Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pics from your State Sanctioned Exercise.

The Purley Way (west) playing field meadows have been cut (for hay?) and the scene is curiously rural and archaic...the A23 is under those trees!

1630788386344.png

1630788500858.png

Croydon town skyline above the trees spoils the Pieter Bruegel the Elder vibe...

1630788554077.png

Autumn is here...

1630788721922.png

But still a few lovely Meadow Browns, like this female, around...

1630788807221.png

The Purley Way (west) playing field meadows have been cut (for hay?) and the scene is curiously rural and archaic...the A23 is under those trees!

View attachment 286790

View attachment 286792

Croydon town skyline above the trees spoils the Pieter Bruegel the Elder vibe...

View attachment 286793

Autumn is here...

View attachment 286795

But still a few lovely Meadow Browns, like this female, around...

View attachment 286796
Ours was cut about a week or so ago. Tandridge has an arrangement with a contractor that they cut it and get to keep the hay.

The machinery they use shakes up the cut hay to let the wild flower seeds drop out so we'll have a decent meadow next year. In earlier years the hay has been cut far too soon but last year it was left a bit later as a result of the pandemic so we had a good show of flowers this year. As it's been left longer this year we should have an even more diverse show of flowers next year.

Apparently, you have to get the balance just right. Cut it too soon and not enough flowers have set seed. Cut it too late and there's a risk the cut hay will have lost its nutrients and that it will be too wet to collect. I suspect our contractors will be back soon to collect up the hay which has been drying.

There's still much debate in the local community about the chalk grassland. Some, including a lot of the dog walkers want to see it cut earlier as they see it as just a large area of grass like an "urban" park and think it should be a "manicured" lawn. They say the long grass increases the risks of picking up ticks. I've ended up with one unwanted hitch-hiker. Others see it as a rare landscape which is rich in flora and fauna. It's part of the 2% of this landscape which is all that remains in northwest Europe.

I'm pleased to hear that the local environmentalists have been winning the battle. Our local councillor set up a meeting with the district and county councils, the contractors and environmentalists and it has been agreed it will be cut no earlier than 25th July each year. I'd have preferred a few weeks later but they had to compromise.

Back
Top Bottom