Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pizza

That looks and sounds ace kb. My new years resolution is to make my own and try to last the year without a takeaway or delivery. Our oven is not the best but the few first attempts have been good :)

home made is best but there is just something nice about the laziness of takeaway pizza.

That looks and sounds ace kb. My new years resolution is to make my own and try to last the year without a takeaway or delivery. Our oven is not the best but the few first attempts have been good :)
do you have a breadmaker? i've been mixing the dough in ours recently, and it makes the job a whole lot less onerous (and therefore more likely to happen). no decent takeaway options round here (the only good pizza place doesn't deliver), so it's home made or nothing as far as i'm concerned.

I had cold pizza hut pizza for breakfast this morning (we had vouchers and I fancied fake, doughy pizza alright!). I deliberately order a bigger one so I have leftovers.

It was bloody lovely with sour cream and BBQ dip. : )

It was pepperoni feast with double mushrooms.

I have just had cold Papa Luigi pizza for lunch :)

With EXTRA pineapple. Up yer bums pineapple haterz

:cool: I got a 1/2 pineapple 1/2 chicken pizza last night and realized definitively why pineapple is good on pizza (and why chicken is bad on pizza)
the pineapple 1/2 looked and tasted delicious and fresh. The cheese was gooey, melty, and golden brown, the sauce ripe and flavorful. On the chicken 1/2, the cheese was dry, crusty, and burnt, as was the chicken. The sauce was dry. :hmm:
So, I realized that the pineapple, being full of moisture, must have some sort of steaming effect on the pizza, keeping the cheese and sauce moist and letting it cook longer without burning on top. It's genius!

killer b said:
do you have a breadmaker? i've been mixing the dough in ours recently, and it makes the job a whole lot less onerous (and therefore more likely to happen). no decent takeaway options round here (the only good pizza place doesn't deliver), so it's home made or nothing as far as i'm concerned.

We do have a breadmaker (kind urb donation) which is good news. Our kitchen is small so anything involving flour gets really messy.

Does that count as one of your 5 a day?
Probably only if you aim to eat 5 different bits of protein per day. Although processed tomatoes (I'd be surprised if the pizza doesn't include them) do contain a useful amount of lycopene in them... :hmm:

tonight, i'm going to try spinach & smoked salmon, with an egg broken over the top for the last few minutes.

will report back with pics.

verdict: absolute triumph.

WP_000210.jpg

Right.... tried a sourdough method for tonight's pizzas and I've learned a lot.

I made a starter earlier in the week with flour, water and a sprinkle of dried yeast (cheating I know but time wasn't on my side). Each day part was binned and some more flour/water added in its place.

This morning I made a sponge with 100ml starter, 250g flour and 300ml warm water. This was left to rise for a few hours.

I then made the dough using the sponge, 250g flour and a tbsp of olive oil. This was left to rise for 2 1/2 hours.

I also shaped the base with my hands rather than a rolling pin.

Result:

6737968493_a4d37e9918.jpg

The base was good, but not as light as expected - I think this is due not giving it enough time to rise. I'll add 10 hours onto each process next week.

about 4 -5 minutes i think. i could have handled it a little runnier, but otherwise it's bang on. :cool:

Thanks, fiorentina is absolutely my #1 pizza topping, but I've got a bit of a weird thing about eggs - love them, but cannot even look at runny egg white without heaving and I'd rather run the risk of a slightly solid yolk than slightly runny white - the one in your picture looks great.

Back
Top Bottom