Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pizza

I wish! Best availability of non-UK stuff where I lived was in Swansea, they had a whole street of it. In Cornwall now and its basically big brand stores, one chinese/cantonese place in Penzance, one that closed in Falmouth doing a bit more than that and a Syrian place that sadly launched just before covid, they had actual goat meat! I can't get that anywhere and never have done.

Closest to Eastern European stuff we have here is the supermarkets adding some Polish bits and pieces. I use mexgrocer for anything remotely out of the very ordinary for mexican stuff, have some sources for bangladeshi spice mixes and a few for the less usual Indian bits and thats about it. Place is so white/british its ridiculous, something like 98.7% if I remember properly. Outside of a hospitals, takeaways and pharmacies you just don't see anyone who isn't white, sure plenty from Denmark/Germany etc but well thats more known personally cos they have native accents and appear white. I had one black guy in my whole college, he ruined the curve for web dev but I won at Mario Kart 8. Worked with a bunch of polish lads and lasses, they mostly had 2 jobs and I helped a few get their motorbike licenses sorted. Sadly now Brexit fucked that glimpse of any cultural influrence that is not a pasty or rich transplant.

Would love to see more diversity in well everything down here, but its just sketchy in general to work out demand. Few South African places doing well, Chinese/Cantonese, Indians/Tibetan/Bangladeshi/conversions to British tastes sure. Past that its sketchy, took me long enough to even find a proper US style BBQ pit and then thats pricey considering.

Anything African I have to import unless its available via restaurants, Mexican is barely existant, taco bell in the US was better 20 years ago, Asian (yes biggest world category) is well sort of okish for the most popular stuff. Polish meat and dumplings, yup. Been to bulgaria and never seen anything like it here. It is a weird combination.

I wish! Best availability of non-UK stuff where I lived was in Swansea, they had a whole street of it. In Cornwall now and its basically big brand stores, one chinese/cantonese place in Penzance, one that closed in Falmouth doing a bit more than that and a Syrian place that sadly launched just before covid, they had actual goat meat! I can't get that anywhere and never have done.

Closest to Eastern European stuff we have here is the supermarkets adding some Polish bits and pieces. I use mexgrocer for anything remotely out of the very ordinary for mexican stuff, have some sources for bangladeshi spice mixes and a few for the less usual Indian bits and thats about it. Place is so white/british its ridiculous, something like 98.7% if I remember properly. Outside of a hospitals, takeaways and pharmacies you just don't see anyone who isn't white, sure plenty from Denmark/Germany etc but well thats more known personally cos they have native accents and appear white. I had one black guy in my whole college, he ruined the curve for web dev but I won at Mario Kart 8. Worked with a bunch of polish lads and lasses, they mostly had 2 jobs and I helped a few get their motorbike licenses sorted. Sadly now Brexit fucked that glimpse of any cultural influrence that is not a pasty or rich transplant.

Would love to see more diversity in well everything down here, but its just sketchy in general to work out demand. Few South African places doing well, Chinese/Cantonese, Indians/Tibetan/Bangladeshi/conversions to British tastes sure. Past that its sketchy, took me long enough to even find a proper US style BBQ pit and then thats pricey considering.

Anything African I have to import unless its available via restaurants, Mexican is barely existant, taco bell in the US was better 20 years ago, Asian (yes biggest world category) is well sort of okish for the most popular stuff. Polish meat and dumplings, yup. Been to bulgaria and never seen anything like it here. It is a weird combination.

Yeah I was thinking it might be a tall order, I mean I used to live in Surrey and wouldn't have been able to get anything like that locally and that's only 40 miles from London (which is where I'd have ended up heading to buy anything of the sort!)

Back
Top Bottom