Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pilchards are great - anyone who doesn't like them is a proper wrong 'un

Do you like pilchards?

• Yes

• No

• I'm danny la rouge and work for the Pilchard Marketing Board

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't think I've ever eaten something labeled as pilchards but I love tinned sardines on toast and I think pilchards and sardines are pretty much the same beast so...

Used to do a lot of dinghy racing in Newquay Bay down in Cornwall while the safety boat crew jigged for pilchard if it was a quiet day. We’d take the day’s catch in the evening down to an isolated beach called Polly Joke, dig a hole in the sand and light a charcoal fire. Wrap the fish in tinfoil, put them on the fire and cover them over with sand. Sit back and drink a little home-brewed beer of variable quality. Wonderful memories of those soft, dark Cornish nights.

Has anybody here tried starry gazey pie? A fish pie with the pilchard’s heads sticking up through the centre of the pastry or mashed potato topping?

When my niece was quite small - a bit more than a toddler - she used to be looked after by her grandparents [my parents-in-law],
One of "grandas" favourite foods for lunch was pilchards on toast.
Now, little niece was at the age when she picked up words and repeated new ones, quite a common thing, as you know.
So, one day someone - not me - managed "bugger it" in her hearing, which resulted in her running around yelling "bugger" quite a lot.
To stop the embarrassment she was told that "Pilchards" was an even worse word, one that she must never say [you know where this is going ?]

Result was granda was having "bugger on toast" for the next few months ... and we were able to face the other people in the local restaurant for meals out.

I used to eat a lot of sardines/pilchards on toast when I was little, my mum used to mash up the fish in the tomato sauce before putting it on my toast.
One time my dad made it for me and he just took the fish out of the tin and laid them whole on my toast.
This resulted in me in floods of tears, wailing "but I didn't know they were fish, they should be swimming"

Nothing can quite beat fresh ones split and grilled/barbecued, with a bit of salad and some crusty bread and butter.
But when going for tinned I prefer the in tomato sauce version with those same accompaniments, makes a lovely light lunch or tea. Also like mackerel (fresh or tinned) the same way.
The idea of in batter like a toad is just not doing it for me :D

I thought capers were fish for ages, and I reckon if you told me that pilchards are actually whatever kind of a plant capers are, I'd probably think "hmm, that sounds plausible I suppose". Although not now that I've read this thread, I'm now fairly confident that pilchards are fish. I could definitely tell the difference between capers and pilchards if you showed me some, though.

Back
Top Bottom