Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pics from your State Sanctioned Exercise.

White horses on hills; almost nowhere else on earth has chalk bedrock to make them with, yet we just accept they are there. Many are Victorian, Uffington may be 1000’s of years old, we have no real way of knowing. But they are fucking brilliant, every one of them!

Litlington White Horse. Lovely walk from Seven Sisters Country Park along the river bank of the Cuckmere to The Plough & Harrow in Litlington for lunch & a pint.

Don't know that one at all, but sounds a lovely area, I forgot they're chalk figures in Sussex. Wilmington as well (didn't know that was Sussex until now).

But they are fucking brilliant, every one of them!

:thumbs: Pewsey and Uffington are the 2 I've been to most. Uffington is :cool:

I’ve done the vale of the white horse half marathon a while ago, that started from Grove, Oxfordshire so must have been Uffington. I’ve also done vale of pewsey half marathon but can’t remember seeing a white horse there :confused:

I’ve done the vale of the white horse half marathon a while ago, that started from Grove, Oxfordshire so must have been Uffington. I’ve also done vale of pewsey half marathon but can’t remember seeing a white horse there :confused:
Pewsey white horse is outside the village to the south, it's below the road as you climb out of the village on the way towards Ludgershall & Tidworth. It's small and was only done in 1937 in it's current form, but there had been a deteriorated one there before that, it's not known how old I don't think.

Must have been nice to run in the vale of the white horse. Used to go to Uffington every year for a while, to camp, but not recently. It's a good walk up to the horse. And Wayland's Smithy (prehistoric site/burial mound) is not far away and worth a visit too, it's on the Ridgeway. Been there for Winter Solstice.

Ah, the half marathon went out of Pewsey to the west towards Honeystreet so that’s why I didn’t see them.

I spent a lot of time on the Ridgeway when I ran a bit and lived in Berkshire - usually on the stretch between Watlington and Wantage so not quite as far as Waylands Smithy :(

It’s also a modern creation but also in Wiltshire are the Fovant Badges - I ran past them in yet another half marathon and got confused as I thought the bloke telling me about we would be able to see them shortly meant “badgers” :D

Litlington White Horse. Lovely walk from Seven Sisters Country Park along the river bank of the Cuckmere to The Plough & Harrow in Litlington for lunch & a pint.
Fantastic pub that. Used to treat my family like kings. Pity the nearby youth hostel closed as took the children there on birthdays for wonderful walks when we were next to skint.

Back
Top Bottom