Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pizza

Incidentally has anyone found a pizza place in Lambeth that delivers and is in the same league as Oregano was. I'm missing them a lot.

The sick deviants are evidently the 37% who don't add pineapple.
I mean, in general I agree but it has a caveat... Like no way would I ever put pineapple on a proper, Neapolitain style pizza. But let's face it, a dirty little thing from Pizza GoGo in the middle of the week when you can't be arsed is still a beautiful thing and pineapple totally goes on it.

I mean, in general I agree but it has a caveat... Like no way would I ever put pineapple on a proper, Neapolitain style pizza. But let's face it, a dirty little thing from Pizza GoGo in the middle of the week when you can't be arsed is still a beautiful thing and pineapple totally goes on it.

^ The voice of pizza reason

My geography round that area is poor but my only offer would be 400 rabbits at the elephant.
I will check them out. Unfortunately decent pizza is yet another thing increasingly difficult to find in third world Britain. When Domino's or Papa John's are as good as you can get it's pretty dire for anyone who has spent a significant amount of time in Italy.

I will check them out. Unfortunately decent pizza is yet another thing increasingly difficult to find in third world Britain. When Domino's or Papa John's are as good as you can get it's pretty dire for anyone who has spent a significant amount of time in Italy.
I would never ever go near dominos or Papa John's.
I could reel off a dozen decent pizzerias in London quite easily.
400 rabbits do a rhubarb and goats cheese pizza ( wood fired of course ) that is glorious.

Unfortunately decent pizza is yet another thing increasingly difficult to find in third world Britain.
This is not a new thing.

When I first came to England, in the late '70s, I couldn't understand why the pizza was so awful. I had grown up in NYC, where pizza was always a cheap and cheerful option. Quality might vary, but it never plummeted to the depths of British pizza. (Things may have changed -- Domino's is so horrible even by British standards that I was gobsmacked when I learnt it was not only American, but existed in the US when I was growing up. Well, not in NYC, or maybe I was blind to it.)

Then I travelled on the continent, and discovered that most countries had their own slant on pizza, and it was generally good. I came back to England, and it was still awful.

A German who sympathised said that there was one decent pizza place in London. She was right. It was near the Elephant, and there were no rabbits, and it is long gone. This would have been around the turn of the millennium.

Since then there has been a rise in pretentious pizza, but quality has not risen in proportion to price. Some pretentious pizzas are good, or at least good-ish, but there's no guarantee of anything, never has been.

The sick deviants are evidently the 37% who don't add pineapple.
There used to be a major source of contention in the Q household when Middle was at home and insisted on consuming Marmite to the utter disgust of the rest of the family. She's moved out but her younger sister has picked up the baton by refusing to countenance pineapple on her pizza.
They're my daughters and I love them but sometimes I wonder where I went wrong.

This is not a new thing.

When I first came to England, in the late '70s, I couldn't understand why the pizza was so awful. I had grown up in NYC, where pizza was always a cheap and cheerful option. Quality might vary, but it never plummeted to the depths of British pizza. (Things may have changed -- Domino's is so horrible even by British standards that I was gobsmacked when I learnt it was not only American, but existed in the US when I was growing up. Well, not in NYC, or maybe I was blind to it.)

Then I travelled on the continent, and discovered that most countries had their own slant on pizza, and it was generally good. I came back to England, and it was still awful.

A German who sympathised said that there was one decent pizza place in London. She was right. It was near the Elephant, and there were no rabbits, and it is long gone. This would have been around the turn of the millennium.

Since then there has been a rise in pretentious pizza, but quality has not risen in proportion to price. Some pretentious pizzas are good, or at least good-ish, but there's no guarantee of anything, never has been.
Simple message. Burning the pizza does not make it "artisan". It makes it burnt.

Back
Top Bottom