Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pizzaland (UK chain that disappeared in 90s)

Never even heard of Pizzaland until now. When I was a kid in the 90s it was Pizza Hut that was the place our family went. As well as the salad bar, they had the Ice Cream Factory where us kids could make our own desserts.

This thread made me wonder what became of Spudulike, so I came across this weird site. Hard to tell if it's a revival of the brand or some kind of comedy reference, I have no clue who James Martin is.

Pizzaland was founded by money from Associated Newspapers, the publisher of the Mail.

Spudulike was funded by money from... the British School of Motoring!? How the fuck does that make sense?

Spudulike was funded by money from... the British School of Motoring!? How the fuck does that make sense?

It was Anthony Jacobs’ money, and this was the era of the conglomerate, when cash cows and risky punts nestled together under the same governance, and diversification provided security for businesses which planned for the long term. Ten years later, everybody was divesting non-core assets and anything cash-generative was leveraged up for a fast exit.

I remember Pizzaland. It was the only pizza restaurant in Bromley before Pizza Hut came along. I enjoyed it, especially as eating out was a rare treat in those days.

Last edited:
This thread made me wonder what became of Spudulike, so I came across this weird site. Hard to tell if it's a revival of the brand or some kind of comedy reference, I have no clue who James Martin is.

It’s a revival of the brand. James Martin has tried to take it upmarket but it hasn’t really worked. I visited one earlier this year and it wasn’t great.

:weed:
Used to go for alot of the 'Eat as much as you can' pizza deals in the mid-90s.. Can't remember which restaurant chain though. Apparently the 'Deep Pan Pizza' company was the leading chain doing it at the time.. until it closed in 1998.

Oh for when happiness was as simple as a pizza buffet and the feeling that you were "getting a good deal".. :hmm: :oldthumbsup: :oldthumbsup:

1702209706162.png

It’s a revival of the brand. James Martin has tried to take it upmarket but it hasn’t really worked. I visited one earlier this year and it wasn’t great.

I had to Google to find out he's a TV chef. The pic on the site makes him look more like a 90's comedian playing a 60's English teacher.

mobile-carousel-hero-frame-2@2x.jpg

I vaguely remember Pizzaland as a lesser rival to Pizza Hut. Pizza Hut being better because it was American and, therefore, must be better.

This was at the same time as Bella Italia seemed like a sophisticated place to eat.

It's amazing when I look back at how eating out in the UK has improved so much in my lifetime! I'd barely been to a restaurant before I left home at 18. I'd certainly never had an Indian meal before then.

It's also remarkable how things being better because they're American has done a complete about face as a concept.

I did work at Swansea's first Pizza Hut in 1986ish , got sick of the free pizzas after a while and just gave them away to housemates - one of the supervisors was stealing our tips (we suspected) and was also shagging a few of the female waitresses (and putting them on separate shifts so they didn't run into each other) . Maybe working at Pizzaland would have been better :hmm:

I remember pizzaland, think there was one in Edinburgh that had a great buffet deal until it's takeover by another company (Bella Italia perhaps?) .

As for the findus french bread pizza, as a student I definitely ate them on occasion, adding herbs and more toppings as the mood took me.

Back
Top Bottom