Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pilchards are great - anyone who doesn't like them is a proper wrong 'un

Do you like pilchards?

• Yes

• No

• I'm danny la rouge and work for the Pilchard Marketing Board

Results are only viewable after voting.
Used to get a 400g tin in one of the British Army ration packs. Everyone else hated them so I had tin to myself! Fucking result that was!

we had cans of salmon in the 10 man packs - just a tube of salmon with a big spine going through it.

Obviously, I say Salmon...

Used to get a 400g tin in one of the British Army ration packs. Everyone else hated them so I had tin to myself! Fucking result that was!

I was like that with the cheese possessed. Used to come with the guard rations, but no one else liked it. I've seen me going home with four or five 30oz tins. It was exactly the diameter of a rich tea biscuit.

I just don’t know what to do with this news. :(
When I chose pilchardman as my alter ego (after a little local difficulty with using U75 at work) it was because I’d been telling the pilchard puff story on here. The whole point of the pilchard puff story is that it’s got fucking pilchards in it! If it was, I dunno, “chocolate delight” there would be no jeopardy!

This is my only pilchard recipe! Though I'd add veg/sweetcorn/peppers/whatever as well. Lidl do sardines in a spicy tomato sauce if you fancy something a bit different :D
It works best with foreskin pasta as they have the right nooks and crannies to capture the mashed fish.

The type of pasta has a specific name but it does look like the dried removed foreskins so I always think of it as that.

When I chose pilchardman as my alter ego (after a little local difficulty with using U75 at work) it was because I’d been telling the pilchard puff story on here. The whole point of the pilchard puff story is that it’s got fucking pilchards in it! If it was, I dunno, “chocolate delight” there would be no jeopardy!

I’m not familiar with the pilchard puff story. I think you were already pilchardman when I began my pre-post 2 year lurk.

I’m not familiar with the pilchard puff story. I think you were already pilchardman when I began my pre-post 2 year lurk.
Retold here.

Dads cooking. Oh, you’ll never know the tribulations. My Auld Da (he’s 85 now) was enlightened for his class and era, and would cook for us when Mum went out. (She’d go to the pub with pals, or various night classes and activities). He thought of himself as a wayward genius in the kitchen. Thing is he loved pilchards, which Mum hated, so when she went out we were getting pilchards. But he didn’t stick to normal things like pilchards on toast. Oh my got no, it was haute cuisine from his fucking head is what it was.

Pilchard puff was one invention. That was toad in the hole but instead of sausages it was pilchards. Pilchard stovies (stovies is a Scottish dish somewhere between corned beef hash and stew, in which any meat can be used, but never pilchards). Basically any dish that shouldn’t have pilchards in, you replace the meat component with pilchards. And he was always so proud of himself.

Dad’s cooking was the reason I learned to cook. On days Mum was out we’d rush home from school to try to get in the kitchen before Dad.

It was good because I wanted to be vegetarian throughout my teens, and I could only do that if I took on cooking duties. But also I wanted to explore. I wanted to try adventurous things. You could say I got that from Da. Maybe I did.

But my parents, bless them, were very willing to eat what I’d cook, even if it was outside of their repertoire. Though Mum would always be quizzing me about where the protein was, and was there enough of it.

Ah well. I was never sure whether you loved pilchards and changed username when you went veggie to avoid continually reminding yourself of your ongoing grief, or whether it was your superhero alter-ego ot something.
I was already veggie. Been fully veggie since I was 18.

Ah well. I was never sure whether you loved pilchards and changed username when you went veggie to avoid continually reminding yourself of your ongoing grief, or whether it was your superhero alter-ego ot something.

No offence like, but that would be a fairly shit superhero.
What superpowers are involved?
Breathing underwater and being half decent as an emergency late night meal ingredient?
Omega3?

Back
Top Bottom