Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pics from your State Sanctioned Exercise.

I didn't realise how long it was since I last looked at this thread. So may great photos to catch up on!

I took a quick walk this evening through the woods and onto the chalk downland behind my house.

Looking up at a tall Hogweed flower

So many orchids on the downland...

Love the Bee Orchid, and the Pyramidals seem to be at their peak atm on the Roundshaw :thumbs:

Have you seen any of these fellas up on your Downs?

1625305898602.png

Past it's prime and it took a while to identify it; at first I was thinking some sort of orchid but, turns out, it's quite an interesting parasitic plant that freeloads off the poor old clover. The Common Broomrape or, at the old shepherds used to call it the Hellroot, presumably because it diminished the clover & pasture for their flocks?

Love the Bee Orchid, and the Pyramidals seem to be at their peak atm on the Roundshaw :thumbs:

Have you seen any of these fellas up on your Downs?

View attachment 276553

Past it's prime and it took a while to identify it; at first I was thinking some sort of orchid but, turns out, it's quite an interesting parasitic plant that freeloads off the poor old clover. The Common Broomrape or, at the old shepherds used to call it the Hellroot, presumably because it diminished the clover & pasture for their flocks?
Yes, the pyramid orchids all seem to have burst into life around here too. I only had my phone with me so couldn't get a better focused picture of the bee orchid.

I haven't spotted that particular parasitic plant but there's something similar in the woods behind me that is a parasite on the roots of some of the trees (beech, I think). It flowers earlier in the year and I've never managed to get a photo of it looking its best.

Crownstone Road, SW2:

20210705_124649.jpg

Brockwell Park:

20210705_135841.jpg

(That is a sculpture in progress, of various animals, being carved out of the branch of a tree blown over by some winds. There's a big fence around it so I couldn't get close enough to take a better picture).

IMG_20210705_180123_252.jpg

IMG_20210705_180123_306.jpg
(That is the latest of the ceramic hearts I'm glueing in places that hold memories for me of my dog Ruby. There are many parts of Brockwell Park I want to place hearts, but this is a start. It's between the ponds and the walled garden).

20210705_142319.jpg

(That is what it looks like, some street art on the edge of the park, which I am calling "Bleeding Heart").

Back
Top Bottom