Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pizza

This is not a new thing.

When I first came to England, in the late '70s, I couldn't understand why the pizza was so awful. I had grown up in NYC, where pizza was always a cheap and cheerful option. Quality might vary, but it never plummeted to the depths of British pizza. (Things may have changed -- Domino's is so horrible even by British standards that I was gobsmacked when I learnt it was not only American, but existed in the US when I was growing up. Well, not in NYC, or maybe I was blind to it.)

Then I travelled on the continent, and discovered that most countries had their own slant on pizza, and it was generally good. I came back to England, and it was still awful.

A German who sympathised said that there was one decent pizza place in London. She was right. It was near the Elephant, and there were no rabbits, and it is long gone. This would have been around the turn of the millennium.

Since then there has been a rise in pretentious pizza, but quality has not risen in proportion to price. Some pretentious pizzas are good, or at least good-ish, but there's no guarantee of anything, never has been.
pizzeria castello?

Rain or shine mate. Rain or fucking shine. :mad:

What mozzarella are you using? Mine never goes orange like that.
It was a moz/cheddar mix from Lidl. Which I kinda regret - it's pleasant as a margarita, but too salty with the pancetta.
Edit: margherita. It would probably be an unpleasant margarita too, but not because of the salt.

Last edited:
It's Friday night, the family have gone home and I have just finished a week of nights and we ended up here. Don't go if you haven't booked. The starter was good, might white pizza was the best white pizza I have ever had and the desert was to die for.....cooked by the world's best pizza chef.
IMG_20231013_173228.jpgIMG_20231013_173231_hdr.jpg

Tonight we ventured north ( of the river ) and well outside our comfort zone. Very hot, very fresh, indifferent base and overfilled. Pictures failed badly 😓

Back
Top Bottom