Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pizza

I like the look of both, but please reassure me that the white blobs on your pizza are some form of Italian cheese, rather than the cauliflower it somewhat alarmingly resembles.
I mean I love cauli, but there's a time and a place iykwim :D

Not sure I'd fancy one in the middle of my pizza.
Separately on a side plate, sure, bring it on. It can arrive on the bed of rocket that they also like to put on top of pizzas but has no place being there :D

I lcve rocket on pizza. Are people averse to it cos they don’t like it or because they don’t think it goes with pizza? I like the contrast of the pepperiness with the cheese and tomato
People are weird. They think if it isn’t cooked on the pizza it should be served on a separate plate as a side.

I lcve rocket on pizza. Are people averse to it cos they don’t like it or because they don’t think it goes with pizza? I like the contrast of the pepperiness with the cheese and tomato

Fundamentally and firstly, the flavour. Pepper itself tastes nice and is always welcome on pizza. Rocket is sour and harsh; its claim to pepperiness should be contested.

Secondly, the texture. Unlike legitimate pizza toppings, rocket doesn’t separate on biting and in countless other respects the mouthfeel is jarringly wrong.

Thirdly, the temperature. Cold things don’t belong on a hot pizza. They should be served on a separate plate at a different restaurant.

Last edited:
Fundamentally and firstly, the flavour. Pepper itself tastes nice and is always welcome on pizza. Rocket is sour and harsh; its claim to pepperiness should be contested.

Secondly, the texture. Unlike legitimate pizza toppings, rocket doesn’t separate on biting and in countless other respects the mouthfeel is jarringly wrong.

Thirdly, the temperature. Cold things don’t belong on a hot pizza. They should be served on a separate plate at a different restaurant.
I would normally agree with the third point - never understood why people have their salad with their main course, instead of as a separate course after the main, as is proper. Warmed up leaves are gross. But I'm fine with rocket on pizza somehow

Thinking about recent posts pineapple can heat up well.
Mrs Tag strongly agrees to no rocket which she hates anyway. She also said chicken is wrong.

Thinking about recent posts pineapple can heat up well.
Mrs Tag strongly agrees to no rocket which she hates anyway. She also said chicken is wrong.

I mean I don't mind chicken on there but it's not my first choice of topping tbh.
I think pancetta and mushroom is the thing that makes my heart sing with delight when I see it on a pizzeria menu, I associate chicken as a topping more with very Americanised takeaway pizza and it is fine on that (I do enjoy a good American style pizza too), but would be very low on the list for a more Italian style pizzeria offering.

I mean I don't mind chicken on there but it's not my first choice of topping tbh.
I think pancetta and mushroom is the thing that makes my heart sing with delight when I see it on a pizzeria menu, I associate chicken as a topping more with very Americanised takeaway pizza and it is fine on that (I do enjoy a good American style pizza too), but would be very low on the list for a more Italian style pizzeria offering.
Exactly, the two things are as "different but the same" as a Big Mac and a steak haché from Hawksmoor. Pineapple, chicken, frankfurters, whatever floats your boat on a dirty takeaway and no-one should judge.

I associate chicken as a topping more with very Americanised takeaway pizza
I was mildly surprised to see chicken as a topping when I went to Alla Salute recently. I had been told that it was good by an Italian, and it's hidden away where you'd never find it if you didn't know where it was, so it must be truly magnificent, right?

Wrong. It's OK, and having both black and green olives on a pizza was a first for me and a nice touch, but the crust was thinner than I like it, and it was burnt in a couple of places. Also, my pizza was called O.C.A., and I spent more time than I want to admit wondering what it stood for before I worked out that it just meant olives, capers and anchovies. If there isn't a traditional Italian name for the combination, couldn't they have come up with one? Sorry, didn't take a pic, because it's a small place where everyone can see everyone, and I was alone, and felt that taking a picture would have made me look like the Sad Loner Who Takes Pictures of Pizzas.

I was mildly surprised to see chicken as a topping when I went to Alla Salute recently. I had been told that it was good by an Italian, and it's hidden away where you'd never find it if you didn't know where it was, so it must be truly magnificent, right?

Wrong. It's OK, and having both black and green olives on a pizza was a first for me and a nice touch, but the crust was thinner than I like it, and it was burnt in a couple of places. Also, my pizza was called O.C.A., and I spent more time than I want to admit wondering what it stood for before I worked out that it just meant olives, capers and anchovies. If there isn't a traditional Italian name for the combination, couldn't they have come up with one? Sorry, didn't take a pic, because it's a small place where everyone can see everyone, and I was alone, and felt that taking a picture would have made me look like the Sad Loner Who Takes Pictures of Pizzas.

Good combination of toppings, whatever they call it!
OH had one like that when my parents took us out for pizza before Xmas, I found the dough a little undercooked and lacked structural integrity, but the toppings were top notch - his had proper big anchovies on it. I had one with wild mushrooms, very good toppings.

I accidentally lied in my post. I did take a picture of the pizza, but it must have been a rushed one to avoid being seen taking it, because it isn't a very good one. And now I'm worried that I could completely forget that I'd done so.

20240113_200239~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom