Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Peckham Town FC - news and discussion

That was truly bizarre today, seemed like absolute chaos from the moment we arrived.

Is there anything stopping the referee delaying kick-off to give the pitch another 30 minutes? Regardless, seemed like a fairly normal autumnal pitch.

Whether it was the right wrong decision, the Dr Robotnik cosplaying referee didn't seem to be handling it very well.

That was truly bizarre today, seemed like absolute chaos from the moment we arrived.

Is there anything stopping the referee delaying kick-off to give the pitch another 30 minutes? Regardless, seemed like a fairly normal autumnal pitch.

Whether it was the right wrong decision, the Dr Robotnik cosplaying referee didn't seem to be handling it very well.
Lack of floodlights for a start. I doubt another 30 minutes would have made any difference after freezing temperatures for several consecutive nights, albeit less severe last night.

I didn't go inside the ground, so can't comment on whether or not it looked playable. The issue is that the same bloke has apparently passed it fit 3 hours earlier, then changed his mind even though both teams wanted to play. (I'm just going by what other supporters told me there.)

Lack of floodlights for a start. I doubt another 30 minutes would have made any difference after freezing temperatures for several consecutive nights, albeit less severe last night.

I didn't go inside the ground, so can't comment on whether or not it looked playable. The issue is that the same bloke has apparently passed it fit 3 hours earlier, then changed his mind even though both teams wanted to play. (I'm just going by what other supporters told me there.)

I'm told he arrived at 10.30 and passed it fit. I wasn't there, but in the past the two corner flag areas nearest the road are the last to thaw. We had a Cup game last season that went ahead with these parts still suspect, but rest of the pitch fine/soft.

What I can't fathom is why he did not ask for a more cautionary message to be sent out, i.e. subject to further inspection. Instead, it was just match on (when he clearly still had a doubt).

The inconvenience caused to supporters and Borden Village by doing this is inexcusable really. However, as ever there will be no recourse for his actions, no compensation for supporters/Borden Village for their wasted travel and no apology for a wasted afternoon.

I'm told he arrived at 10.30 and passed it fit. I wasn't there, but in the past the two corner flag areas nearest the road are the last to thaw. We had a Cup game last season that went ahead with these parts still suspect, but rest of the pitch fine/soft.

What I can't fathom is why he did not ask for a more cautionary message to be sent out, i.e. subject to further inspection. Instead, it was just match on (when he clearly still had a doubt).

The inconvenience caused to supporters and Borden Village by doing this is inexcusable really. However, as ever there will be no recourse for his actions, no compensation for supporters/Borden Village for their wasted travel and no apology for a wasted afternoon.
If he'd said "game on, subject to improvement after a further inspection" the visitors would have had to travel anyway. That's what happened with Hamlet’s trip to Braintree last season, that was due to be televised live. That was no sort of preparation for our team, being told to travel to a ground knowing they probably wouldn't play, but might have to.

Frankly if it was unfit at 11am he should have just called it off, and if it was borderline he should have stuck with his original decision, because it can't possibly have got any worse between 11am and 2pm with the sun out and no rain or drop in temperature.

Personally it was a toss up between Peckham and a ground tick at Sporting Bengal once the Hamlet game was off. The latter had local opposition (Barking) and made it clear the match referee would make a late call, so the early inspection at Peckham with a "game on" verdict swung it for me.

I ended up at Lewisham Borough with friends in a crowd of 124, and the game was decided by the best direct free kick I've seen for years, so it was probably a better afternoon out in the end than going to East London on my own for a game that attracted an attendance of just 45 in an athletics stadium.

Match was on at 11am, conditions improved, then the same referee judged it unplayable at 1.58. WTF.

Got to feel for the players and the team behind the scenes who did everything to get ready for a decent 100+ crowd who had rocked up. Probably 200 beers going unsold and a load of merch.

You could understand it if conditions had got worse, or if a different ref had assessed it earlier, but the same guy!!!
I heard that it was the later arriving linesmen who over ruled the ref.

The final decision is nothing to do with the Assistant. Referees decision is final. It is possible the Assistant said something which persuaded the referee to postpone, but an Assistant cannot overrule the match Referee

I heard that it was the later arriving linesmen who over ruled the ref.
I heard that suggestion too. The linesman can't "overrule" the referee. All I can think of is that he may have persuaded the referee it was unsafe for himself to run the touchline.

The final decision is nothing to do with the Assistant. Referees decision is final. It is possible the Assistant said something which persuaded the referee to postpone, but an Assistant cannot overrule the match Referee

Interesting. In cricket, it just takes one umpire to say it's not fit to play to be off. You'd have thought that in football, if one official says that, then the same would apply.

Interesting. In cricket, it just takes one umpire to say it's not fit to play to be off. You'd have thought that in football, if one official says that, then the same would apply.
But you don't have two umpires, or two referees, in football. The referee's (singular) decision is final. If football was cricket we'd have referees calling games off for bad light!

But you don't have two umpires, or two referees, in football. The referee's (singular) decision is final. If football was cricket we'd have referees calling games off for bad light!
If football was cricket you also have a lot more subs sent off before coming on for being timed out…

So, all being well, the irresistible force of Peckham should finally be able to start a home game in 2024 against the unmovable object of Bermondsey, in a match already being described as "on this Saturday", 27th Jan, ko at 2pm.

Last edited:
So, all being well, the irresistible force of Peckham should finally be able to start a home game in 2024 against the unmovable object of Bermondsey, in a match already being described as "on this Saturday", 27th Jan, ko at 3pm.
2pm….?

This is what it looked like - the rest of the pitch looked in excellent condition.

Doesn't seem that long ago that you'd see the top teams in the land regularly playing on surfaces like this.

1706105920374.png

1706106001169.png

Change of venue and kick off time for the Feminista this weekend. Currently second in Division 1 North of the LWSFL we’re taking on Camden Town Yellows at Clapham Common (not Tooting Bec, thank 🤬) and kicking off at midday rather than the previously announced 1:30pm. Should be a cracking game as the team are on their best run of results since reforming post pandemic and in fine goal scoring form. Six straight wins and 37 goals scored in 7 games. Six of those came in reverse fixture with Peckham running out 6-2 winners over our North London opponents. All support much appreciated!

Change of venue and kick off time for the Feminista this weekend. Currently second in Division 1 North of the LWSFL we’re taking on Camden Town Yellows at Clapham Common (not Tooting Bec, thank 🤬) and kicking off at midday rather than the previously announced 1:30pm. Should be a cracking game as the team are on their best run of results since reforming post pandemic and in fine goal scoring form. Six straight wins and 37 goals scored in 7 games. Six of those came in reverse fixture with Peckham running out 6-2 winners over our North London opponents. All support much appreciated!
Strange game today against frustrating opponents. Won 5-2 to keep the pressure up on leaders Franchester. Incredibly dominant performance though had one of those days when chances just wouldn’t go in. More details later.

And the women’s team continued their winning stretch with a gutsy 1-0 against an industrious (and occasionally industrial 😱 ) Tooting Bec. With a squad of just 11, so no subs, this an incredibly tenacious performance from the moment Ray tucked home the only goal of the game earlier on until that final whistle blew. This was no “park the bus” performance though as we forced a multitude of corners to their 2, created a sack load of opportunities to their handful. It was just one of those days when the ball just wouldn’t find the back of the net. Things get super serious next when we play Franchester United who led the table at the start of play though who knows what might have happened in their encounter with Croydon WFC this morning.

Fantastic game today: Bexley went one up at which point their goalie bizarrely decided to tell the home fans to 'shush,' which backfired quite gloriously as four goals went thumping into his net :)

Odd chap. Here he is making lots of noise after our fourth.

Back
Top Bottom