of state control.

There is subsidized rail travel remember, which covers (with some exceptions) everything within 70 miles of London and which costs under a grand a year, and this is in addition to free travel on the underground and buses. A cops wages, and the cost of buying a home in London, make it much more likely they'll do that and accept the long commute rather than live close to work.

I had a friend who commuted from Folkstone daily, the ticket was, IIRC, over three grand, and that was thirty years ago.

Looks like the killer will not be charged, and avoid court.

A man accused of fatally shooting Metropolitan Police Sergeant Matt Ratana may never be charged as he is brain damaged and paralysed, it is claimed.

Prosecutors have reportedly told police that Louis De Zoysa, 23, will not be prosecuted unless his condition improves.

A legal source told the newspaper: '”He cannot even be arrested, never mind be charged and prosecuted.”

Former Metropolitan Police detective chief inspector Mick Nevill said: "The CPS will not charge him unless he goes on to make some kind of recovery, which sounds very unlikely."

Back
Top Bottom