Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pizza

There was a similar outfit operating out of a citroen van in Brixton station road market last saturday - pizzas looked very good but didn't have a chance to try one

i have bought the ingredients for pizza on saturday. as threatened a few weeks ago, i might do a hotdog stuffed crust. should i go to the polish deli and get some kabanos or suchlike to do the job instead though? :hmm:

ok, whaaaaat?

just kidding.
listen, this hot dog stuffed crust nonsense is just that - nonsense.
The idea of a hot dog baked inside dough = really good. In fact, they are lovely. They're called bagel dogs 'round here, and come out nice and chewy and wonderful.
However, there's no need to cross them with a pizza.
I suggest skipping the pizza part entirely and just doing the dogs in dough.

bagel+004.JPG

Image0431.jpgImage0432.jpg Image0431.jpg
why not make me a pizza, its fathers day.... i used the neapolitan 'frying pan and grill method' (thanks to the person on this thread who introduced it here its fucking brill!!!)which has given me better results for crispyness of base but also being fluffy (i.e not turning into cardboard)

passata, basil, and garlic for base sauce

flour, quickyeast, salt, and water for base

toppings: one tomatoe and one onion.

cheese: cheddar, some small slices (about the equivalent of a quarter cheese sandwhich to ensure that im still on the way to my size eight)

total time to make (including eating) 30 mins.

How nice was it?: 7/10 - base was just the way i like it in terms of the crispness at the bottom whilst the top part was fluffy enough. Was slightly heavy, which i knew would happen as i should have given the doh an hour to rise, oh well. Other issues, well, i tried to put hardly any cheese on it because i prefer to get the tomatoe flavour, and also for weight loss reasons, however, the combination of significant amount of pasata along with having tomatoe as a topping made the tomatoe flavor somewhat overpowering.

But yeah yum.Image0439.jpgImage0438.jpg

Attachments

• Image0435.jpg
    Image0435.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 6
ive been making pizza for years, and have never done sour doh before. I think i do need to up my game, does it make a significant difference?

ok, whaaaaat?

just kidding.
listen, this hot dog stuffed crust nonsense is just that - nonsense.
The idea of a hot dog baked inside dough = really good. In fact, they are lovely. They're called bagel dogs 'round here, and come out nice and chewy and wonderful.
However, there's no need to cross them with a pizza.
I suggest skipping the pizza part entirely and just doing the dogs in dough.

bagel+004.JPG

They look yummy!

ive always been kinda proud of my pizzas (especially since doing frying pan method) so i think the only improvement i can make is by giving them the edge. so i will start experimenting with sourdough method.

sons one that i made with the remainded of the dough was even better. I guess cause it had time to rise and with me using less passata and more cheese. Image0440.jpg

(i nicked a couple of slices of it)

Looks like I'm going to have to knock up a batch of pizza dough this evening :cool:

I've found this recipe to be really good for dough: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/sep/05/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall-pizza

Then I roll a chunk of dough out really thinly and use the frying pan + grill method to cook the thing.

I had trouble with the dough continuing to rise in the fridge, threatening to invade the other shelves, so I separate the rest out into individual lumps, wrap them in clingfilm, and put them in the freezer. If I ever fancy pizza, I move a lump of dough to the fridge in the morning, and it's defrosted and ready to rise again in the evening :cool:

the grill and pan method is immense. i recommend all of those who don't have a pizza oven to adopt this method.

Best pizza so far this week:

pizzanoms_2.jpg

Dough left to defrost in the fridge since yesterday evening, then left out to rise for an hour or so in a warm bowl.

Actually cooked this one in the oven, too. Preheated it at max for about an hour, then put a baking tray in for five minutes, before putting the pizza on it and cooking for about 4 minutes 30.

Even the crust is tasty, ffs :cool:

Back
Top Bottom